U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 AM

2,351 posts, read 4,933,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Now if they would just tow people into jail that don't have car insurance but are STILL operating a motor vehicle, THEN we'd have it made To add to that make ALL drivers take a stringent drivers exam in order to renew their licenses. That would probably take about 60% at least, of the drivers off the road. Add to that a $500 fine and impounding of a car from a driver that texts while driving. Now your talkin!
Wouldn't that be great? My son's orthodontist was hit by an unlicensed and uninsured driver. The guy came around a curve on a country road too fast and smashed into him. He lived but the injuries basically prevented him from going back to his practice. The guy that hit him just skipped town. He should have immediately been put in jail. It's also amazing how the uninsured and unlicensed guys also seem to drive worst and with a blow headlight or whatever. Just asking to be pulled over and deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM

2,219 posts, read 4,841,655 times
Just like illegals they just seem to get off scott free all the time. It just makes me shake my head in disgust over the way the laws aren't enforced in this country. Very sad indeed.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
I walked over to move my car to a shady spot and it was gone. I called police and they said it was impounded at a local tow company at 8pm two nights ago (Wednesday) but couldn't tell me anything more and couldn't do anything about it except to say to talk to my apartment manager.

I left a message with them. I looked up the towing company online and found every review said they had trolled and stolen people's cars and charged them hundreds of dollars to get them out. Sounds like a scam to me!

I looked up that private business owners can call on cars with expired plates and have them towed, but also that I am supposed to get a warning call from the manager or a sticker on the car, neither of which happened. I also was not notified by either party that it was towed or impounded, even though the car is registered with them as they require that upon moving in.

It was sitting out there in various parking spots in plain view for over a month, and suddenly 10 days into July it's gone. This is theft as far as I'm concerned. I should have gotten a sticker or a warning or a notification at the very least. I should not have to pay storage fees as nobody told me they took it and I just randomly found out because I wanted to move it. If they had called me on it I would have just parked it at my mom's garage. I was selling it to a friend Monday and I had just washed it a few days earlier.

I looked in my lease; nowhere does it say anything about towing a car or expired plates. The only mention is that they may prohibit an "inoperable" vehicle on the premises... well, it's operable! They never said anything in my agreement meeting about expired vehicles.

Were they in the wrong for not notifying me? How is anyone fairly charged for storage fees if they're not notified the car is towed? The apartment manager should have at the very least known that it was towed (since they work with the towing company) and that it was registered with them. This isn't right or fair that I was not contacted prior or after the towing.
OK! this is going to make a lot of people upset but The fact is that you can get the car back without paying any of the Tow company's fees .,... You as the owner of the vehicle can make a demand of the Tow company to return your ( Stolen) property , or face legal action .

Give them 48 hours to return the car, when they don't do it you have qualified by law to file a small claims action against the Tow company for towing the vehicle and for demanding fees from you with out having a "CONTRACT FOR SERVICES " with you.
This action is illegal without a contract with you . You can also do the same with the management company for failure to properly notify you the vehicle was not allowed . They could and should have using the plate # found out the car belonged to you. While they may have their own rules in regards to this, they way they did it or do it is a violation of your rights to due process resulting in your possibly prevailing in a Grand theft auto legal suit.
They both had no enforceable contract for the services & fees that resulted from the Tow company's action as has been proven in many court decisions.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Wouldn't that be great? My son's orthodontist was hit by an unlicensed and uninsured driver. The guy came around a curve on a country road too fast and smashed into him. He lived but the injuries basically prevented him from going back to his practice. The guy that hit him just skipped town. He should have immediately been put in jail. It's also amazing how the uninsured and unlicensed guys also seem to drive worst and with a blow headlight or whatever. Just asking to be pulled over and deported.
???????????????? What has this to do with the towing from "Private Property" of a vehicle that had not been driven on the public roads for over thirty days ????. As to obey and follow the law !! That's just what my response states the Management company and The Towing Company's actions in this matter were Illegal and a Constitutional Due process violation against the car owner.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 03-11-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM

601 posts, read 1,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
OK! this is going to make a lot of people upset but The fact is that you can get the car back without paying any of the Tow company's fees .,... You as the owner of the vehicle can make a demand of the Tow company to return your ( Stolen) property , or face legal action .

Give them 48 hours to return the car, when they don't do it you have qualified by law to file a small claims action against the Tow company for towing the vehicle and for demanding fees from you with out having a "CONTRACT FOR SERVICES " with you.
This action is illegal without a contract with you . You can also do the same with the management company for failure to properly notify you the vehicle was not allowed . They could and should have using the plate # found out the car belonged to you. While they may have their own rules in regards to this, they way they did it or do it is a violation of your rights to due process resulting in your possibly prevailing in a Grand theft auto legal suit.
They both had no enforceable contract for the services & fees that resulted from the Tow company's action as has been proven in many court decisions.
Small claims cost you a 200$ fee to begin with. And then you have to wait for it to process and you may be without a car for weeks if not months.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
Small claims cost you a 200$ fee to begin with. And then you have to wait for it to process and you may be without a car for weeks if not months.
?????? Just checked and in the state of Utah the cost is $60.00 for claims under $2,000.00, $100.00 for $2,000 to $7,500.

The other alternative to filing is to pay their illegal fees or lose the car. as to it taking weeks to months? each state is different, here in California it only takes 4 weeks or less.
OR I guess you could just walk away and say "SCREWED AGAIN". That's what they ( Towing Companies) are hopping for , they make a good profit selling your stolen vehicles. As I stated before you could also file a claim and suit against the Management company for Grand Thief Auto, Violation of Due process.

I did the same against a local city here, they removed 15 vehicles from my grandfathered storage lot , through a court order, but they failed to follow the requirement in that court order and the results were they hired an unlicensed contractor.

Judge said the contractor being unlicensed actually had stolen and recommended that I file charges against them and the city.
End results was they paid for the vehicles plus extra for " MY LOSSES". It did take a while ,but in the end I can say , It was worth it!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM

8,386 posts, read 7,379,700 times
Forget all those telling you that towing the car was illegal. It is not.

The lease says that no one can park any car that is inoperable. Any car without current plates, is inoperable, as it is not able to be driven on public streets.

The owners/managers have a right to have any inoperable vehicle from the property, as the lease says one cannot be on the property. That makes it illegally parked on the property.

You violated your right to park the vehicle on the property, so it was illegal to be parked there. The owners/managers just removed a car illegally parked on the property.

It is your fault the car was towed. Just pay the fees and get over it.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 PM

8,386 posts, read 7,379,700 times
Quote:
The owner of the car, had a contract with the apartment house management. One section of the contract they agreed to, was no inoperable car would be parked on the property. The tenant violated this rule, which in turn gave the management the right to have it removed from the property. They did, and it will cost the owner money.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The owner of the car, had a contract with the apartment house management. One section of the contract they agreed to, was no inoperable car would be parked on the property. The tenant violated this rule, which in turn gave the management the right to have it removed from the property. They did, and it will cost the owner money.
Hate to say it but you are the one that is wrong . It is your assumption that because it had expired plated it was in operable "WRONG " it has been proven in similar cases in a court of law that as long as the engine starts it is operable. additionally and more importantly the Mtg company did not give him proper notice before calling the Tow company, even the cops can not legally have a car Towed without giving 72 hrs. Notice ! That's the law, so as not to violate a persons right to Due process. You are aware of U.S. Title 42, 1983 actions ? I am . Ever hear of Grand Thief Auto ? Violate someone's right to due process and you find your self charged with that by order of the court. While it may sound good that the Mtg. company had the right to have it towed they posted their property and it' s in the contract , it's not that simple, they still have rules to follow ,and in this case it appears they didn't follow them.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:50 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,723,161 times
Default Utah Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
I walked over to move my car to a shady spot and it was gone. I called police and they said it was impounded at a local tow company at 8pm two nights ago (Wednesday) but couldn't tell me anything more and couldn't do anything about it except to say to talk to my apartment manager.

I left a message with them. I looked up the towing company online and found every review said they had trolled and stolen people's cars and charged them hundreds of dollars to get them out. Sounds like a scam to me!

I looked up that private business owners can call on cars with expired plates and have them towed, but also that I am supposed to get a warning call from the manager or a sticker on the car, neither of which happened. I also was not notified by either party that it was towed or impounded, even though the car is registered with them as they require that upon moving in.

It was sitting out there in various parking spots in plain view for over a month, and suddenly 10 days into July it's gone. This is theft as far as I'm concerned. I should have gotten a sticker or a warning or a notification at the very least. I should not have to pay storage fees as nobody told me they took it and I just randomly found out because I wanted to move it. If they had called me on it I would have just parked it at my mom's garage. I was selling it to a friend Monday and I had just washed it a few days earlier.

I looked in my lease; nowhere does it say anything about towing a car or expired plates. The only mention is that they may prohibit an "inoperable" vehicle on the premises... well, it's operable! They never said anything in my agreement meeting about expired vehicles.

Were they in the wrong for not notifying me? How is anyone fairly charged for storage fees if they're not notified the car is towed? The apartment manager should have at the very least known that it was towed (since they work with the towing company) and that it was registered with them. This isn't right or fair that I was not contacted prior or after the towing.
dhinged,

Because it is UT Law it doesn't matter if it was a complex vs. other residence. I agree a house with 3-4 garage doors may be able to better conceal certain vehicles than an apartment complex. Nonetheless, if you have a UT Driver's License you had access to read about those laws if you read the DMV rules.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or