Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM

762 posts, read 2,112,984 times

Advertisements

I don't think the flats are worth it unless you're a huge racing fan. They're cool, but once you're there and looking at them, there's really only 10 minutes of "stuff" to see or do so you've spent 2 hours driving for 10 minutes of entertainment. If they're on your way, definitely stop. But don't go out there specifically for them.

And yes, there is definitely food to try out in the area: Red Iguana (amazing Mexican), Crown Burger (pastrami burgers), Les Madeleine bakery (kouing aman---seriously, try one; there are only 7 places in the United States that make them), just to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM

43 posts, read 131,998 times
I've removed the flats from my trip plans I guess it didn't change much since my original intinerary wasn't mapping accurate to the flats location in relation to Salt lake City....

Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM

27,982 posts, read 29,811,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfung View Post
I've removed the flats from my trip plans I guess it didn't change much since my original intinerary wasn't mapping accurate to the flats location in relation to Salt lake City....
I hope you're planning to take the scenic route instead of the interstate from Salt Lake City to Yellowstone. The drive may be a little longer, but infinitely more pleasurable.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM

43 posts, read 131,998 times
Katzpur, can you tell me which one is the scenic route, and how much longer does it add to it?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 6,937 times
Arches is fantastic just remember to bring some water as the arches aren't near the parking lot much to my befuddlement. I took my 85 year old grandmother and she died a few weeks after that trip and I still think it was because the lack of water fountains. Alas, life does go on but I liked her

Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Katzpur, can you tell me which one is the scenic route, and how much longer does it add to it?
Bear Lake, Tetons, Jackson hole. Expect to take a lot of pictures

Old 06-30-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Is there another Salt Lake City in New York? Someone told me that recently

Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I hope you're planning to take the scenic route instead of the interstate from Salt Lake City to Yellowstone. The drive may be a little longer, but infinitely more pleasurable.
Ever driven through the Grand Canyon in Colorado on 70? It's sweet

Old 07-01-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Rather than take I-15 and into West Yellowstone, take U.S. Highway 89 and enter from the south. That will take you through Grand Teton National Park, which borders Yellowstone. It's about 2 hours more driving, but infinitely more beautiful.

I was going to mention to you before that you might want to consider stopping off at Antelope Island as you head north out of Salt Lake City. It will be just a little bit out of your way, but not much. And since you've decided against the drive out to the Salt Flats, you can see the Great Salt Lake this way. It's only about 15 miles off of I-15 (long before you'd get off onto 89). There's a causeway, so you just drive out there. There are over 600 head of buffalo that live out there plus other wildlife including hundreds of species of birds. Again -- stop in at the Salt Lake Visitors Center and they'll give you instructions to the island and show you exactly where to cut off onto 89.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM

By the way, rfung, I am likely not going to have access to the internet for several days, so don't think I'm intentionally ignoring you if you ask me something and I don't answer right away. When is this trip of yours, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah