U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,480 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am from so cal and have spent tons of time in Death Valley, climbing in the Sierras, surfing the oceans, and trail running/mtn biking my local mtns in Santa Clarita (epic trails btw). I am ready for a change. I was in paramedic school and had some interesting life events come up so I am returning next summer. Me and my gf just broke up and I need some change. The beautiful red rocks of Moab are calling. I need a job and an apartment/room. I have done some research but I am a 31 year old with National Emergency Medical Technician Cert, some paramedic training, worked as a personal trainer for 3 years, and worked in the climbing department at the local climb shop. I have 3 years complete on a Kinesiology degree, have an A.A. in basic edu, and 9 units away from an A.S. in fire technology. I worked as an EMT in the busiest place in La County in south central/inglewood,Malibu, and Hollywood. I need some desert solitude and a nice place to ride, climb, work, and study my paramedic books. Anything will help! Thanks,
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,194,269 times
I spend quite a bit of time in and around Moab in my Jeeps and on my bikes. It really is an amazing place and is just a short 4 hour drive from my SLC home. It's also high on my list of places I'd like to live.

Having said the above, good jobs and housing in that area can be hard to come by. There's a lot of seasonal stuff that comes and goes.

I'm biased in favor of government jobs (being a retired government worker). The jobs are stable and have good benefits. As such, I recommend looking for anything in your allied fields at the city, county, state and federal levels.

The trick with government work is just to get your foot in the door. That often means taking a job you don't really want - and then using that a base from which to work towards where you want to be. It probably took my wife and I (she's still in government service and will retire soon) 6 or 7 years to get into decent jobs that fit with our career plans.

Another thought: If you do need to take a job outside your field in Moab just to get by, you could always volunteer during the peak season with the First Responders on search and rescue operations (etc.). That would get you rubbing shoulders with pros in the system. And, if they like what they see, those pros can be your references as well as assist you getting into the system.

Bill

Old 11-23-2014, 08:50 AM

9,134 posts, read 9,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarndt View Post
Hi,
I am from so cal and have spent tons of time in Death Valley, climbing in the Sierras, surfing the oceans, and trail running/mtn biking my local mtns in Santa Clarita (epic trails btw). I am ready for a change. I was in paramedic school and had some interesting life events come up so I am returning next summer. Me and my gf just broke up and I need some change. The beautiful red rocks of Moab are calling. I need a job and an apartment/room. I have done some research but I am a 31 year old with National Emergency Medical Technician Cert, some paramedic training, worked as a personal trainer for 3 years, and worked in the climbing department at the local climb shop. I have 3 years complete on a Kinesiology degree, have an A.A. in basic edu, and 9 units away from an A.S. in fire technology. I worked as an EMT in the busiest place in La County in south central/inglewood,Malibu, and Hollywood. I need some desert solitude and a nice place to ride, climb, work, and study my paramedic books. Anything will help! Thanks,
Tim
Moab is a community with limited job opportunities. Many of the jobs that exist are part time or seasonal because of the fact that the vast majority of the local economy involves tourism.

You aren't first person who has come here basically expressing a desire to lose themselves in the red rocks of southern Utah because of personal or family issues. IMO, its not a good thing to do. Better to get your life in order back home and come here for a visit instead. Other posters have written here in the past about just how difficult it is to get a job in Moab that pays more than minimum wage and can be called respectable employment. I have been surprised at just how bitter some of them have been.

My advice to you is to come to Moab for a visit and try to find employment. If you find something suitable, than great. Make some more permanent plans and stay. However, if you can't find suitable employment than this is a dream that you better give up on and trade for something more practical.

I am not saying that EMT's don't do important work. However, there is no shortage of EMT's in most communities that I am aware of. Obtaining an EMT certification is not particularly difficult. I am sure your experience counts for something, but only if there are openings. Government budgets have been severely constrained in recent years because of the recession. Working as a personal trainer? I suspect the demand for that is very low in a place like Moab. I suppose I could be wrong, but I'd bet money I'm right. You might find work in the summers fighting brush fires. The rest of the year? I'm skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah