U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 09:44 AM

26 posts, read 34,423 times

Advertisements

We are a South African family wit four children living in Phoenix. The heat and the standard of education has become a strain and we are looking at other states. I keep going back to the "Utah" link. We are not mormon and would like to know if there are communities that are not "mormon concentrated"? We know nothing about Utah at all. Can you suggest a medium size city/town? We are also looking at the safety factor. We were looking at Spokane Washington, but was put off the fact that it seems to be a city full of violence. I stand to be corrected but if I am wrong please let me know. I am open to suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:13 AM

9,133 posts, read 9,217,901 times
I would suggest you consider an area in and around Salt Lake County. The metropolitan population of the area is over 1,000,000. Weber and Davis counties (north of Salt Lake) might also be good options. I can suggest a number of communities, but part of it simply depends on how much you can afford to pay for a home. Are you planning to buy? What is your approximate budget? Are you planning to rent?

You ask about "Mormon concentration". The state is about 60% Mormon or LDS. The closer you get to downtown Salt Lake the smaller percentage of Mormons you will find living in the area. Ogden, in Weber County, also has a percentage of Mormons that is less than the 60% statewide average.

Utah has relatively low violent crime rates compared to most states. However, it is certainly not nonexistent and some areas are better than others.

Utah schools are probably better than those in Phoenix, but do not make the mistake of thinking there are no problems with public education here. Our schools have many students because of large Utah families and we have not funded them as adequately as we should have. Utah's students perform at an average level with some of the lowest per pupil expenditures in this country.

It would help me tell you whether Utah is good place for you if you could be more descriptive about what you are looking for. Are you outdoors enthusiasts? Do you ski? Do you hike? Is employment an issue for you? Are you looking for a state with four distinct seasons, or do you need something with year round warm weather?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:49 PM

326 posts, read 349,048 times
What about work? What about money?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Mark, thank you for your reply. We are looking for a little more green then we are seeing here. We would like some seasons too. Unfortunately we have only experienced very hot in Phoenix and then very cold in Minnesota and Canada. My husband is looking at writing one of the state bar exams. He is a South African attorney and at the moment does some research independently until he can get his papers sorted out. We are not hikers at all, so that is not a deciding factor. We are looking for a neighborhood where kids can play.. We are not able to buy now, and have to wait for my husband to do his exams etc..that could take a few months. Unfortunately, we did not know Phoenix when we first landed and chose a neighborhood that is full of drug addicts and low income families.The school was absolutely terrible but we had signed a six month rental agreement. I had to take the kids out of the local school and apply to another school 30 minutes away! We do not want to make the same mistake this time. This time we would like to know a little bit more about the neighborhood we choose to rent in. It does not have to be top of the range because we are on a tight budget but at the same time we do not want a re-occurance.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 PM

So are you just moving around the country? Maybe an RV would be a better choice? Is your DH doing his law stuff online or something LOL? If your budget is crappy, you will just rinse and repeat. Is it realistic that a SA attorney will just magic up some papers and be able to work here, do you have a green card? You are self funding this? No actual employer? Do you have a job too? Did your DH come with a real employer?
Utah is great place to live, there are quite a few SA here actually, maybe you can google a SA group in Utah? But landing here with no job, no budget, no plans, is just unimaginable to me. Define your top of the range, define budget?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Yes we do have a green card. My husband has already done the CA bar exam waiting for the results but it is a very difficult exam. Once he has passed that exam he can approach other states. Many states have requirements about writing their bar exam. We are on a tight budget as explained before. I will try and get in touch with the South African group living in Salt Lake City. My question again is what neighborhood?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:31 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,896,679 times
What is your budget? I know a little about Phoenix as my daughter's boyfriend lived there until he moved up here at 16. He said that some areas ARE very sketchy! Luckily, Utah is not nearly as bad! Will your husband be commuting anywhere, or do you not know at this point?

There are SO MANY neighborhoods in which you could choose from. Without knowing how much you are looking to spend and other particulars, it is hard to point you in a direction.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Well, I always say if I had it all over to do again it would be Park City, then second would be SLC, Avenues first, then Sugarhouse, then Cottonwood heights. You can just set up to rent in the areas close to the best public schools you need. You need to define budget.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM

152 posts, read 198,654 times
Hi Hannabie -

I will start out with a baseline assumption that you are intelligent professionals and great parents with excellent money-management skills and appropriate immigration status. : ) We made a similar mistake choosing a neighborhood when we arrived in Los Angeles years ago with two toddlers in tow, so I completely understand your desire to avoid a repeat of that situation.

Lots of non-Mormons are happily enjoying their lives and raising kids all along the Wasatch Front. As MarkG notes, many are concentrated near Salt Lake City.

Here are some towns to consider: Farmington, Bountiful, Sandy, and Cottonwood Heights (in no particular order). I think they are places with good neighborhoods and good schools - places where you are less likely to go wrong in choosing. They are more suburban bedroom communities than city and work best if you are a 2-car family. You can rent a nice 3-bedroom house for $1500 or less in Davis County (Farmington and Bountiful). Rents look to be at least 20% higher in Sandy and Cottonwood Heights.

Salt Lake City proper doesn’t fall in line with my idea of a “medium sized city/town”, but the Avenues and Sugarhouse are a couple of its better neighborhoods.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-09-2014, 11:21 AM

It would be a smart move to look at the work side of things though. How affected is a client based profession by the fact your DH isn't in the big Utah club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah