Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 PM

79 posts, read 272,897 times

Advertisements

I noticed some white pluses and minus signs on our trees out here. Our landlord said that they are thinking of cutting them down, but didn't say why. These are big beautiful trees that have been here for years and provide a lot of shade not only for the walkways and playfields but the guest parking as well. They're one of the reasons I moved here.

I'm afraid if they cut them down that our energy bills will go up and that there will be higher water levels during drainage when it rains or snow melts. Also it will just de-beautify the place. They've already let a problem with the grass go on for years because they said they couldn't afford to fix it (the trees got some kind of infection from cottonwood beetles or something and the grass just died all over). I thought they were finally fixing it but based on the fact that they just covered the dead grass with fist-sized rocks and are now letting a drain fill up excessively because they might not want to pay the company that unclogs the drain I'm wondering if they are going to cut down our trees now to save a few bucks instead of trying to fix the problem.

I'm really concerned about this. What can I do besides be cynical and complain? What are the other downsides to losing our trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,678,625 times
Quote:
the trees got some kind of infection from cottonwood beetles or something and the grass just died all over
If the trees are damaged by beetles etc., then there is a strong possibility they want to take the trees out before they endanger the tenants. With two different markings on the trees, the landlord has probably had them inspected and is planning on taking out the ones that are dead or dieing and not something that can be saved.

Remember it takes time and money to take out trees, so if they are healthy then it would be way cheaper to keep them. So cutting them is not a money saving move if they are healthy.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM

25,265 posts, read 18,412,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
I noticed some white pluses and minus signs on our trees out here. Our landlord said that they are thinking of cutting them down, but didn't say why. These are big beautiful trees that have been here for years and provide a lot of shade not only for the walkways and playfields but the guest parking as well. They're one of the reasons I moved here.

I'm afraid if they cut them down that our energy bills will go up and that there will be higher water levels during drainage when it rains or snow melts. Also it will just de-beautify the place. They've already let a problem with the grass go on for years because they said they couldn't afford to fix it (the trees got some kind of infection from cottonwood beetles or something and the grass just died all over). I thought they were finally fixing it but based on the fact that they just covered the dead grass with fist-sized rocks and are now letting a drain fill up excessively because they might not want to pay the company that unclogs the drain I'm wondering if they are going to cut down our trees now to save a few bucks instead of trying to fix the problem.

I'm really concerned about this. What can I do besides be cynical and complain? What are the other downsides to losing our trees?
I don't know how long you've lived around here, but I think you'll notice one sort of strange tendency that I've never been able to figure out over the years I've been in the area--especially considering we are right on the edge of a barren desert. Many people here just do not like trees for some reason. And they have a bad habit of cutting them down because they seem to just feel it's the right thing to do for some reason. It's like sleeping at night or sitting down to eat a meal. Oh... yeah, I nearly forgot to cut down the 120 year old cottonwood in the yard. Guess I'd better get at that.

What will happen during the summer (assuming they provide shade to your home) is that the average temperature will rise by as much as 10 degrees or more. That's wasted money and power on extra cooling. You'll also get more sun damage to your home, of various sorts. During the winter, there will not be as much of a wind break. Again, meaning higher costs for heat, and more aging effects on the home's exterior. Your watering requirements for the yard will go way up due to the increased evaporation and higher temperatures on the lawn. Again more waste--money and water. If you park your car under the trees, plan on the car becoming a solar oven, prematurely aging the interior and you, when you have to get into it. On the aesthetic side of things, your home will not look as "cozy" or "inviting." It will look more like that wonderful desert we live in and so many tree-haters wish to emulate. So rather than planting some trees and shrubbery like he should be doing, he's clear-cutting a precious resource around an area where such a resource should be cherished. That's the way it is around here for some reason.

You should ask the landlord if he plans on dumping a load of sand, planting a couple of cacti, and placing a cow skull or two in the yard to complete the motif.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,591,515 times
There was/is a serious infestation of (I think it's called) Japanese beetles in the Provo area. There was news about this and how so many trees were going to be lost. That might be part of it.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,364,293 times
They are pretty destructive, sad about the trees.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM

317 posts, read 647,619 times
If it is beetle infestation and has to be done, you could ask the landlord to consider planting replacement trees of a type that grows quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: