Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,951 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Box Elder County for a job and, while excited, I am also very worried since we are not Mormon. 1) My husband will need to find a job, will he have trouble? (2) We have a young daughter in elementary school - what is she going to experience? How can I help prepare her? Will she be not have friends? (I've had Mormon friends as a child and adult, but that was outside of Utah). (3) If we move to someplace like Honeyville (there's a property we're interested in there), will we be total outcasts? My job is in Tremonton, so we can't be too far from there. What can we do to try to be "good" neighbors, to fit in as much as possible without converting? How do we not become a "project"? I would love to hear from everyone. I've never even moved to another state, so this is obviously very stressful!

Last edited by caitybird; 09-29-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
Hello,
I can give you my 2 cents about Box Elder County, it is a very small town and very nosy I dont think that your children will have a hard time with school, although this place is very judge mental everyone is up in everyone's business I was born and raised in this town and personally I couldn't wait to get out. And the job looking is very poor no place to work unless you travel at least 30 minutes away and that might even be hard finding a job. But if your looking for a place in Honey ville, that is a way better place then inside tremonton city, honey ville is on the out skirts of tremonton not many neighbors which is good dont want people all up in your business cause they will try to be, I live over in Logan which is about 20 minutes east of tremonton which is a much better area more people but less they care about what and who you are the Mormons are very hypercritical people which i find very annoying but all in all I guess tremonton is what you make of it maybe just moving there is better than living there your entire life Good Luck hope all goes well

Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
You picked about the only place outside of the Metro areas I happen to be somewhat familiar with. I don't think you will have anywhere near the issues up there you would have if you were closer to the Salt Lake Valley or Utah County. Tremonton, while they do have a substantial LDS community, is not as clanish up that way. For the most part it is what I refer to as a "Cow Town". Very much rural minded with a cowboy mentality. If you love farms, pickup trucks, small town attitudes and are a friendly person I don't see you having any issues at all. Honeyville of course is quite rural. It is lovely, and of course close to the well renowned Crystal Hot Springs resort. Lot's of horse country up that way to say the least. Easy to get fresh veggies and fruit when in season. I would see that as being a good fit. FWIW the Bowling Alley there has a amazing Barbecue menu. They smoke their own meats daily

Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful143 View Post
But if your looking for a place in Honey ville, that is a way better place then inside tremonton city, honey ville is on the out skirts of tremonton not many neighbors which is good dont want people all up in your business cause they will try to be, I live over in Logan which is about 20 minutes east of tremonton which is a much better area more people but less they care about what and who you are the Mormons are very hypercritical people which i find very annoying but all in all I guess tremonton is what you make of it maybe just moving there is better than living there your entire life Good Luck hope all goes well
Wow. That was some sentence (or so).

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-07-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 12:22 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default Close to Interstates

First, congrats on your job! Your husband's difficulty with a job will partially be based on what he can do.

Traditionally, Tremonton is a place people drive through on their way to and from ID.

Are you familiar with the area at all? Do you have a response time you have to meet?

I'd probably thinking more about Brigham City or even ID with lower taxes. Tremonton has great interstate access.

There are a mixture of religions in that area. I think your little one will be fine if you are happy.

MSR

Old 10-09-2014, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,445 times
Hi caitybird,

I grew up in Brigham City before moving just a little south to Perry. It is true that the Mormons are definitely the majority here, but I think you'll find plenty of people you can relate to, outside of their faith, but inside of it as well. There definitely are some judgmental Mormons, but for the most part they try to be kind to everyone, regardless of their belief systems. About not becoming a "project" just be upfront with them that you are not interested in their religion but would still like to be their friends. Hopefully they can respect that, and if not I'd say move on and find someone who can respect that because there will definitely be those out there who will be able to. There will be plenty of non-mormons around to befriend as well.

Honeyville is a quaint little community. It's a little off the beaten path, and I'd say it's country livin for sure, but it's a nice community to live in. If you don't mind being a little ways from any stores, but would rather live in a quiet town it could be a good option.

Tremonton is larger than Honeyville (we used to do midnight runs to their Denny's all the time! It was kind of a big deal.) But I'd still count it as country livin.

Brigham City is about a 15 minute drive from Tremonton and is larger. There are much more stores and restaurants in Brigham, and although not a big city by any means, it's moreso than Honeyville or Tremonton. And the nice thing is Ogden is only 30 min. south and Logan is 30 min. up the canyon. Good central location to bigger towns/cities.

I wouldn't worry about your kids in elementary school either.

Hopefully this was helpful. Good luck to you with your move, and good luck to your husband finding a job!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:52 AM

163 posts, read 318,346 times
Not sure where you're coming from , but if you're a country girl, you might love it. I'd suggest renting something close to work for a while until you get the lay of the land and hubby finds a job. If it's not for you, be open to the idea of a short commute. Consider going as far east as Logan, and as far south as Pleasant View.

Tremonton has stayed close to its rural roots, basically a farming community with some shopping but not much industry. I once knew a lot of Tremonton folks who commuted to the Thiokol plant, but can't think of any who were not LDS. The ATK layoffs of recent years have taken a definite toll on the community. When the Malt-o-Meal plant moved in and decided to stay, it was a big deal. Besides the LDS presence, I only know of Baptist and Catholic churches there.

Honeyville is a much smaller rural community - not even sure if they have a grocery store there, but some nicer homes and acreages. There is an LDS chapel and a Buddhist temple, established by Japanese-Americans who settled there after being interned in Utah during WWII.

Brigham City is a bigger town with a bit more religious diversity, as well as good schools, adequate shopping, nice parks, and community programs. I lived there for about 10 years and my kids went to elementary school there. Brigham City has a broader variety of churches - most of the major Protestant denominations have local congregations, in addition to Catholic and LDS.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah