Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 52,640 times

Advertisements

I’m an Australian high school teacher. I’ve had a strong desire to move to Utah for some years and feel that the time is now right to start doing something about it. I would like to settle somewhere between Salt Lake and Provo. Pay rates for beginning teachers in Utah school districts are absurdly low by Australian standards and I’m trying to get an idea on the cost of living. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to raise a family of my wife and 4 kids while paying off a mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 PM

11 posts, read 115,034 times
Just curious, why Utah?

It is not an easy task. My husband has been a teacher for 12 years. Luckily we bought a home before home prices gorged, (and we still felt house poor until last year) but there still might be some hope as it is now a buyers market. We live close to his school so that he can ride his bike, (even in the rain and snow bless his heart) so that we only need one car. Luckily he had some years under his belt before we married and had kids. I know other families whose wives have to work, or they are receiving help from the govt. like W.I.C. It is not impossible and people do it all the time, but it is hard. Check out all the districts as they each pay a little different and have different retirement benefits. Try renting first for financial reasons and to make sure you like the area. There are HUD homes that go for much cheaper than regular homes. (For instance, two HUD homes in my neighborhood sold for $130,000 at the time we bought ours for $155,000.) (Our homes are now worth $250,000.) These are homes that families have defaulted on their loans and now the govt. owns them. The govt. just wants to get what is owed on them. We tried a few but they are quite popular in Utah. It is a closed bid and the home goes to the highest bidder. Most need some TLC, but you'd be surprised how many are in good neighborhoods and still in good shape. You will probably have to live without cable TV and internet. No fancy cars. Eat out once in a while. Work odd jobs in the summer. BUT remember, you are making a difference in a teenager's life. Teachers are priceless!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM

thanks for your response GEMx3. The only reason why I'm thinking of Utah is because of the church, I've always felt an urge to move there. I'm not terribly interested in the other 49 states, although parts of Nevadah, Arizona and Idaho have some appeal.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:56 AM

11 posts, read 115,034 times
Those states don't pay much better, but the weather is warmer in Nevada and Arizona. House prices are better in Idaho.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Hi
I know that HUD has a program for teachers. If you buy in certain areas, you can buy the house for half of what HUD is asking.

Here is some info if you are interested.

HUD Good Neighbor Next Door Program

Thank you for teaching! It isn't an easy job and not everyone can do it!!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murena99 View Post
thanks for your response GEMx3. The only reason why I'm thinking of Utah is because of the church, I've always felt an urge to move there. I'm not terribly interested in the other 49 states, although parts of Nevadah, Arizona and Idaho have some appeal.
Thank for your GEMx3 and Kaytidid,

I am the wife of murena99, who is a bit scared of living the secure life our family have here in the national capital of australia. I only felt good about moving to Utah because my eldest sister's family and kids, some nephews and cousins live there and here in OZ I do not have a relative and my husband's family are small and live far away from each other. Family is very important to me. I felt good moving there because of church (Mormon) and also family. Faith, I have plenty of experienced following that and if I move it will only be because of Faith. but for some reason the stake is very high now, our kids are aged 17,14 9 and 7. Both my husbad and I have a very secure public servant jobs. He works in the Federal Dept of Education Science and Training, he's also a trained teacher, I worked for the Dept of Housing and Community Services as a Housing Manager and I have worked in Dept of Justice and Community Safety as Probation Officer, Community Service Order supervising officer, Drug and Alcohol Case manager and Custodial Officer.

Financially, we are very secure here. Our educational and health system are also good compare to other countries. I don't want to feel or look boastful but it is the reality of what i am feeling right now. It will be a huge move. I thought if I open up a little and be honest with I am feeling I will get a variety but good thoughts from people out there or member of this group most especially women. Men are invited to comment as well of course.

Will my qualifications and experience assist me in finding work in the same filed?
If I arrive there with just working visa could I get a job in public sector with that qualification or I have to either be permanent or a citizen?

If any one there have had experience in having their overseas qualification assess in the field of Community Welfare work, Drig and Alcohol work and Correctional Practice ( Community and Custodial), Could you please advice me,how or where to apply, so I can have qualification assess.

thanks

Last edited by murena99; 11-09-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: wrong greeting.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM

I mean thank you for your reply GEMx3 and Kaytidid,

Old 11-09-2007, 06:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Good luck if you decide to relocate. We moved from New Jersey 13 years ago. We left good paying jobs and an okay life for the unknown. It was very scary. My husband had gotten a job offer when we visited for a week on an apartment/job hunt expedition. I didn't have a job though, and it was going to be several months before I would have family (mom, dad, brothers, sisters) joining.

I won't lie. It was a really hard adjustment for me to make. It was a different way of life for me. I felt isolated at first. I didn't have any kids at the time and my husband was putting in a bunch of hours. You will have the church and your kids to help, so you will have to "join in", so to speak, and have the opportunity to make friends faster than I did. I also am a bit of a reserved person and it takes a while for me to feel comfortable someplace.

That being said...I love it here. I am not Mormon. It doesn't bother me that it isn't just a religion here, but a way of life. I am sure it does for others (read the many many posts about that). I grew up military. I am used to knowing many different people from all walks of life. I have lived all over and I don't think I would want to live anyplace but Utah. The people here are very friendly and helpful and the scenery is just to die for.

I understand about it being very scary. Before I moved, many people tried to scare me by saying, what if you don't like it? What if you can't find a job? What if you want to come back? Naysayers...I think they were just jealous because they didn't have the guts to do it themselves. Granted, it is harder to decide to do something like that when you have children. It is their lives too.

I wish I could help you about your questions on transferring your qualifications. I am sure someone here can point you in the right direction for those answers.

By the way, my sister just visited your lovely country for the second time. All she could do was rave how beautiful it is. I was so jealous! She sent me pictures and indeed, it is very beautiful.

Best of luck and everything works out somehow. It is going to be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Most probably. At least it was for us.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 88,776 times
I think you'd love it here. I have a few friends that moved to the states from Perth for a few years and they were sad to go back home when the job ended. (He was here working with Boeing). You may be able to find better teaching pay through one of the private schools here. You could start work there while getting your accredidation for the public schools. Once there if you want a good income and retirement I'd recommend you think about the administrative side of the public system. Best of luck.

Barbara

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 PM

38 posts, read 94,728 times
Have considered Northern Utah? Brigham City, Logan, Smithfield, Providence, are all nice places to live with less urban sprawl than the location you mentioned, plus housing is cheaper. As a teacher with 10 years experience you will make the low 40's. Don't buy a new car or finance anything other than a modest house, and work a few extra hours and it can be done. If you wife can do some home business it would help even more. Utah is a great place to live, I hope you enjoy it here mate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah