U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM

849 posts, read 1,196,107 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of the amount of therapeutic boarding schools, wilderness programs, and residential treatment centers are present in the state of Utah? It seems to be quite the profitable industry but I certainly question the morality of the system, given the fact that kids are sent there by force the majority of the time.

Wilderness Therapy | Outdoor Therapy | Aspiro Adventure

Welcome to Discovery Academy Boarding School | Discovery Academy

At Telos we help teenage boys dealing with depression, anxiety, substance abuse, addiction, social problems, and learning differences. Our caring staff use proven clinical therapies coupled with the power of healing relationships to promote deep, las

Mitt Romney is also known to have a part in this cash cow.

MITT ROMNEY

Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,728,631 times
Yes, I am aware of Utah's juvenile treatment system (both public and private).

Do you have a question or were you simply taking a stance?

Bill (LCSW)

Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Yes, I am aware of Utah's juvenile treatment system (both public and private).

Do you have a question or were you simply taking a stance?

Bill (LCSW)
I am wondering what the general consensus is among residents on the morality of this industry and whether or not (or to what to degree) it should function.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,728,631 times
I think our population generally knows that the vast majority of our juvenile treatment facilities/programs are what could be termed traditional. Though the more exotic programs garner some press attention, they don't represent the whole system.

I've seen a trend during the last ten years away from the extreme wilderness and boot camp type programs. That's the "tough love" stuff that's resulted in some deaths and shocked the conscience of the public. Frankly, I don't think it's the notoriety that's resulted in the cutbacks. It's been more of a business decision wherein it's just too much of a liability to expose the viability of the program(s) to that much risk.

All of Utah's residential juvenile treatment programs are licensed and monitored. The problems encountered over the years in a hand full of these programs have resulted in significantly stricter program requirements. It remains to be seen if the government's efforts in this area are effective. I'm betting they will be.

Bill

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM

26 posts, read 65,033 times
There are a GREAT number of those programs here in UT. Some residential, some wilderness, some short term care, etc. I worked at one for over 8 years. Very physically, mentally, and emotionally draining.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-A-Tonic View Post
There are a GREAT number of those programs here in UT. Some residential, some wilderness, some short term care, etc. I worked at one for over 8 years. Very physically, mentally, and emotionally draining.
Some I believe are not being watched carefully enough.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Some I believe are not being watched carefully enough.

Do you have background working in one of these programs? Being in one? Just an observation?

Curious to hear your take on them?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Do you have background working in one of these programs? Being in one? Just an observation?

Curious to hear your take on them?
Thanks a lot for your input. Those who are not aware of the industry shouldn't definitely read the bullet points you posted to gain insight about the situation.
To start off, I did in fact attend a wilderness program for a couple months as well as a "therapeutic boarding school" for eight months. My overall time in the troubled teen industry circuit amounted to around eleven months.
Your point about programs investing too much time in effective marketing strategies to increase profit over the well being of its "students" is very valid and does not get the attention it deserves. I don't know if you are aware of aspen education group, but essentially they are a monopoly of sorts that own a fair amount of these troubled teen programs and have actually been acquired by Bain capital, an investment company that Mitt Rommey owns a share of.

Dark side of a Bain success - Salon.com

Moderator cut: off topic

Some good can come out of these programs and I must admit I am probably a better man for getting through mine. However, the politics behind these organizations is downright seedy in some respects and some affirmative action needs to be taken.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-26-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Thanks a lot for your input. Those who are not aware of the industry shouldn't definitely read the bullet points you posted to gain insight about the situation.
To start off, I did in fact attend a wilderness program for a couple months as well as a "therapeutic boarding school" for eight months. My overall time in the troubled teen industry circuit amounted to around eleven months.
Moderator cut: off topic.
Do you know if Aspen Educational is the therapeutic group that Dr. Phil is often referring people to?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-26-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Do you know if Aspen Educational is the therapeutic group that Dr. Phil is often referring people to?
I don't follow dr Phil so I couldn't answer this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah