U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,524 times

Advertisements

I am living in southern Virginia at the moment, and northern Utah is one of my relocation possibilities, but I would like to know if there are any towns in Utah with a decent amount of cultural diversity. An area that votes Democratic is very important to me, even though I can co-exist with Republicans as well.

Quality of life is also very important, as I would like to live in an area where I can ski during the winter and hike/swim during the summer. Also, I would like to live in a relatively sparsely-populated area, but not exactly a rural area. A town that has some or many amenities of a bigger city, in an out-of-the-way location is what I'm looking for.

What towns in Utah match most of my criteria for living? All answers will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Frank

Last edited by UtahForward; 06-15-2014 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
Salt Lake City is the only town with any population of Democrats, as far as I know. It fails a lot of your other criteria. Something's got to give.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:11 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,193,908 times
Park City has also voted mostly for Democrats. Price was voting mostly for Democrats during the mining heydays (due to union membership) but that status has waned considerably with the weakening of the coal markets.

Bill

Old 06-15-2014, 02:45 PM

152 posts, read 198,654 times
If you're looking for Democrats, prepare to be mostly outnumbered...

Salt Lake is currently the only Democratic stronghold in Utah. Congressman Jim Matheson, who represents the 4th Congressional district, and Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams are both Democrats. The handful of state legislators who are Democrats also come from the Salt Lake area. Despite the relatively liberal environment in Park City, I am not aware of any Democrats who hold elected office above the local or county level. In 2008, President Obama won three counties - Salt Lake County, Summit County (home to Park City), and Grand County (home to Moab, Arches and Canyonlands). In 2012, Mitt Romney won every single county.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,193,908 times
Now, now. Play nice. We're all friends here.

This thread is about political demographics - not the politics behind them or stances therein.

Bill

Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 AM

152 posts, read 198,654 times
Sorry Bill - I wasn't intending to be argumentative or snarky. Just stating the bald facts.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,750,189 times
Salt Lake City is mostly left leaning and has a decent amount of diversity. It is the capital city. There is no sparse population here, but you're right by the mountains. SLC has held a democratic mayor since the 1970s.

Park City is very left, but isn't very diverse - mostly just very wealthy people with Land Rovers and ski bums renting their vacation homes. Their mayor is Jack Thomas, but I can't find any political affiliation for him.

West Valley City is rather diverse (only about 53% white), but politically neutral (they voted 50/50 for the Obama-McCain election and leaned slightly Romney 4 year later). The mayor is Republican. It's the second biggest city in Utah population wise, but if you go far enough west it's very suburban.

South Salt Lake is also rather diverse, but it's kind of inner-city feeling, however you can find nicer neighborhoods. Their mayor is Cherie Wood, I can't find a political affiliation, but she seems to be left leaning in her actions.

Ogden probably has some blue areas, as most urban centers tend to develop those, but I don't know Ogden well. There is also a commuter university in Ogden.

Provo... not so much... in fact avoid Utah County at all costs if you describe yourself as a democrat. Think... Mormons... and lots of them. (Edit: Nothing against Mormons - they just statistically tend to be Caucasian Republicans with less tolerance for those unlike them when they get in large groups like Provo, the tolerance thing is just my opinion. I have no stats to back that up with.)

Logan is rather red, but has some very liberal people peppered in thanks to the university. Higher education tends to attract blue. It's very outdoorsy and more rural. You might really like Logan. Fairly light on the diversity. Probably about 85% white.

Cedar City is similar to Logan with the whole mid-size-red-town-university-liberal-effect thing, but not as awesome (as an Aggie I am slightly biased). Also very little racial diversity. Cleaner air here though than anywhere previously mentioned.

St. George.. eh.. just.. no. I don't really like St. George. Some do though. Most of those "some" are 70+. Very red. So red that even all of the ground is red! Little diversity.

There really isn't anywhere in Utah that fits all of those things. Park City would be your closest, but it's very pricey and so touristy that it's not terribly rural feeling. I might be the only person to tell you this, but check out Logan. The university creates enough diversity that it's not like Provo or Bountiful (two very red areas). It also attracts some very liberal thinkers, though most of the area is farm-roots red types. The outdoors there are spectacular and the population of the whole entire county is only about 110,000 people. Once you get into the Ogden/Salt Lake/Provo area (Wasatch Front) there is no fooling yourself into thinking you're not in a city. Plus Logan is 10x more affordable than Park City.

Also, here's a link to some census racial make-up stats that another poster shared on here:
Racial/Ethnic Diversity

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 06-16-2014 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 03:44 PM
mlb

3,145 posts, read 2,829,527 times
Alta, Utah.

There are Democrats all throughout the Salt Lake Valley. Because the Legislature is predominantly Republican - it really makes no sense to think your life will not be affected by them..

We are Democrats and live in Sandy. We are not alone.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,861 times
Sounds like you're going to have to go with SLC. Stick to the extreme northeast part of the valley, like downtown (as east of main street as possible) or maybe the Avenues or Sugar House. You'll get the best quality of life while getting some diversity as well. But if the out-of-the-way thing is that important for you, then Park City would be your next best option. No other northern town has either a decent enough mix of diversity or as much liberalism. Not that Park City is super diverse, but it's as good as you're gonna get. And I second that: Do NOT go to Orem-Provo. It's very Mormon. They dwell there in great force. You will wither and die. (Okay, maybe I exaggerate... Or not...)

Actually, I think Park City fits the criteria of your second paragraph perfectly. The skiing and hiking will be right there at your doorstep, and it's out of the way in a natural setting, but not rural. It has the basic amenities and a decent amount of diverse shops and restaurants. It's not far from Salt Lake, either. The only downside is that it is generally more expensive to live there.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 PM

420 posts, read 396,334 times
Had to laugh about the posts regarding Orem-Provo. When I lived in Salt Lake, I worked with a very devout LDS member. One day he happened to overhear a couple of employees in the break room talking about how "Mormony" the Orem-Provo area was and how they would never live there. They were clearly embarrassed when this fellow caught them saying this, as he was a very strict member of the church and had even graduated from BYU (located in Provo, Utah). To their shock, he smiled and joined in, "You two are absolutely right. It's even way, way too 'Mormony' for my taste. I left town as soon as I graduated and I would never live there." We all had a good laugh about that.

However, keep in mind what MLB stated, "Because the Legislature is predominantly Republican - it really makes no sense to think your life will not be affected by them." When I lived there, I always felt like I lived under a theocracy. It was well known that the legislature never considered anything that the church had not approved of first. That being said, I should also add that we left decades ago, so can't speak as to how it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or