Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 AM

50 posts, read 595,434 times

Advertisements

I see via City-Data.com that Provo has a really low crime rate, has really low humidity, especially in the summer when it counts and thus comfortable summers, that starting housing prices are around $100,000 and that the place obviously has a large Mormn population. Am I correct so far?
I am wondering realistically how bad the winters get, typical snow fall and more importantly typical low temperature? Are there any social places like bars or clubs in the general or surrounding areas? Any cool things to do
Are there any areas that should be avoided for any reason?
Lastly, how are taxes (property tax, sales tax, etc)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 02:57 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
Realistically, the winters aren't that bad. It gets cold and snowy, but not Minnesota snowy, not Maine cold. The summers get hot (90s a lot, and sometimes in the 100s) and yes, it's very dry. When you go into the shade, you actually feel the temperature drop and it's comfortable, unlike humid areas of the country. But you need lots of lotion in the winter!

It's VERY Mormon. The Missionary Training Center is there, Brigham Young University is there, Utah Valley State College is there (not church-owned but the bulk of the student body is LDS), and it's an extremely conservative city. I lived there for four years and I really liked it. But then, I'm LDS and i was attending BYU, so that makes a big difference.

The night life is there, but it's mostly centered around the college students, and it's pretty G-rated. There are some bars, but they're not where most of the socializing takes place. Still, you can find whatever crowd you want, they just might not be prevalent in the social scene.

I don't know what you can find for $100K in the area...a condo maybe? On the east side, especially near BYU, housing is scarce and expensive. On the west side, out by the lake, it's much more plentiful and less expensive. It's also less prestigious and traditionally in ugly industrial areas, but that's changing. There have been some nice middle-class neighborhoods going in down there. There is also a lot of housing going in along the southeast side, but that's almost all the way to Springville. There are some areas right in the middle of Provo that I would avoid. It is, overall, an extremely safe town, but there are some neighborhoods that seem to be run down and not so nice. I would bet a good real estate agent could tell you exactly where those are. The Riverbottoms, on the north end next to Orem, is a prestigious, and expensive, area, as is the northeast bench. Grandview is an old, but still good, neighborhood that used to be more high-end, but is now actually affordable.

Speaking of Orem, if you can't find what you want in Provo, you could check Orem. They're right next to each other and share a meandering border that makes it hard to tell which city you're in half the time. Not much difference geographically, although I think Provo is prettier (more residential up in the foothills) and Orem has tons more commerce (so nicer tax base). I lived in Orem for about 8 years and liked it very much.

Sales tax is 6.25%, and property taxes vary by city. I don't know what Provo's is. What's bringing to you Provo? That might make a difference where you look, too.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:39 PM

Great information Chaz, thanks!
I'm in Chicago now, been here my entire life and want to get away from the extreme cold winters and the extreme humidity in the summer. Need tons of lotion here too in the winter. I want away from wind chills and the sub zero temps more than the snow though the snow gets to me sometimes too.
Provo looked really attractive, found some inexpensive homes there, I like the low crime rate and the political climate is perfect for me as well. I took a glance at Orem before and that seems good. I am not LDS but I am a Christian so I'm sure I wouldn't have any problem getting along with the general population.
I was thinking about moving to an area in Arizona but I'm hearing much about a big meth problem and I want no part of that or any drug for that matter.
I'm not so concerned about a big nightlife as those days are well behind me but it is nice to have a place available to grab a beer, maybe a sandwich and a ball game on the TV or to see a pretty girl or two.
I am in my early 30's and suffering from a spinal injury due to an accident so my ability to work is limited and therefore, close proximity to employment isn't a big concern.
So, how cold and how snowy would you say it is on average and then how bad would you say is an extreme example (extreme meaning the worst you've seen)?
Thanks again

Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Pretty girls there are aplenty in Provo. Coeds, you know. ;-) Beer you can get at bars and some restaurants. Sandwiches and ballgames...sounds like Applebees to me, lol.

The winter weather is obviously below freezing at night, and often stays there during the day during the coldest months (Dec-Feb). It will get into the teens sometimes during the day, but that's considered unusually cold. Most of the time it's more in the 30s or 40s. It's not really a problem unless you're planning to spend long stretches of time outside. As long as you have a heater and warm winter wear, you're good to go. The snow can be heavy in the mountains, which makes for many happy skiers, but in the valleys it tends to melt off fairly quickly, at least from the roads. But not always. Sometimes there's a cold snap and the snow sticks around. Sometimes the roads ice over, but the state is good about plowing, sanding, and salting them.

The worst I've seen? The record low was set when I was in college, around 30 below 0. A few years after that I remember seeing more snow fall than I'd seen the entire time I lived there, so much that we couldn't get out of our driveway, and just when we'd finally get dug out, more would fall. But those were extreme. Most years are very mild compared to that.

