U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:03 PM
 
9,473 posts, read 5,883,559 times
Reputation: 2162

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This new map just came out and should be interesting to people moving in to Utah and wondering which areas have the highest and lowest percentages of LDS residents.



It looks like Salt Lake County (where Salt Lake City is located) is now 51% LDS.
Weber County (where Ogden is located) is 54% LDS.
Utah County (where Orem and Provo are located) is now 82% -- the highest of all the counties.
Washington (where St. George is located) is 62%.
Summit (where Park City is located) is just 30% LDS.

Utah, as a whole, is just under 63% LDS. I hope this information will be helpful.
That's interesting. I used to live in San Juan county. Of course, much of SJ county is the reservation ( that's where I lived) and isn't a high percentage LDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2014, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,770 posts, read 1,750,189 times
Reputation: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Wow. Not Mormon here, had no idea the %'s were THAT high for LDS, even in Utah.
They're not. Outside of certain Mormon-strongholds (Provo, Orem, South Jordan..), most Mormons are inactive or just no longer believe in their faith. I for example am part of that 51% statistic for Salt Lake County, but I'm proudly Ex-Mormon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 AM
 
4,908 posts, read 2,669,850 times
Reputation: 8937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
They're not. Outside of certain Mormon-strongholds (Provo, Orem, South Jordan..), most Mormons are inactive or just no longer believe in their faith. I for example am part of that 51% statistic for Salt Lake County, but I'm proudly Ex-Mormon.
so for this metric would you identify as in or out? Not sure if the metric is measuring heritage or participation?

Our first noticeable observation came last Friday night when my wife and I went to Texas Roadhouse in Bountiful for dinner. We went to the bar for a drink while having a 25 min wait for table. The buzzer went off early and my wife's drink was not finished. I went to the hostess and waited in line to be seated for the table. Meanwhile my wife got up from the bar with her 50 % finished drink and started to walk towards where the tables would be. She was approached by two servers and the manager with great contempt as they stated she was violating a law by standing with an alcoholic beverage. Literally our table was 5 feet outside of the bar area and they made us feel like we broke some local code that everyone else knew.

This never happened anywhere in salt lake county where we do this all the time. The porcupine grill was a common stop in Cottonwood and they never gave us any issues regarding drinks between sitting or standing in the bar or waiting area and then transferring to our table.

Anyway more to come on Davis v SL county experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
They're not. Outside of certain Mormon-strongholds (Provo, Orem, South Jordan..), most Mormons are inactive or just no longer believe in their faith.
It's an exaggeration to say that "most Mormons" in Utah are either inactive or non-believing, but the 51% definitely does include those who no longer consider themselves to be Mormon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
so for this metric would you identify as in or out? Not sure if the metric is measuring heritage or participation?
It's enither heritage or participation, but would be closer to heritage. Children raised in LDS households are typically baptized at the age of eight. Anyone older than that, is baptized at the time of conversion, whether it be at age 9 or 79. The percentage refers to anyone who is "a member of record," meaning that he or she was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church at some point in time and has never requested that his or her name be removed from the Church's records. So while for people born into LDS families, it could probably be considered "heritage," for a convert it would be just their choice to be baptized. Since two thirds of the membership of the Church today are converts (though this is dedfinitely not the case in Utah), any percentage of a city's, a state's or a country's membership that is classified as LDS would be reflective of either present or past belief and participation.

Quote:
Our first noticeable observation came last Friday night when my wife and I went to Texas Roadhouse in Bountiful for dinner. We went to the bar for a drink while having a 25 min wait for table. The buzzer went off early and my wife's drink was not finished. I went to the hostess and waited in line to be seated for the table. Meanwhile my wife got up from the bar with her 50 % finished drink and started to walk towards where the tables would be. She was approached by two servers and the manager with great contempt as they stated she was violating a law by standing with an alcoholic beverage. Literally our table was 5 feet outside of the bar area and they made us feel like we broke some local code that everyone else knew.

This never happened anywhere in salt lake county where we do this all the time. The porcupine grill was a common stop in Cottonwood and they never gave us any issues regarding drinks between sitting or standing in the bar or waiting area and then transferring to our table.
Well, technically, your wife was violating the law, however ludicrous the law might be (and I agree, it is pretty ludicrous). Some restaurants are just going to be more strict in enforcing it than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 01:28 PM
 
4,908 posts, read 2,669,850 times
Reputation: 8937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's an exaggeration to say that "most Mormons" in Utah are either inactive or non-believing, but the 51% definitely does include those who no longer consider themselves to be Mormon.

It's enither heritage or participation, but would be closer to heritage. Children raised in LDS households are typically baptized at the age of eight. Anyone older than that, is baptized at the time of conversion, whether it be at age 9 or 79. The percentage refers to anyone who is "a member of record," meaning that he or she was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church at some point in time and has never requested that his or her name be removed from the Church's records. So while for people born into LDS families, it could probably be considered "heritage," for a convert it would be just their choice to be baptized. Since two thirds of the membership of the Church today are converts (though this is dedfinitely not the case in Utah), any percentage of a city's, a state's or a country's membership that is classified as LDS would be reflective of either present or past belief and participation.

Well, technically, your wife was violating the law, however ludicrous the law might be (and I agree, it is pretty ludicrous). Some restaurants are just going to be more strict in enforcing it than others.
Thanks for the clarification on the metric... Regarding the law it would be helpful if a sign or something otherwise was posted. Nowhere else in the US that we have lived or visited ever had such a restriction. I also guess places in Cottonwood/Salt lake County are much more lax on their enforcement of said law.

The Porcupine, Hogs Wallow, Beer Hive and O'Shucks are all frequent places for us that have never said a thing when doing this exact thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 02:12 PM
 
1,961 posts, read 3,747,437 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the metric... Regarding the law it would be helpful if a sign or something otherwise was posted. Nowhere else in the US that we have lived or visited ever had such a restriction. I also guess places in Cottonwood/Salt lake County are much more lax on their enforcement of said law.

The Porcupine, Hogs Wallow, Beer Hive and O'Shucks are all frequent places for us that have never said a thing when doing this exact thing.
It has actually happened to me at Porcupine before. Though it was about 4 years ago, so perhaps they have decided to loosen up or have become "lax" in their own enforcement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,770 posts, read 1,750,189 times
Reputation: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's an exaggeration to say that "most Mormons" in Utah are either inactive or non-believing, but the 51% definitely does include those who no longer consider themselves to be Mormon.
Not really. The ward boundaries that claim me claim roughly 550 people. I've been to church a couple times with my wife and when I count there are generally 180-220 people in sacrament meeting. I would classify this as "most" being inactive or no longer interested in the LDS church. But don't take my word for it, go to Google and type in "LDS Church activity rate." You'll find that the common accepted percentage is 30-40%. In some South American countries, like Chile, it'll be more like 5-10%. So I stand by my claim that most Mormons, outside of LDS strongholds, are inactive or non-believing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
so for this metric would you identify as in or out? Not sure if the metric is measuring heritage or participation?
I would identify myself as non-religious, but the LDS church will count me on their rolls until I die or turn about 110 (the age at which they remove people from rolls unless the church is informed of your death). They count anyone who is born to two temple "sealed" parents, baptized at 8 or baptized as an adult. They continue counting you unless you go through the process of mailing church HQ, requesting your name as removed from their rolls and attending the necessary interviews to determine these are your actual wishes.

I have not done this, therefore I would be included as part of the 51% in this statistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Not really. The ward boundaries that claim me claim roughly 550 people. I've been to church a couple times with my wife and when I count there are generally 180-220 people in sacrament meeting. I would classify this as "most" being inactive or no longer interested in the LDS church. But don't take my word for it, go to Google and type in "LDS Church activity rate."
The fact remains that tghe number of people in Sacrament Meeting on a given Sunday isn't really a very accurte predicter of whether or not a person would, of his own accord, identify as Mormon, if asked his religion. I believe in essentially all of the Church's core doctrines and yet, if I weren't married to someone who really enjoys going to church of Sunday, I would likely stay home most of the time. If someone wanted to know whether I was a Mormon or not, I'd definitely say "yes" even if I hadn't been to church in weeks. So activity rate can be misleading -- for Mormons or anyone else, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,770 posts, read 1,750,189 times
Reputation: 3468
So ... I feel like basically what I just read is that activity rate is not a good indicator of activity. Okay, cool. Haha, no, I'm just being ignorant with that one, I get what you're saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
So ... I feel like basically what I just read is that activity rate is not a good indicator of activity.
Activity rate is an excellent indicator of activity. It's just not a particularly good indicator of how a person self-defines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top