Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,781 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I love coming to this website and reading the forums, have been doing so ever since I made the move to Las Vegas over 5 years ago

Having said that, my husband has a job offer in Vernal UT. I never wanted to live in Vegas long term, but I've come to tolerate it. We have a 4 year old son. We are pretty on the fence about this. I would like to move to Boulder City, NV, if we decide not to move to Vernal. But my husbands job isn't 100% stable as he is in the rare earths industry. It's a really tough decision and I really don't know what to decide.

I've read the few threads about it. Is there anything I should know? I've lived in small towns, grew up in one of 5000 people in Northern British Columbia, however It's been a while since I've done the small town thing. There are pros and cons to either. I kind of miss the small town vibe, and sense of community, which is very lacking in Vegas. I don't know if this is my way out of Vegas, and a stepping stone perhaps for bigger things in the future, or if we should stay put and see if the my husbands current job becomes more stable in the future. Right now we can sell our house and come out with a profit on top and have a stable job in Vernal (my husbands current boss is moving as well and he would be working under him there as well). If we moved it would leave us sitting quite comfortably for a move, I figure we would just rent out there until we decide if we want to settle there long term and buy a house.

*sigh* Wow, I went on a ramble!

I guess I'm a little worried about the economy in the future, and I kind of miss a small town vibe, but is Vernal too isolated? Are people friendly? I'm an outdoorsy person and would love my son to grow up in some wide spaces. How is the air pollution? I've read conflicting things on the matter. I'm assuming I can expect a better education for my son than Las Vegas, as we have some of the worst schools in the country. How are the youth? Is there a lot of drug usage? Also wondering if there is a good or bad area of town, to stay away from in terms of renting an apartment etc.

I've lived away from my family for 5 years now (they are all in Canada) my husbands family is in California, so we've been plodding away on our own for a while.

Any input or thoughts anyone would like to give I'm all ears!

Last edited by miranda11; 01-15-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah