Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo2 View Post
Thanks for helping me prove my point. Here is a typical type that just doesn't get it. He starts out saying to each his own, but he can't handle both sides wanting the same thing. Let me try and spell it out, to the majority here, "his own" means Mormon, get use to it.
I am not sure what I have helped to prove. I am not sure what both sides want. I guess you cannot understand people posting a different perspective than the norm. You know what, there are people outside of the church that have different perspective on things. And so what if I tell people that it is really f'ing annoying to hear church talk everywhere I go. You know what? I am evolved enough to talk about different things. My life pretty much revolves around skiing, which is why I am in Utah. But I don't *** on an on about something that I know a lot of people don't care about. Nor do I try to convert people and then ignore them when they won't go skiing with me. Don't like what I have to say? Is that why you accuse me of complaining?

I would like to add that I know one of my neighbors is Mormon, and they are wonderful. The other three, I don't know there religion and really don't care.

Why is it so wrong or annoying for people to post honest straightforward answers to questions posed by people who want to move here. With the large Mormon influence, Utah has a unique culture. And I don't see why it is wrong to share a perspective outside the "norm" with people who are thinking of moving here.

Coolcats, I do appreciate your posts on this board, but I would like to play devils advocate here to your point [quote]My biggest concern is that people attribute all things they don't like to the "Mormons." For example, if your Mormon neighbor is stand-offish, people assume they are that way because they are Mormon.

Why not think that the person is stand-offish, and they happen to be Mormon? If the same thing happened, say in Des Moines, there wouldn't as easily be the broad-brush label that could be applied.[quote]

Ask the coworkers I worked with why they whispered and gossiped about me when they found out I was not Mormon. And no, I am not just assuming that they did this because they were Mormon. The one nice person I worked with tipped me off, because I had not figured out why they would not respond to me.

It goes both ways, I am not say that there are not people who unnecessarily bash the Mormon religion, and I am not out to do that.

I like to spend my Sundays biking in the summer and fall, and skiing in the winter. I don't judge people for spending their day at the church (less crowded slopes for me), but I would just ask not to be judged for the way I spend my weekends. And if you are saying that I that is just the way people are, then you are basically confirming the fact that a lot of Mormons (of course not all) are judgmental of other peoples lives.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:17 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
In a job I used to have, I spoke with people from Utah all the time, obviously man being Mormons and while I don't believe in their religion, I never had ONE of them be rude to me, they were all VERY friendly and nice.

People will cloak intolerance for other groups by making up things like "all Mormons are stand offish".

Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo2 View Post
I see thread after thread of people criticizing or being shocked by the fact that Utah/Salt Lake doesn't offer the same shopping or dining experiences they are use to. They also seem to feel free to criticize the Mormon faith, this is all very perplexing to me.

To me this is a no-brainer. I wouldn't move to Texas if I were looking for good skiing. I wouldn't move to Montana if I hated the cold, so why do they move here and expect it to be the same as what they left? If I moved to Rome, I would expect most of the people to be of the Catholic faith, is this a hard concept to grasp or is it just me? Furthermore, I wouldn't expect a whole community to change just because I now live among them.

Salt Lake does offer fine dinning, but it's not New York... expect this. Salt Lake is smaller than New York or LA, so it stands to reason the shopping experience will be limited in proportion, doesn't this make sense? Furthermore, believe it or not, you may run into some people of the Mormon faith here... what a shock? If you don't like the family values here... now think about this for a moment............. don't move here, or if you do please assimilate!
i like your post. i moved here but i like some stuff but not other stuff.
if you want good manners move to mississippi
if you want prosperity and good weather come here.
my uncle says livin in california is like livin with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.
in mississippi people are real real nice and the weather is lousy
here it is exactly the opposite.

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 AM

23 posts, read 63,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think some people just like to complain. They would find something to whine about no matter where they moved.

Who in their right mind moves to SLC and complains about the Mormons. That would be the SAME kind of people who move to Miami and complain about the Hispanics.
Yes, you understand... golightlygirl & easternerDC are you listening? I am sick and tired of hearing people like this bash Utahans for being Utahans. They always say things like live and let live, but only as long as the world fits them first! They are the first to label, the first to judge, then they spread their warped perception of someplace to others. I can never understand if it's merely money/jobs there after as to why they moved here, then here is another reason why Utah is so great. If it was so great back in their state, why couldn't they find a job there... the easy answer... because it wasn't so great. I do have trouble with some of my non Mormon neighbors, they have a preconceived notion of who I am and how I act... I wonder where they got that from???? Is it possible they themselves set the tone for how people react to them... yes!

This is by far the best state in the union for me and my family. I will never move to another state and expect it to change to suite me... even if I can make more money, my family is worth more than that... another value which seems to escape some here!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i like your post. i moved here but i like some stuff but not other stuff.
if you want good manners move to mississippi
if you want prosperity and good weather come here.
my uncle says livin in california is like livin with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.
in mississippi people are real real nice and the weather is lousy
here it is exactly the opposite.

stephen s
san diego ca
Someone get this person some more paint

Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 AM

[quote=easternerDC;1873592]
Quote:

Ask the coworkers I worked with why they whispered and gossiped about me when they found out I was not Mormon. And no, I am not just assuming that they did this because they were Mormon. The one nice person I worked with tipped me off, because I had not figured out why they would not respond to me.
I don't think this is a non-Mormon issue, but I do think it was a knee-jerk reactionary answer from a non-Mormon paintbrush holding friend.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I am not sure what I have helped to prove. I am not sure what both sides want. I guess you cannot understand people posting a different perspective than the norm. You know what, there are people outside of the church that have different perspective on things. And so what if I tell people that it is really f'ing annoying to hear church talk everywhere I go. You know what? I am evolved enough to talk about different things. My life pretty much revolves around skiing, which is why I am in Utah. But I don't *** on an on about something that I know a lot of people don't care about. Nor do I try to convert people and then ignore them when they won't go skiing with me. Don't like what I have to say? Is that why you accuse me of complaining?
Who sounds like the holly roller now? More evolved... give me a break, sounds like a foul mouth ski bum to me. I don't think you have ever given any thought to your own values... and by the way values aren't always just what you want them to be, they can be quite hard to strive for. If you had, you would want the same things. See, when you do truly try and assimilate and respect your new well established culture, then the things you say would sound just as bad and insulting to you as they do to most Utahans, but I doubt you will ever understand that.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
A superb point, I have experienced all manner of less than ideal neighbors wherever I have lived. I attribute their behavior to their individual personalities and never give any thought to their particular religion. On this forum, however, it seems as though it is impossible for someone to make a negative comment about a crummy neighbor without mentioning the religion of the neighbor.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I'll agree with you that there is a tendency among some people here to do that. But it isn't limited to just you. Two weeks ago we were invited to the home of an LDS family that we knew from the DC area. Like us and you, they also have relocated to Utah from the DC area. Even though these people are LDS, they said they felt judged by their neighbors because they only have one child, while their neighbors have the common large 4, 5, 6 child families.

I don't know how much of their feelings were due to over-sensitivity and how much was real. But I will say that there probably are some people who pass judgement way too easily. But I attribute that to having almost a small-town, sheltered mentality rather than a universal religious norm.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I'll agree with you that there is a tendency among some people here to do that. But it isn't limited to just you. Two weeks ago we were invited to the home of an LDS family that we knew from the DC area. Like us and you, they also have relocated to Utah from the DC area. Even though these people are LDS, they said they felt judged by their neighbors because they only have one child, while their neighbors have the common large 4, 5, 6 child families.

I don't know how much of their feelings were due to over-sensitivity and how much was real. But I will say that there probably are some people who pass judgement way too easily. But I attribute that to having almost a small-town, sheltered mentality rather than a universal religious norm.
I totally agree. I wish people did not pas judgment so quickly. And I don't think its just me. And I think people are also to quick to judge people of faith here. Its not my choice, but like I said before I live my life and am having a fabulous time biking here, and cannot wait for the winter. I don't think it is unique to Utah either. Judgmental people are everywhere.

Aside: My whole point in this thread was to defend "complainers". I don't think most people are complaining when they say respond to posts asking what an east coaster will think about the food and shopping here. If someone asks, I will share my perspective. Of course, any idiot knows it is not going to be the same, and saying that the restaurant options are limited does not mean that I think everything is horrible. I have found quite a few restaurants that I like, but I do miss the diversity of food choices. Yes, I knew it would be so, but I should not be criticized for saying I miss it.

And if someone asks what life is like as a non-mormon, why should we stop people from sharing their perspectives. Just because I had one bad experience in that office (and thank GOD, I am not there anymore), does not mean that I hate Mormons - far from it. However, I think it happens enough that someone may want to keep that in the back of their mind before they move here. In my current workplace, I am glad I work with a more diverse group of people, international students, some Utahns, and at least in this office the religious talk is not as prevalent as in other departments here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: