U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 PM

22 posts, read 25,559 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, First of all I want to say "thanks" for all the great info I've already read. I've lurked in this forum for a few years but never posted. After living in Anchorage, Alaska for the last three years I will be starting a job at Hill AFB in the next few weeks.

I'm a passionate downhill skier; there is literally nothing I would rather do. Three years ago we got 139" of snow in "Los Anchorage" (a record) but this past winter it was so scarce that I only got to go skiing once. I can not express my elation at the thought of winter in Utah! It may be because winter is months off but PowMow's website seems to be pretty sparse.

I'm looking for advice on the skiing there; I'm an advanced skier but I have a lot to live for so I'm not into the "thrills" of double black diamonds. To me, traveling 50 miles one way is well worth a day of good skiing. My favorite terrain is groomed, L O N G runs. I've skied a lot of places that was only half a mile or so to the top of the lift, and all the way to the eagles nest at Vail - but I'm not rich and I think charging $32 a day for parking is criminal.

BTW, I'm not LDS but my very best friend is and I'm not skeered, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,748,336 times
Have you checked out snowbasin? Based on your description you would prob . Like it. It is just as close as powmow

Old 06-06-2014, 11:48 AM

280 posts, read 708,818 times
Yep, Snowbasin is the #1 place for you. You can even see the AFB from the top of Snowbasin

It has the long groomers that you desire and has state of the art uphill capacity, not to mention a fantastic upscale day lodge and on-mountain restaurants. If you are an advanced groomed run skier, you can try your mettle on the top of the Men's Downhill course from the 2002 Olympics. The view of Ogden/GSL/Hill AFB is amazing and the first 600' of your run will have you clenching.

Snowbasin Resort

If and when you decide to give off-piste skiing a try, you can head across the valley to Powder Mountain, North America's largest ski area. It is not know for long groomers, but had the advantage of allowing the skier to venture into the powder slowly and safely along the groomers to "get your toes wet" so to speak without having to commit to a full powder run.

Powder Mountain is very laid back. It's day lodge is out of the 1950's and the lifts are not it's strong suite. But, the price is right and many who have tried it love it.

Powder Mountain Resort

Both are in the "Ogden Valley" and can be reached in 20-30 minutes from where you will be.

Happy skiing!

Old 06-08-2014, 01:40 AM

31 posts, read 81,638 times
Another plus about Snowbasin is that the season passes are cheap. $650 for a season with no blackout dates and all the benefits (3 free days at Sun Valley, 2 free days at a bunch of other resorts, summer access, etc). They also have even cheaper passes available for around $450 if you're ok with blackout dates (Xmas, MLK weekend, president's weekend).

And of course, parking is free. This isn't Colorado :P

Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 AM

5,320 posts, read 11,003,280 times
Just to satisfy my curiosity, is there something else besides *downhill* skiing ?
I know often you may have to go horizontal via the catwalk or something, most of the time it IS downhill, or ?

Old 06-08-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity, is there something else besides *downhill* skiing ?
I know often you may have to go horizontal via the catwalk or something, most of the time it IS downhill, or ?
Snowboarding, telemarking, cross country skiiing to name a few.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 AM

5,320 posts, read 11,003,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Snowboarding, telemarking, cross country skiiing to name a few.
Both first examples, again are usually downhill ...
I can see *cross country* as another way.

In the end, Utah is THE place, to do all of it !
Whether you live near Hill AFB or way out in Erda, wherever that is ...

Nuff sed !

Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM

2,399 posts, read 5,222,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
There's also backcountry touring, whether telemark or alpine touring (AT). With skins on your skis you go uphill. Usually though, that's before turning around and skiing back downhill.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 25,559 times
I am sooooo pumped about Snowbasin. My son boards and he's just as excited as I am. Thanks for all the great advice!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:56 PM

I ordered my passes a few weeks ago. SO ready for ski season and to end this miserable summer weather (lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah