U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 44,600 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Utah, but my and my girlfriend are thinking of moving our family there. We are looking to escape the high crime, highly over populated area of Florida we live in now. We are taking a trip to utah this summer and we plan on doing a lot of exploring. It is easy to find the nice areas in any city, but what I wanna know what is the worse neighborhood in say from northern SLC to Provo as that's the area we are thinking about. Please be as specific as possible (down to city streets if need be) as again I've never been there yet and just naming a city is not narrow enough. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,898,176 times
I will be honest here. Compared to many areas of the US, there really are no horrible neighborhoods here. There are a couple of areas in which I would *prefer* not to live, but none that I would actually be afraid of. Personally I would not want to live in Rose Park (The Rose Park community is very small. It is defined as west of I-15, north of 600 North, and east of Redwood Road) and some areas of West Valley, although other areas of West Valley are newer and not as bad. The areas around 3000S to approximately 5600 S and from eh 900 W to around 5600 W is not someplace that I would probably choose to live if I had my druthers. I would not have any qualms about driving in those areas, so you don't have to totally avoid those areas. There is an area of Sandy (White City) that I probably would not choose to live in either. I don't know those coordinates very well however, as I don't live out that way.

Provo? A word of advice...a cute little town, but if you are not LDS I would probably stay away from Utah County all together. Personally I could live there (and I am not LDS) and wouldn't have an issue, but the general consensus from those that have lived there is that if you are not Mormon, there are probably other areas that would be a better fit for you.

Check out this link for more info on the different areas of the Wasatch Front:

My map of Salt Lake area neigborhoods

Enjoy your visit!!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,085,615 times
I'll just keep this real simple and paint with a very wide brush, so for those that get ticked and come after me will probably be complaining I'm counting their home area in this but here goes. Just avoid ANY town from the NW part of Salt Lake (Glendale, Rose Park, West Valley City, Taylorsville, Kerns, Magna) begin at South Jordan on the West side down to Herriman as acceptable. On the East side avoid the City other than Sugarhouse area East and then avoid South Salt Lake but otherwise the East portions of the burbs like E. Millcreek, Holladay, Cottonwood Hts, Eastern Sandy, Draper are good as well. Utah County is big time LDS so if you are not LDS you may want to stick to Salt Lake County.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,898,176 times
Drat...forgot about Glendale.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 44,600 times
Thank you for the answers, these are answers I'm looking for. I'm sure the bad areas are nothing like the ones I live but I just wanna check them out when I'm there. I'm not LDS and I have 2 kids. Is American Fork not a great place for my family since we are not very religious?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:08 PM

21,869 posts, read 21,999,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel2436 View Post
Thank you for the answers, these are answers I'm looking for. I'm sure the bad areas are nothing like the ones I live but I just wanna check them out when I'm there. I'm not LDS and I have 2 kids. Is American Fork not a great place for my family since we are not very religious?
I'd say no to American Fork. American Fork is in Utah County, and since you're not LDS, I don't believe American Fork would be a particularly good fit. If I were you, I would not consider anywhere south of Salt Lake County.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 PM

601 posts, read 1,633,774 times
Watch the news. If something happens like shootings, murder or car chases you always see Unified Police

Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 AM

835 posts, read 1,786,776 times
I don't get your point TCA?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 AM

763 posts, read 1,674,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
On the East side avoid the City other than Sugarhouse area East and then avoid South Salt Lake but otherwise the East portions of the burbs like E. Millcreek, Holladay, Cottonwood Hts, Eastern Sandy, Draper are good as well.
Avoid the east side of SLC other than Sugar House? You mean like Federal Heights and Yalecrest?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,085,615 times
I didn't even mention those Zionide as most can't afford them anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or