U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 33,095 times
Default Parking lot rain drain clogged, causing belts to squeel

At our apartment complex, there is a rain drain down one of the driveways in the parking lot that has been clogged for the years I've been here. I tried avoiding it but when my belts started squeeling after driving through it (it can be 6-12 inches a good amount of time depending on rain and snow melt), and I've had an unusual amount of belt wear and replacements over three cars.

This costs hundreds of dollars and while I've reported the problem several times they have only said they're not sure if they want to pay the company who maintains it to de-clog it. Because of the consistency of the problem I know it has something to do with it but I'm not sure what to do about it. They have consistently put off or avoiding fixing parts of the property even when they look bad or cause problems.

What can I do? Are they liable for damages if they neglect something that causes a problem? Is there some place I can email or call to get information on what to do about it, such as a government entity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM

592 posts, read 688,288 times
It's not the water that damages your belt. Especially if you go slow the held should not get too wet.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 AM

2,854 posts, read 1,680,690 times
If you go slow, water should never reach your belt unless it gets quite deep. When the belt squeaks when wet, it is usually because they are loose and slip when wet, and need tightened up. It is very possible it is not your belt that squeaks, but your brakes when wet.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM

4,329 posts, read 3,295,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
At our apartment complex, there is a rain drain down one of the driveways in the parking lot that has been clogged for the years I've been here. I tried avoiding it but when my belts started squeeling after driving through it (it can be 6-12 inches a good amount of time depending on rain and snow melt), and I've had an unusual amount of belt wear and replacements over three cars.

This costs hundreds of dollars and while I've reported the problem several times they have only said they're not sure if they want to pay the company who maintains it to de-clog it. Because of the consistency of the problem I know it has something to do with it but I'm not sure what to do about it. They have consistently put off or avoiding fixing parts of the property even when they look bad or cause problems.

What can I do? Are they liable for damages if they neglect something that causes a problem? Is there some place I can email or call to get information on what to do about it, such as a government entity?
If this is a big problem than the obvious thing is to find a new apartment.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:54 AM

117 posts, read 92,466 times
Like mentioned for belts to make noise like that there loose. The water would have to be quite deep like 18"-24" or you driving fastest enough to splash water into the belts on most cars

Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM

40 posts, read 33,095 times
I bought the car in July, the belts never squeeled until I drove through the puddle, and the only two times it did was right after I drove through the puddle. The previous cars were similar, I had three belts replaced, and twice the mechanics wondered why there was so much wear on it. There's no explanation for this kind of belt wear across three different cars, unless this storm drain puddle is the problem or Honda Civics between the period of 1993 to 2001 just have terrible belt setups.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:38 PM

2,854 posts, read 1,680,690 times
Have you changed the belts to stop the problems. When belts get old they get hard and the surface does not grip the wheel any longer, and slip. Add a few drops of water like going through the puddle and twill slip and makes a squeal. Better to change belts, as the next step for you is to have a belt break which old worn out belts do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah