U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,039,898 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am interested in purchasing land out West. I came across a lot of cheap land in Iron County (such as this: Beryl Junction, Iron County, Utah land for sale - 2.17 acres at LandWatch.com) and was wondering about the area. It seems pretty rural and not much infrastructure. Is that correct? Any chance this area will be built up in the coming years? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:41 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,742,790 times
Let's put it this way, I've lived in Utah for 22 years. I am a geologist and travel to remote places, over cattle roads, that most Utahans have never heard of.

I have never heard of Beryl Junction until you posted this.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:26 PM

5,315 posts, read 10,979,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Hello. I am interested in purchasing land out West. I came across a lot of cheap land in Iron County (such as this: Beryl Junction, Iron County, Utah land for sale - 2.17 acres at LandWatch.com) and was wondering about the area. It seems pretty rural and not much infrastructure. Is that correct? Any chance this area will be built up in the coming years? Thanks.
You never know ...
You wait long enough, maybe it gets built up ??
Again, with what, who knows !
Right now, if you like remote areas, you will feel right at home.
Cedar City is within 30 miles, so OK to do your regular shopping.
What are you looking for in regard of *infrastructure* ?
Interested in sod farming ? No idea what else is going on there !
The sodfarms there are about the size of half of the St. George area !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Let's put it this way, I've lived in Utah for 22 years. I am a geologist and travel to remote places, over cattle roads, that most Utahans have never heard of.

I have never heard of Beryl Junction until you posted this.
Just because you are geologist, does not mean you know every nook and cranny in this State.
I have met people who never have been south of Payson ...

On the other hand, I have been in Utah a lot shorter than you and I know exactly where it is ...
It even has a small airport ! OK, Airstrip ... !
(That is why I know where it is ...)
As a matter of fact, the area around Cedar City is dotted with small airstrips !

Last edited by irman; 08-10-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 09:44 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,742,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
...Just because you are geologist, does not mean you know every nook and cranny in this State.
I have met people who never have been south of Payson ...
I agree with this, I certainly don't (as I've admittedly never heard of Beryl) but I have definitely been to some strange places..

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
On the other hand, I have been in Utah a lot shorter than you and I know exactly where it is ...
It even has a small airport ! OK, Airstrip ... !
(That is why I know where it is ...)
As a matter of fact, the area around Cedar City is dotted with small airstrips !
Well maybe I just need to get down into Iron County more often. I feel like Beaver County has been a second home from time to time, but I've actually never been to Iron County for work, which is strange as it's named after a mineral.. *shrug*

Old 08-11-2014, 01:23 PM

5,315 posts, read 10,979,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I've actually never been to Iron County for work, which is strange as it's named after a mineral.. *shrug*
History of that place is the reason for the name ...

<<< Coal in the canyons east of Cedar City and iron ore in the mountains west inspired the early Iron Mission—settlers who came to mine and smelt iron to help Utah be more self-sufficient, But the pioneer-era iron development didn’t work particularly well. Later mining and transportation turned the county toward a new era befitting the county name. Old Iron Town still has a fine beehive coking oven among its ruins. The west end of the county also has some historic and current precious metal mining.>>>

My friend Google came up with that answer !
Iron County

We often fly around that area and thus are a bit familiar it ...

It is almost ridiculous when you find out how many small airstrips you can find in Utah,

including those abandoned ones, which you can only reach by air !
We have a thing (hobby) to try to *hit* as many as we can find.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 PM

305 posts, read 466,065 times
Water is an issue in Iron County. If the land doesn't come with water rights or other access, it would be hard to do much with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or