U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:17 AM

5,321 posts, read 11,008,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
So, how was the Kool-Aid ?
Not as good as Near-Beer ...
You have a better brand you get off on ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:20 AM

413 posts, read 1,425,826 times
Yup. It's called truth and reality.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:47 PM

326 posts, read 349,622 times
I have to say that I15 traffic is becoming horrible either way don't assume going south is going to be easy even after the 215.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,006,631 times
There are some areas in Utah County that are more of a mixture than Porvo . Yes, you need to come with a good attitude but I have learned the hard way that you also need to learn to stick up for you and your children from time to time.
We live on a wonderful street ( minus 1 or 2 crazy neighbors) so living in Utah County is doable if you are non LDS. Porvo though I think would be hard, listen to Kaztpur, she know the area well.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:02 PM

5,321 posts, read 11,008,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
I have to say that I15 traffic is becoming horrible either way don't assume going south is going to be easy even after the 215.
I do that often when I have a job in that direction, depends on what time you do it.
A bit earlier or later than everybody else, is no problem !
60+ mph all the way !!!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 AM

72 posts, read 94,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Anybody coming to Utah with the preconceived idea that they will be,
*shunned*, *looked down upon*, *ostracized*,
or whatever else negative phenomenon,
WILL experience all of the above !
You look for it ... , it will find you !!

Interesting.....

My first go around in Utah was when my family moved to Provo when I was 14, the same age as the OP's daughter. I came to Provo open minded. I came here expecting inclusion, and friendliness.....

Then reality set in. That ISN'T how Provo, ESPECIALLY Provo School District is. It doesn't matter what mindset you show up with, Provo Schools are NOTHING bit cliques based on a certain common denominator that permeates Utah. You can be the nicest, most outgoing person on the planet but if you don't belong to the right social circles, or have a "Pioneer" last name you ARE treated differently, and NOT offered much friendship. In fact in many cases you're bullied every day over the issues.

For the OP: On the flipside if your main concern is your daughter you don't have to live clear in Salt Lake. Speaking from experience, Springeville and Spanish Fork High Schools are MUCH better than Provo. Kids aren't AS hung up on little cliques and if your daughter has a similar experience to mine many years ago the smaller town kids will be excited to be friendly with her. So while Provo is extreme in that regard, not all of the area is quite that bad. As a general rule Lehi to Provo has a lot of discrimination, north of Lehi and south of Provo not as much. Although beware of Payson, one of my younger cousins attends Payson High School and they have a growing drug problem. If you look for housing in Payson make sure it falls under Salem School District.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:53 PM

4,942 posts, read 2,685,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridiangirlsincelittle View Post
Hi am a wife and a mother to a 14 year old girl and we are thinking of moving to the Orem/provo area from Florida. we are not LDS so am not sure if my daughter will fit in at school because we are SDA. We are moving to Provo because that's where my job at kelley educational staffing is located in Utah, We wanted to live in salt lake city but they don't have my job there. We lived in salt lake city Utah in 2009 for 3 months and we loved it. But we are not sure about Provo if my daughter will be happy and will fit in with all the Morman kids. I have read many posts in the forum that say that non LDS should not live in Utah because there children will not fit in because everyone is LDS. We don't have anything against LDS, We love LDS they are very kind but we are afraid my kid will feel isolated

please answer if it is a bad or good idea to move to provo?
You guys will love utah as it's home for us and we transitioned just fine!

I'd also strongly suggest living in Herriman, South Jordan, or Draper if you can make the 30 min commute. Alpine or Highland might be doable as well but residents there would have to chime in.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM

72 posts, read 94,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
You guys will love utah as it's home for us and we transitioned just fine!

I'd also strongly suggest living in Herriman, South Jordan, or Draper if you can make the 30 min commute. Alpine or Highland might be doable as well but residents there would have to chime in.
Alpine and Highland both have City Laws making it for private businesses to operate on Sunday's, among other horrible statutes. I would strongly recommend not even bothering unless you're hardcore LDS.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:58 AM

30,108 posts, read 67,221,241 times
Draper has at least enough religious diversity to be able to support a major Catholic high school, and it is about a half-hour to Provo and 25 minutes to Salt Lake City. The community trends more affluent, but it may be an option. There are also fun activities there such as the aquarium, an indoor trampoline arena, Cinemark theater, and IKEA.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:52 AM

763 posts, read 1,675,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Draper has at least enough religious diversity to be able to support a major Catholic high school
My ex-spouse is a former teacher at that Catholic High School and few, if any, of the students live in Draper. It's a major magnet school for other areas, especially SLC Catholics who wanted newer facilities for their children than Judge Memorial (which is the Catholic high school downtown) could provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or