U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 PM

18 posts, read 27,443 times

Advertisements

I'd like a bit more information about the climate and people living in small town Beaver and Iron Counties (which really includes all the towns, I know).

I grew up in Salt Lake and moved to Pennsylvania in my 30's. There, I remarried and combined two families (my adult daughter lives in SLC, his two adult kids live in PA). We have a 10 year old together and have lived in Fairbanks Alaska for several years. I'm very fortunate in that I can be vested for medical insurance in the summer of 2015 so we're sticking it out until then. We love it in Fairbanks (even the crazy cold!). The people here are the friendliest we have ever encountered and I love the diversity of the townspeople. However, it is very expensive to live here and it costs a minor fortune to fly anywhere even with terrific airline mileage plans. We've been struggling with the decision to move Outside (anyplace outside of AK) for quite some time due to elderly parent issues, and to be closer to extended family in UT, PA, and NJ. For a variety of reasons, we are choosing not to live back east and prefer to live in the west.

We'll be semi-retired when we move, but hubby will need to be employed full-time with benefits (at least until I turn 60 which is a ways off), while I pursue part-time employment that may involve trips into Las Vegas and LA. I understand the difficulties for him finding FT employment with benefits, so am aware how tricky this may be.

We've narrowed our search to Milford, Minersville, and Enterprise (Washington County I know) mainly due to the housing costs and climate. We want to be able to buy a house outright for cash for less than $75,000. I know that sounds insane, but we currently live in a 240 sf dry cabin with no running water or septic for $55,000, so really anyplace with running water would be an improvement Oh, did I mention we have 3 indoor dogs and 2 cats as well, so renting is out of the question.

There are likely low-price housing candidates in those three towns. Of course even the houses are older but some look like they are in fairly decent shape. We might still consider Parowan, Paragonah, Beaver, Cedar City, Kanarraville, New Harmony and so on if we decide to get a mortgage, but the housing prices seem to be higher in those towns. We'd prefer to be in a small town rather than some place like Beryl even though there is a grade school there. We love Cedar City, but prefer to be on the outskirts.

We know those towns are tiny, but Milford, Minersville, and Enterprise have an elementary school and are in close proximity to a high school or have one in town, so the bus ride wouldn't be that long. We can shop in Cedar for supplies or drive into St. George or SLC or LV as needed. We have very simple needs. However, we can't stand the long summer heat of the St. George area and LV and LA are way too expensive (and hot). We want to be able to visit family in SLC about once a month or every other month or so and want to be within a 4 hour drive. We also want to be within a 4 hour drive to LV and an 8 - 10 hour drive to LA for trips in a few times a year.

How snowy is Milford, Minersville, Enterprise compared to Cedar City? I've checked the weather guides but wanted to hear from the locals. I know it got cold at night in December (to -30), but when I checked the temp guide the lowest high temp was 0 or above so that's warm to us! Keep in mind kids in Fairbanks play outside for recess until the temp drops below -20, so our view of cold weather has changed since we moved up here I'm not too worried about the heat in summer since it's a dry heat for a few months only and not for 6 months of the year. Besides, it's the humidity I can't take for hot or cold temps.

How cliquish are these small towns and how is the drug problems there? When we moved to PA, we moved to a small town just like Mayberry, but the families went back 300 years so it was hard for my daughter to ever fit in, even though we lived there for 10 years. The adults were fine, but the kids were cliquy. We're LDS, and I'd normally prefer to live in a town where LDS (or any one group for that matter) are not the majority,but I know some Utah towns are friendlier and less fundamentalist than others.

I know some small towns also have more of a drug problem than others, so I wanted to get opinions on that too. Scuttlebutt indicates there is a meth problem in Beaver. I don't know how accurate that is, but would like to hear people's pros and cons. We'll be in Utah again this summer and we have a realtor who will show us the houses in our price range in those towns so we can get a better idea of how realistic it will be to attempt this in 2015.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 PM

18 posts, read 27,443 times
Update. Wound up moving to Helper, Utah in Carbon County August, 2015. 11-year old daughter who was verrrry unhappy about leaving Alaska found friends the first day of school and loves it here. Moved here because it "felt right" was closer to family in SLC and housing was very inexpensive. Ex. We bought a 2 bed 1 bath 900 sq house for $55,000. Prices have gone up since then, so we really lucked out Hubby got a job within 4 weeks of moving to the area at the local college. I was able to stay home for 2 glorious years then got a full-time job at the college last year.

Love the area. 1 hour drive to Utah Co., 2 hours to SLC. No inversions. Clean air. Subtle beauty. Love it here. Helper is turning into quite the artist town and has progressive government trying to enhance the positives of the town (applied to be a night sky town; cleaned up and expanded the river walk, etc.). Daughter's in high school now and is having a great time.

Only downside is driving through dicey canyon to get to Wasatch Front, and distance from I-15.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
So glad you're happy! So often we hear the opposite.p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah