U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,113,221 times

Advertisements

This is NOT a political debate thread. Rather, it is a high five for Mia Love winning the 4th District yesterday.

I don't care about party affiliation, I care about reality in 2014. So many write questions essentially asking if any minorities are accepted in the Intermountain West. I believe Miss Love's election answers that question.

Ms. Love will be the first black Republican Woman ever elected to congress! UT residents should be proud. There are plenty of southern and other states where a black woman can't get elected to office and should be able to win.

For those who wish Ms. Love had been affiliated with a different party, first think what this means to beat much larger states with the first black Republican Woman Representative. Does UT accept people of different races and ethnic backgrounds and skin colors? YES.

Can a non-white woman win office in UT? Yes. Ms. Love lost two years ago by less than 1,000 votes. She ran again and it was a close race with Love emerging victorious tonight.

If you want more women, different political parties in office, get busy this week finding your candidates and raising money.

I congratulate and wish Ms. Love the best. I anticipate some in D.C. will not be happy to see a UT resident make this history.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,193,222 times
Mia Love won because she was running as a Republican in a district gerrymandered to favor Republicans. It's not because she was Black or a woman - those actually worked against her.

Bill

Old 11-05-2014, 09:09 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,748,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Mia Love won because she was running as a Republican in a district gerrymandered to favor Republicans. It's not because she was Black or a woman - those actually worked against her.

Bill
This is 100% correct. I have nothing to add.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:15 PM

326 posts, read 348,600 times
History making is laughable, she was bought and paid for, her status was of no consequence.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,113,221 times
Default Other States Do Too

Quote:

Bill
I have to stick to not having political debates here, given moderator rules. Politics and other forums would be a good place for a discussion of your points, Bill. They are valid points.

That being written, plenty of other states have done the same thing. Additionally, the same comments were said when former Rep. Matheson's district was redesigned. East Millcreek and Price made many scratch their heads. I didn't state whether I agreed or disagreed with any of them.

My major point here is there are so many questions about whether minorities are accepted in UT and surrounding Intermountain States. I think having a Representative whose last name is Chavez and now a black female as two of UT's Congressional Reps, most people shouldn't need to keep asking those OLD questions here.

And while it may not matter to some, I like national history having to recognize UT for being first. I'm tired of certain eastern, southern and west coast states repeatedly discounting Intermountain West states being the first to do something.

MSR

Old 11-05-2014, 02:47 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,193,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
My major point here is there are so many questions about whether minorities are accepted in UT and surrounding Intermountain States. I think having a Representative whose last name is Chavez and now a black female as two of UT's Congressional Reps, most people shouldn't need to keep asking those OLD questions here.
I understand your point and like your optimism - but strongly disagree that's what drove Love's election. The Blacks I know do not see her (an LDS Republican) as representing them or their interests.

I've lived in and out of Utah since 1970 and have seen racial progress take place. And, I'm pleased you think we've made it in gaining acceptance of Blacks. But, I still think we've got a long way to go. The Blacks I know still get pulled over for the occasional DWB (Driving While Black) - not as often, but it still occurs. And, they still experience higher than normal rejections from landlords and service providers. It is what it is.

Seriously, I wish you were right. Many people also thought that gaining a Black president was a sign we'd made it. Again, that's not the case. The struggle continues.

If a poster were to ask about our state and whether or not it's a good idea for a Black person to move here, I would feel negligent in advising, "If Black, you'll be welcomed in Utah with open arms and have just as many opportunities as anyone else." I just don't see that happening yet.

Bill

Old 11-05-2014, 03:41 PM

763 posts, read 1,672,993 times
Quote:
^^^This.

Mia Love's win is testament only to the degree of influence held by Utah's white, male Republicans, and to the power of having an (R) beside one's name in a Utah election. It is most definitely NOT about Utah voters' accepting a black female.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,746,579 times
For sure a history making win. However I would disagree this it somehow reflects that utah is a state that is welcoming to foreigners. A small percentage of the populAtion vote especially in midterm elections. It was a small small fraction of the population.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,081,395 times
I have NO problem with foreigners, I have a HUGE problem with "Illegals". As for Mia, she's a very smart gal indeed. I have a feeling she will do a fine job. It's not like Matheson was wonderful to say the least. I happen to feel to some degree a politician is a politician, and they rarely do what is in the interest of their constituents but rather their political party and their own agendas. We're in for an interesting ride with Obama on one side and all the Republican's on the other. Don't count on too much and perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised. As long as they don't continue to yank the taxes higher. My nose is already at the water mark.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 PM

9,126 posts, read 9,211,287 times
Mia Love won because she outspent Owens 5-1 in a year that heavily favored republicans. Even so, her victory margin was 50-47 percent of the vote.

I hope she is a one term congress woman.

Oh, and Utah now has the distinction of having a one-party congressional delegation. Two republican senators and four republican members of the house of representatives. The state apparently has no need for a two party system at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah