Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 AM

85 posts, read 216,717 times

Advertisements

We have lived in the midwest our whole life and have done very minimal travelling west of the Missouri. Wife got a job teaching in the SLC area, so we're headed out there to live next month.

As someone with very little to no knowledge on the state, what are some bigger picture do's and don'ts of Utah?

Also, what are some "EVERYONE knows that!" things? For example, in the midwest, EVERYONE knows how extreme the weather is. Or EVERYONE knows a farmer or rancher. Or EVERYONE is super proud if our little town or state gets on the national news. EVERYONE's been in a tornado and doesn't run for shelter if they see one. EVERYONE'S the nicest people in the country, etc. etc.

What are some good "uniquely Utah" things to read about, do, or get prepared for before the move?

Any and all info is helpful! (especially if you can get me a job... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,950,426 times
Everyone knows a stakehouse is not the same as the steakhouse where you go to dinner. Everyone knows what fry sauce is. Everyone knows if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes or go 5 miles. Everyone knows how to pronounce Hurricane and Tooele, Juab, and Duchesne.

Read and study this SparkLife » You Know You're from Utah When...

Welcome to Utah!!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,646,912 times
Some things you may want to know about Utah, by Geo-Aggie:

Pioneer Day: This is a July 24th state holiday celebrating the 1847 arrival of the Mormon Pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley. Most people have the day off and there's a big parade in downtown Salt Lake and fireworks happen. While not strictly a religious holiday, if it offends you there is a subculture who celebrates "Pie-N-Beer Day" on the same date.

Alcohol: You can't buy alcohol in Utah on Sunday. If you want to celebrate Sunday Funday, buy it on Saturday. Also there's no liquor in the grocery stores and beer is 3.2% abv. If you want high-point beer, wine or liquor you must go to a state liquor store. They're not bad. Kind of cool actually. It just sucks that they are all closed on Sunday and don't stay open late.

Fry Sauce: You'll get asked if you want it at some point. It's just ketchup mixed with mayo. It's pretty good.

Highways: They are called "I-15" (main north-south route to access Ogden, SLC, Provo), "the 215" (Salt Lake belt-route), "I-80" (main east-west route through Park City, SLC & Tooele) and "the 201" (highway access to West Valley). Also of note are Bangerter (north south artery for the west side of the valley), Redwood (west side access from Bountiful down into Utah Valley (where Provo is) and Foothill (the belt-route doesn't have a downtown access and merges into I-80 on the east side. Foothill is the extension of this that is an overcrowded nightmare headed into the University and downtown. Nobody observes the speed limit here. It's actually rather dangerous and annoying. Moderately-heavy traffic at 5 pm in a 65 zone will move at 75. You probably want to stay to the right, unless driving bat-s***-crazy is your thing. Also, turn signals are more of a suggestion or after-thought. Don't expect them and don't expect anyone to let you in if yours is on.

Sports: The Jazz are king. It doesn't matter if we suck, everyone who does sports is a Jazz fan. RSL is our soccer team. They're really good. You should follow them too. College football has 3 teams. Utah is the standard team that most Salt Lakers and non-LDS default to. BYU is the Mormon team. If you're Mormon and not from SLC you probably like BYU. Utah State is the "hipster" team. They were insignificant for years, recently got pretty good, and now everyone who goes against the grain likes the up-start little guy.

Weather: It's a semi-desert. People don't realize this, but it never really rains here. We get more sun than Miami or Los Angeles. It's hot in the summer (100+) and cold in the winter (down to 0F). Most of the snow stays in the mountains, but we get a big storm in the winter once or twice. Snow plows clear it fast. There are no snow days for kids. Due to the lack of rain water, conservation is a big deal. Other than Nevada we're the driest state in the nation. Don't use your lawn sprinklers more often than necessary, please.

Promontory Point: In my opinion this is Utah's most significant historical event. The east met west for the first time on rails in 1869 out west of Ogden.

We're relatively healthy: Not as many overweight people here as you'll find in most states. The outdoor activities culture helps significantly.

Politically RED with an island of blue in SLC/PC: The Republicans have a firm hold on the state. That's not changing any time soon. In places like Provo or rural Utah you'll probably be considered the anti-christ if you have liberal points of view. However in Salt Lake and Park City liberal points of view are not only accepted, but the norm.

Good easy first weekend hike: Ensign Peak. It's behind the capitol building, like 50% paved and easy to do. Takes maybe 30 minutes. You can see the whole valley.

Dont swim in the Great Salt Lake. You can, and there's nothing wrong with it, but it's 7x saltier than the ocean.

The outdoors: If you don't take advantage of the hiking, skiing, boarding, camping, etc. you're not making it worth your while to live here.

Service jobs are everywhere. Seriously, you can get two jobs making $10 and hour tomorrow. Everywhere is hiring for those positions. The problem is if you have a career it can be hard to break into your field. We're fairly well educated and finding those high-paying positions can be hard to do. Unemployment is super low, but underemployment is super high.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:47 AM

762 posts, read 2,110,782 times
Geo-Aggie, as usual, nails all the important things though I do have one qualifier: No native Utahn ever puts "the" in front of any highway name. As Geo said, the two major freeways in the valley are I-15 and I-80 (not "the 15" like Californians would say), but this is also true for I-215. It is "215" or sometimes "I-215"---but NEVER "the" 215. US201, similarly, is sometimes "201" (and not "the 201") but is more often (especially by longtime residents) called "21st South" or "21st South Freeway" (2100 South is its approximate location on the valley's grid system).

The other thing I have to add: Make an effort to understand the valley's grid system. Absolutely nothing will label you a transplant/visitor faster than not being able to get around this incredibly organized city, or not understanding how our "weird" address with two directions work. Once you get understand the grid, it's like an instant, built-in GPS to everywhere without actually having GPS! Katzpur's excellent sticky primer is a great place to start.

Regarding jobs, what industry? Someone here may have advice, depending on what kind of work you're looking for.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,646,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
...As Geo said, the two major freeways in the valley are I-15 and I-80 (not "the 15" like Californians would say), but this is also true for I-215. It is "215" or sometimes "I-215"---but NEVER "the" 215. US201, similarly, is sometimes "201" (and not "the 201") but is more often (especially by longtime residents) called "21st South" or "21st South Freeway" (2100 South is its approximate location on the valley's grid system)...
Eh... I may or may not have grown up in Los Angeles...

Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,141,398 times
1. Don't invite all your neighbors over for a beer until you know they aren't LDS, or that they drink beer anyway. The same is true for a cup of coffee.

2. Don't bad mouth everything you don't like about the state to your friends and neighbors. For example, saying that "In New York, the liquor laws are not so backward" is not a good way impress most of your Utah friends.

3. If you have any, don't make a point of showing your neighbors your tattoos and piercings. They will likely be less impressed than you are.

4. Keep jokes about the large families here to yourself, until you've made friends and you know they won't be offended by such humor.

5. Do ask directions if you don't where something is. People here are happy to help out that way.

6. Do ask which grocery stores offer the best deals. My picks are Smiths for fresh meat and vegetables and Walmart for canned and dried goods.

7. If you smoke, do it discretely. Don't make a show of doing it in everyone's faces.

8. Understand that many of the people you meet maybe quite preoccupied with work, family, and church. Don't take offense if they seem less friendly than you expect.

9. Do ask about hiking trails, campgrounds, and favorite weekend outings.

10. Don't come here expecting a big drinking and party scene. Compared to other places there isn't one.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM

85 posts, read 216,717 times
I'm a loyal Thunder fan, so I'll have plenty of headbutting with all you Jazz fans.

Fry sauce sounds awful, but I'll have to try it.

Both my wife and I don't smoke, drink, swear, have any tattoos or piercings so those will be easy to avoid, but good advice. Around here it would be a huge POSITIVE to tell someone about your tattoo, even if they don't have one.

Thanks for the hikes tips, we'll try those out!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 AM

762 posts, read 2,110,782 times
Good, authentic fry sauce is divine---seriously. It's good on any potato dish and great on burgers, too (if you put ketchup and mayo on your burger anyway, you've pretty much made fry sauce already, though genuine fry sauce has some pickle juice or chunks as well).

Note that some fry sauce is better than others: Try Hires, Arctic Circle, or Crown Burger's before judging if you like it. National chains rarely get it right.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 PM

224 posts, read 637,747 times
Everyone knows that Great Salt Lake is a remnant of ancient Lake Bonneville.

Everyone knows swimming in the Great Salt Lake must be done once, but it not all it is cracked up to be.

Everyone knows who Brigham Young was.

Everyone knows 500 South is 5th south and not 5 hundred south, or 2100 East is 21st east and not 21 hundred or 2 thousand 1 hundred east. Please please please don't say One thousand north even though it is written 1000 north, it is 10th north because is it is the 10th block north of South Temple.

Everyone knows the sun rises over the Wasatch Mts and sets over the Oquirrh/ or GSL.

Everyone knows Alta and Deer Valley are for skiers and not snowboarders.

Everyone knows you get the best raspberries from Bear Lake Valley.

Everyone knows who John Stockton, Karl Malone and Jerry Sloan are.

Everyone should know that Utah is home to the Might Five National Parks. And you should go visit them!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,631,717 times
Everyone knows liquor stores are closed on Sundays (am I repeating somebody here?) and so are the Royal Crown Burger locations. Royal Crown has the best burgers, never mind the pastrami, it's absolutely wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah