U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:30 PM

3,932 posts, read 3,213,272 times

Advertisements

My husband and I went to Moab last summer and had an amazing time. We are considering going back and taking our children (Ages 7 and 4) for our Spring Break, which is the week of March 30th-April 3rd. Appreciate your opinions on the following:

1. What is the weather like there at that time of year? I googled it, and it seems pretty decent, not too cold for daytime highs.

2. Do you think there is enough to do to hold the interest of a 7 and 4 year old girl? I know they can do some of the shorter (under 1 mile) hikes in Arches, so we will definitely go there. What about in town? Any suggestions?

3. Can we do any rafting at that time of year?

I love the idea of going back there with the kids, I am just not sure they are old enough yet.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:35 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,187,323 times
Weather can really change fast in the Spring in Moab. I go there for a motorcycle event every year mid-April and had nighttime freezing temps (and snow on my tent) two years ago. But, the daytime highs are very pleasant. Other than big events (like the Jeep Safari) it's still not tourist season that time of year so you can easily get around to see things.

I can't comment on the other issues. I'm into the 4x4 and motorcycle stuff in Moab and, if you're not into that, it would not be very useful to hear about.

Bill

Old 12-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Thanks. I'm from Denver, so the temps are no issue in UT. Will keep my fingers crossed that I-70 will be free and clear of snow, but no way to predict that time of year. The hotel got back to me and said they have rafting and horseback rides they can arrange, so I think we are going to do it. Not flying to a beach resort (other option we are considering) will save us tons of $$.

When we were there in July, we did the Shaeffer trail in our Chevy Avalanche. I thought my husband (who is a very cool customer) was going to have a heart attack. Needless to say, that will never be on the itinerary again

Old 12-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
...we did the Shaeffer trail in our Chevy Avalanche...
Cool. The Shafer Trail has incredible views of the Colorado river.

Bill

Old 12-07-2014, 07:21 PM

9,473 posts, read 5,866,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Cool. The Shafer Trail has incredible views of the Colorado river.

Bill
Wow, I lived in southern Utah for 5 years and I had never heard of it. That's now on my list of "don't miss" places to go. The pictures in Google are awesome.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:58 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,240,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Thanks. I'm from Denver, so the temps are no issue in UT. Will keep my fingers crossed that I-70 will be free and clear of snow, but no way to predict that time of year. The hotel got back to me and said they have rafting and horseback rides they can arrange, so I think we are going to do it. Not flying to a beach resort (other option we are considering) will save us tons of $$.

When we were there in July, we did the Shaeffer trail in our Chevy Avalanche. I thought my husband (who is a very cool customer) was going to have a heart attack. Needless to say, that will never be on the itinerary again
Shafer trail is one of my favorites. Did it once or twice a year, for the six years I lived there. Entered via the Potash trail, past fossil point (where Thelma and Louise was partially filmed), went up Shafer, then over to Long Canyon and and down. Some years, reversed the trip, and once every few years, did the Shafer to the White Rim, then up Mineral Bottom Road to 313.

Now to the original question. That's Jeep Safari week! So expect VERY large crowds. Easter Safari (aka Jeep week) is the week before Easter Sunday and Moab is PACKED.

Most BLM organized and private campgrounds are full, hotels/motels charge a lot more that week than they would the week before. However, since they charge so much, they sometimes have vacancies during that week and are happy to let the rooms go for less $$.However, you are gambling. Most will say get reservations....

National Parks are not that bad since the Jeepers, except for normal tourist stuff stay away from the parks. (They cannot off-road in most areas of Arches...a few off-road trails off the beaten path or Canyonlands...except for White Rim trail and Shafer).

Plenty of short hikes in the Moab area, other than in the parks. Take the kids to see Corona Arch, one of the best arches in Moab and it is NOT in Arches NP. Off a paved hwy (279 aka Potash Road) just across from Gold Bar Campgrounds.

Or a fun easy off-road to Pritchett Arch. Enter via back of the rocks area south of Moab and you will drive by Picture Frame Arch...
. Park the vehicle and it is an exact 1 mile walk around the formation that encompasses Picture Frame Arch.

Then travel on a bit further; road gets a bit nastier, and you actually enter the back part of Pritchett canyon and then a short hike will take you to Pritchett arch. (Note do NOT drive on Pritchett trail past the arch; you won't go far. Pritchett trail, coming in from the other side from Kane Creek is one of the most difficult trails in Moab and is designed for a rock crawler or highly modified off-road vehicle. Coming in from the back is no problem for an Avalanche with 4x4.

Or if Moab is too busy, go south to Monticello. A nice little town, not as busy, a bit cooler due to being higher, but plenty of great places to see and visit. And from Monticello a day trip to Monument Valley is not out of the question, and on the way to Monument Valley you pass Valley of the Gods (just south of Bluff UT).

If into rock art, just north of Monticello is Newspaper Rock (off hwy 211 that leads into Canyonlands Needles district). Hatch point area just past hwy 211, off 191 takes you to the Needles overlook and better yet, the Anticline overlook.

So is there a lot to do there for kids to see...yes.

For the six years I lived there the weather was usually ok; one year April was very wet.

You can raft year around on the CO and Green rivers; however, at that time of the year, depending on Colorado Rocky mtn snow melt, it can get a bit dangerous for inexperienced rafters. But some rafting companies will be open and they have daily runs down the CO from Dewey Bridge to Takeout beach and other short trips too.
The green river has a lot less rapids and is great for a leisurely float down a river with some fantastic scenery.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:12 PM

Wow, f5fstop - great pics. Makes me want to go back down there pronto. Heck, it's only a 4-hour drive from SLC to Moab.

You described what goes on during the Jeep Safari well. Frankly, I avoid it - too many people for me. If I want to be in that region anywhere around the Safari I go a bit further down to Mexican Hat and camp out in the nearby Goosenecks.

Bill

Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,240,032 times
Thanks. You must be south of SLC or have one heck of a lead foot. Usually took me around 4.5 to make it to SLC area, but it was usually a nice ride, considering Hwy 6 can be a pain in the rear at times.

Lots of great camping down by the goosenecks, Valley of the Gods has tons of dispersed campsites to pitch a tent in and it is all BLM controlled so there are no problems. If ever looking for an organized campground, just south of Bluff is Sand Island. Nice campground and some rock art if you are into that sort of thing.

And if you want a nice desert trip, on a decent short trail, take a run over to Riverhouse on the San Juan River. Hard to find, not marked very well, so just PM me and I'll send out the GPS coordinates.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Hard to find, not marked very well, so just PM me and I'll send out the GPS coordinates.
That's kind of you to offer and I appreciate it. I'm good. The BLM offices in SLC provided me with excellent detailed maps of the area and I use those.

Bill

Old 12-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Hi guys,

OP here. Thanks for the wonderful feedback and detailed info f5fstop. We did indeed to decide to table our trip because of Jeep Week. The only time we can go is the Denver Public School's Spring Break, and that is right in the middle of Jeep Week. We just don't like crowds and don't want to deal with it, so we are thinking maybe another time in early Summer.

My husband did suggest maybe someplace farther South, but it looks like some of the other big parks like Monument Valley, Bryce/Zion etc are a good 8 hour drive, and that is farther than we want to go.

But, we will definitely consider the suggestions above. Monticello might be do-able. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or