U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,700 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Utah. We currently live in San Diego county and are tired of the high cost of living and everything else going wrong here. We are LDS, but have heard that Utah mormons are quite different than SoCal ones. Both my husband and I were converts at a young age, thus we don't come from Pioneer stock. I have heard that this would make us outcasts in Utah. We are very active in the church and would like to raise our kids around a bigger LDS population. We are in our mid forties with two kids ages 14 and 12. I am definitely wanting great schools and a nice neighborhood. We can afford around 500k for a house and don't need to worry about a job (our work is via the internet). Any suggestions of what area we might fit in?
Btw, we are very down to earth and not at all pretentious and definitely do not live life trying to keep up with the Jonses. I have heard that Utah mormons would shun us due to not being Molly Mormon and Peter Preisthood. I am in no way a mom who keeps a perfect house, has perfect kids, and lives a perfect life. My home is not straight from a Pottery Barn catalog neither do I obsess over Pinterest. We don't live off of credit and my kids aren't spoiled. They haven't taken piano all their life, can't really sing, and are not talented in any way except for being awesome kids. All these things are
what I am told about Utah mormons. Sorry if this is offensive to some, I don't want it to be. I am just stating what I have heard from friends who are
either originally from Utah or have lived there before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 AM

5,320 posts, read 11,003,280 times
Really ... , of all the things I have read here in C-D,
these *I have heard* things are getting old,
except I have never heard any LDS person say this,
whether pioneer stock or not ...

Where have you heard this ?
Where did you pick up the terms Molly Mormon and Peter Priesthood ?
I know they exist, but ...

If you have friends that tell you this and you seem to believe this,
then why are you even considering coming to Utah ?

As a matter of fact you whole post sounds fishy ...

Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 AM

21,869 posts, read 21,999,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowwie View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to Utah. We currently live in San Diego county and are tired of the high cost of living and everything else going wrong here. We are LDS, but have heard that Utah mormons are quite different than SoCal ones. Both my husband and I were converts at a young age, thus we don't come from Pioneer stock. I have heard that this would make us outcasts in Utah. We are very active in the church and would like to raise our kids around a bigger LDS population. We are in our mid forties with two kids ages 14 and 12. I am definitely wanting great schools and a nice neighborhood. We can afford around 500k for a house and don't need to worry about a job (our work is via the internet). Any suggestions of what area we might fit in?
Btw, we are very down to earth and not at all pretentious and definitely do not live life trying to keep up with the Jonses. I have heard that Utah mormons would shun us due to not being Molly Mormon and Peter Preisthood. I am in no way a mom who keeps a perfect house, has perfect kids, and lives a perfect life. My home is not straight from a Pottery Barn catalog neither do I obsess over Pinterest. We don't live off of credit and my kids aren't spoiled. They haven't taken piano all their life, can't really sing, and are not talented in any way except for being awesome kids. All these things are
what I am told about Utah mormons. Sorry if this is offensive to some, I don't want it to be. I am just stating what I have heard from friends who are
either originally from Utah or have lived there before.
Wowwie,

If you move to Salt Lake City, you will undoubtedly find someone who will consider you an outcast because you're not from pioneer stock and who will shun you because you're not Molly Mormon and Peter Priesthood. I can pretty much guarantee that you will meet a Utah Mormon who keeps a perfect house, has perfect kids and lives a perfect life. Do you know any California Mormons like that or are California Mormons all above that kind of petty behavior? Sorry if this is offensive, but it really gets tiresome hearing people with no firsthand experience stereotype Utah Mormons. As a Utah Mormon, I wouldn't want someone moving in next door to me who more or less expected me to fall into this mold. I'd feel like the relationship was pretty much doomed before it had a chance to get off the ground.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:55 AM

3 posts, read 9,700 times
Wow, thanks for the kind replies. As if no one has heard of any stereotypes about Californians? All I wanted was an honest answer, and I got a lot of insight from your replies. Btw, I was born and raised in Texas and have lived in California for 20 years, but I don't get offended when people speak of stereotypes of either place. There is truth to stereotypes, the question is how much truth.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:27 AM

5,320 posts, read 11,003,280 times
A stereotype is a commonly known public belief about certain social groups or type of individuals. Stereotypes are often confused with prejudices, because, like prejudices, a stereotype is based on a prior assumption, and you well know where that word comes from ...

You used to word stereotype, not me...
So forget all that stuff you *heard* about.
Find out yourself what it is like.

Do not pay any attention to nay-sayers or obnoxious complainers.
If you spend any time reading up on what has already been beaten to death about what Utah and the LDS community is all about, then there is really no reason to even ask over and over what is true or not.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,854 times
You guys would like Moab

Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 AM

243 posts, read 519,155 times
Honestly you will do fine anywhere in Utah. Don't listen to what anyone says about being an outcast because you are a convert. Nobody cares about that. It's not like people go around asking how far back they can trace their Mormonism. There are TONS of people who have come from California and have taken advantage of the low home prices (compared to Cali). If you want to live near a bunch of other ex-cali people try Alpine or Highland. If you want something small town try south Utah county. If you want the "city" feel, any of the nicer neighborhoods in SLC will suit you fine.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 PM

42 posts, read 61,995 times
Our family came up from SoCal 3 years ago. Both my wife and I are converts. It's been no big deal...a non-issue. In fact, we've found that most stereotypes about Utah are baloney.

The LDS members up here definitely have a different culture than those in SoCal...not bad, just different. And, BTW, there are more migrants up SoCal than there are native Utahans in the SLC area. You'll find yourself in the majority on that point.

C'mon up and keep an open mind. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah