U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,242 times

Advertisements

Hi am a wife and a mother to a 14 year old girl and we are thinking of moving to the Orem/provo area from Florida. we are not LDS so am not sure if my daughter will fit in at school because we are SDA. We are moving to Provo because that's where my job at kelley educational staffing is located in Utah, We wanted to live in salt lake city but they don't have my job there. We lived in salt lake city Utah in 2009 for 3 months and we loved it. But we are not sure about Provo if my daughter will be happy and will fit in with all the Morman kids. I have read many posts in the forum that say that non LDS should not live in Utah because there children will not fit in because everyone is LDS. We don't have anything against LDS, We love LDS they are very kind but we are afraid my kid will feel isolated

please answer if it is a bad or good idea to move to provo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
Bad IMO. What is SDA?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:19 PM

21,864 posts, read 21,987,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Bad IMO. What is SDA?
Seventh Day Adventist.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:21 PM

21,864 posts, read 21,987,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridiangirlsincelittle View Post
Hi am a wife and a mother to a 14 year old girl and we are thinking of moving to the Orem/provo area from Florida. we are not LDS so am not sure if my daughter will fit in at school because we are SDA. We are moving to Provo because that's where my job at kelley educational staffing is located in Utah, We wanted to live in salt lake city but they don't have my job there. We lived in salt lake city Utah in 2009 for 3 months and we loved it. But we are not sure about Provo if my daughter will be happy and will fit in with all the Morman kids. I have read many posts in the forum that say that non LDS should not live in Utah because there children will not fit in because everyone is LDS. We don't have anything against LDS, We love LDS they are very kind but we are afraid my kid will feel isolated

please answer if it is a bad or good idea to move to provo?
No, it is absolutely not a good idea for you to move to Provo. Your daughter will feel isolated. Salt Lake City and Provo are very different from each other, and the fact that you liked Salt Lake City is not a good indicator that you would like Provo. Within a day or so, I suspect that you'll have another 10 or 12 posters telling you the same thing. Could you come back to Salt Lake or is that not an option?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM

413 posts, read 1,425,117 times
To be honest, it's a horrendous idea.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:51 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,895,978 times
If you could move to Salt Lake, it would be fine. Moving to Provo? I strongly suggest you don't.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,309 times
Honestly, I think people here over-react here about the Mormons in Provo. There are lots of non-LDS people here, and from what I've heard, the Mormon church is losing members. I'm not LDS (don't have kids) and live part time in Provo and part time in Florida. I have never met a Mormon here who has brought up their religion or tried to convert me. I don't know how the kids are, but if your daughter doesn't bring up religion and is friendly, I suspect she'll be fine. I would suggest that you rent a place and try it out for a year and see how it goes. The commute from SLC would be horrible. In general, I think Provo is probably a nice place for a family - there's a good recreation center, water parks, ice skating rink, hiking, skiing, etc. I would think it's not so bad having a teenager daughter going to school with kids that are less likely to be experimenting with drugs, alcohol, etc. Just watch out for the non-LDS crowd here, some of them go to the other extreme.

Last edited by Annat69; 11-14-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 07:02 AM

9,129 posts, read 9,215,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annat69 View Post
Honestly, I think people here over-react here about the Mormons in Provo. There are lots of non-LDS people here, and from what I've heard, the Mormon church is losing members. I'm not LDS (don't have kids) and live part time in Provo and part time in Florida. I have never met a Mormon here who has brought up their religion or tried to convert me. I don't know how the kids are, but if your daughter doesn't bring up religion and is friendly, I suspect she'll be fine. I would suggest that you rent a place and try it out for a year and see how it goes. The commute from SLC would be horrible. In general, I think Provo is probably a nice place for a family - there's a good recreation center, water parks, ice skating rink, hiking, skiing, etc. I would think it's not so bad having a teenager daughter going to school with kids that are less likely to be experimenting with drugs, alcohol, etc. Just watch out for the non-LDS crowd here, some of them go to the other extreme.
The two things that I have put in bold print above are critical.

You don't have children and you only live part time in the Provo area. One of the biggest issues I have found for non-Mormon people living in Utah is finding a place for their children to "fit in". Utah County (Provo) has a very high percentage of LDS people. A high percentage of these people are very active in their church. Most of the teenage girls will be very occupied with school, family, and church activities. They will have little time available to make friends with someone who does not attend the church that they do.

The point that many of us make here again and again is if the OP chose to live in Salt Lake County it would be a better bet for her. She would encounter both a higher percentage of non-Mormon people and inactive Mormon people. She and her daughter would have a considerably better chance of meeting others and making friends in that situation.

All kinds of things are possible. She might, by chance, find a neighborhood in Utah County where things would be more to her liking. She might also find a SDA community that is a satisfactory social outlet for the two of them. I think what most of are saying though is that we think the odds are against that if they live in Provo and that the odds are considerably more in their favor if they settle around Salt Lake.

You exaggerate the difficulty of the commute. I have traveled many times from north of Salt Lake down to Provo even in winter months and have never found the driving that difficult. I-15 is the main artery for north/south travel in Utah and, as such, UDOT focuses great resources on keeping this road plowed and sanded during the worst of the winter. If driving is a problem it is now possible to catch the train "Front Runner" and take it from Salt Lake City to Provo. Buses can than get the OP to work.

Honestly, I am starting to get surprised at just how many people ask this same question. Apparently, there are many non-LDS people who seem to be getting jobs in the Provo area. Maybe we ought to make a "sticky" thread and provide an answer to this question in the sticky?

Old 11-15-2014, 09:08 AM

5,317 posts, read 10,997,499 times
First the travel to Provo from *the north*.
Most of the travel during the peak hours is *the other way*,
so it may be a long travel time but doable.
Going home is the same thing, most travel is again the other way.

So living in the SLC area may be good or better, who knows.

Second, living in the Provo *area*, may or may not be desirable.
It all depends on the persons themselves.
I do know of *non-LDS* friends living and working in that area,
and they have no *problems*.
But ... , they do not drink or have loud parties.
AND ... , they all have children !
The philosophy they have adopted is,
if you cant join them, beat them,
if you can't beat them, join them.
So they have integrated into that *lifestyle*.
NOT assimilated. There is a big difference there.

From either side, there is way more *giving* than *taking*.

So again, if there is a *tolerance* problem, it usually originated from both sides.
Always some *bad apples*, regardless of where you live.

Anybody coming to Utah with the preconceived idea that they will be,
*shunned*, *looked down upon*, *ostracized*,
or whatever else negative phenomenon,
WILL experience all of the above !
You look for it ... , it will find you !!

Come here with
an open mind, a desire to fit in,
a willingness to listen when spoken to,
a smile on your face at all times,
and the capacity of saying ... *Oh well*.
If you happen to have a *I know better then you* attitude,
get rid of it, before you even start packing.

Too many newcomers, and even *long time* residents, have this negative attitude,
and sadly keep repeating it here on this forum over and over again !

Sad, but true, and all I can say is ... *Oh well*

Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM

413 posts, read 1,425,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
First the travel to Provo from *the north*.
Most of the travel during the peak hours is *the other way*,
so it may be a long travel time but doable.
Going home is the same thing, most travel is again the other way.

So living in the SLC area may be good or better, who knows.

Second, living in the Provo *area*, may or may not be desirable.
It all depends on the persons themselves.
I do know of *non-LDS* friends living and working in that area,
and they have no *problems*.
But ... , they do not drink or have loud parties.
AND ... , they all have children !
The philosophy they have adopted is,
if you cant join them, beat them,
if you can't beat them, join them.
So they have integrated into that *lifestyle*.
NOT assimilated. There is a big difference there.

From either side, there is way more *giving* than *taking*.

So again, if there is a *tolerance* problem, it usually originated from both sides.
Always some *bad apples*, regardless of where you live.

Anybody coming to Utah with the preconceived idea that they will be,
*shunned*, *looked down upon*, *ostracized*,
or whatever else negative phenomenon,
WILL experience all of the above !
You look for it ... , it will find you !!

Come here with
an open mind, a desire to fit in,
a willingness to listen when spoken to,
a smile on your face at all times,
and the capacity of saying ... *Oh well*.
If you happen to have a *I know better then you* attitude,
get rid of it, before you even start packing.

Too many newcomers, and even *long time* residents, have this negative attitude,
and sadly keep repeating it here on this forum over and over again !

Sad, but true, and all I can say is ... *Oh well*
So, how was the Kool-Aid ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or