If you need to accommodate your back, you might look at southern Utah, where it's warmer all year round. And there are some nice areas in Arizona that I'm sure aren't plagued by meth. I personally couldn't handle the summer heat in either of those places, but sometimes it's good for bad backs, depending on the nature of your injury.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:00 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,405 times
Ok I'm LDS and Provo makes me feel weird.....very weird and I'm not alone! SLC is much more diverse and I feel has more to offer your family and personal well-being.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
I like Provo a lot. I lived there for four years when I went to BYU. I had a great time, but it was all G rated. The whole area is very LDS.

You should understand the culture a bit. The pretty girls that chazcrew is talking about are LDS and often interested in dating returned LDS missionaries. That is just the way the culture works. So though the harvest may look bounteous, the actual yield would be much lower for someone who is not LDS. You could probably find lots of girls that would hang out with you on a social basis though.

The winters are not that bad here. You'll have a few snowstorms of up to a foot. Usually the snow melts off in the valleys after a few days. If the sun is out, it doesn't feel that cold, unlike back east. Like Elder Shawn said, Salt Lake valley is great too and more diverse. Not as conservative downtown, but everywhere else it is.

Last edited by coolcats; 11-02-2006 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 PM

True, coolcats, not to mention the college girls are quite young. Not so many 30-something career girls.

Elder Shawn, Provo makes you feel weird? I guess you're just not righteous enough to live there. *snicker snicker*

(It's a joke, people! Just in case someone starts in on holier-than-thou mormons again, lol)

Old 11-03-2006, 02:20 AM

So it sounds like I should stick with the valley area as the temps are a little warmer in the winter and the snow doesn't last as long. I could very much tolerate 30's and 40's in January and February but that minus 30 year you mentioned Chaz would've driven me out. If I come to Provo, I hope to never see that. Here in Chicago it's 10's and 20's if you're fortunate...it's 25 right now in fact. And then the wind makes it really miserable. I like the heat but not here, that's why I was thinking Arizona like Bullhead City and Lake Havasu City but I've heard of some nasty insects there that I can't tolerate. Snakes, lizards, coyotes, werewolves (not really of course, just trying to keep your attention on this long winded post) and even scorpions I can tolerate but NOT mega roaches and giant water bugs of which I've heard there are plenty. Any revolting insects in Provo? Big mosquito problem or flies? Chicago swarms with mosquitos in the humid summer and therefore West Nile Virus is an issue.
At least the winter time kills most of the pests and doesn't allow them to grow to monsters, besides, I've finally gotten to the point where I enjoy a little cold.
After living a life that would very likely be considered a multiple "X" rating, I've turned my life around over the last few years. The Provo "G" rating is absolutely perfect for me. You're not missing anything by living in a "G" rated world. It's less stress, pain and misery, let me tell you. And to be surrounded by people who are essentially interested in being good sounds even better. I shed many, many "friends" over the last few years and for good reason.
As far as the girls are concerned, I'd rather have good friendships with nice girls as opposed to horrible relationships with bad girls...and I've had my share.
Well, I appreciate all the feedback and welcome any additional information (especially about the bugs. And please feel free to reassure me that the winters are mild and the summers are always dry...please...PLEASE). I'm gettin' outta Chicago sometime within the next year and the Provo area is so far the most appealing. It's nice to hear the only objections that some of you have are the exact things I'm seeking.
Thanks

Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 AM

212 posts, read 791,253 times
Utah, too, has mosquitos and west nile. You could choose to live indoors and never go out, or buy a can of mosquito repellant. Problem solved Utah does not have the sewer cockroach problem that Az has (the kind that can grow 2-3 inches and fly ) The climate is great for bugs, no real freeze to kill them off. They are breading all year long. I don't miss them one bit.

Lake Havasu has temperatures over 100, often 115+ in the summer (which can last from May to Oct.)

I know I'm biased, but I would take Utah over Arizona any day, (lived both places). I like having 4 seasons

I lived in Provo for a while. I think you sound like you have an open mind, and you would do ok in Utah county, (as long as you understand the culture will be different from what it sounds like you are coming from). Yes, the majority of residents are LDS, but there are plenty, too, that are not. My Uncle, for instance, was brought up in the LDS faith, but as an adult choose not to be a part of the church. He likes to drink and go to the bar, and has found a society he fits into as well, and is very happy. He wouldn't live anywhere than Utah.

I'm sorry I can't compare the winters of Utah to Chicago, but here is my take on it. It does get cold in the winter and it does snow, but for the most past it just doesn't stick around long. Night time temps can get into the teens and the highs during the winter in the 30's. Right now at 11:45 am the temp in SLC is 51 degrees. On Halloween the temp while trickor treating @ 6:30 was 35 degrees. To me that is pretty cold.

I hope this helps.
LORI

Last edited by Yac; 11-04-2006 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-03-2006, 03:19 PM

The only big nasty bugs we have at our house are wolf spiders. shiver We spray for them and then it's all good.

Good for you for turning your life around. You sound like you're happy with the choices you've made, and that's a very good thing.

And yes, the summers are always dry. Every once in awhile I can feel rain in the air and it feels a little muggy. But I've been in real humidity and yeah, this ain't it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: