U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,355 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the newer area of New Harmony. I notice through internet searches that several homes in the same area S or W of the I-15, near the Kolob entrance for Zion NP are for sale. It seems to be a large number for such a small area. Is anyone aware of any future development, water issues, etc. that would cause current residents to leave the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 03:08 PM

306 posts, read 468,338 times
One reason might be that lots of people move here and then find that the quiet and isolation is not for them. I need it for my work so it doesn't bother me.
A few years ago, I would have said the constant evacuations due to fires were a factor but that's been less of an issue more recently.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM

175 posts, read 474,231 times
The area from Black Ridge (exit 36) to the New Harmony/Kanarraville exit (42) has more homes than it might seem. Perhaps around 500 homes and 300 established lots. Most are 5 acre properties that include cullinary water and 1 acre foot of water rights. Some lots are larger than 5 acres, but very few are smaller. There are currently 92 listings in that area, of which 25 include residences (the rest are lots being sold by developers). That number seems pretty normal (5% of homes for sale).

The people who live there typically come from rural or small towns who don't want to be in St. George or Cedar, but enjoy the benefit of having them close for shoppping, hospitals, entertainment. It should be considered rural living and is a smaller, tight-knit community. People are friendly and conservative in general. Most have some livestock or horses. It's a quiet and peaceful area.

The threat from wildfires is real, so take that into consideration. Lots closer to I-15 have less vegitation and may be less at threat. They have a volunteer fire station at exit 40. The area is currently being developed for additional homes. Kolob Ranch Estates Kolob Ranch Custom Home Community starts at Exit 36 and goes to Exit 40. The first phases began at Exit 40 and have moved south. I believe phases 6 and 7 have the majority of the vacant lots for sale right now (they are closest to Exit 36). Homes in the overall area range from $250K to $3M. Lots start around $50K and go to $150K. The area is beautiful with Pine to the west and Zion to the east. But, as cedarite said, it's not for everyone. At 5000 feet elevation, this area gets winter - snow and very cold at times (similar to Cedar weather). It also lies between the two mountain ranges so wind is funneled up I-15 so it's often windy/breezy - which can be nice in the summer, bad in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or