U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM
1 posts, read 2,365 times
Reputation: 11


I live in an apartment complex and the contract states any car without a parking pass or any unregistered car will be towed. I registered my vehicle before the registration had expired, however my stickers to put on my plate were mailed to the wrong address and had to be redelivered. I woke up to my car in the process of being towed for what they said my car being unregistered. I was able to provide paperwork showing my car indeed was registered 3 weeks prior to the expiration date and they still towed my car and charged me $125. Is this right? What are my best options here to get my money back?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Location: Idaho
2,512 posts, read 2,239,011 times
Reputation: 5256
Civil matter; get an attorney.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Location: Salt Lake City/Las Vegas
1,587 posts, read 2,186,752 times
Reputation: 1857
Having dealt with these situations when I was a cop, frankly, it does not look good. There are few options available. All local and state laws heavily favor the tow companies and the property owners of the parking. In this matter, you're literally guilty until proven innocent.

I think your best bet is to access whatever appeal process your city/county has. But, if a private party, like an HOA or apartment manager, called for the tow - this won't work - that'd have to be a small claims process.

I wish I had better news and more options. It's a very frustrating process for people who've had vehicles towed. These things rarely go well for the tow-ee.

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Location: Roy
6 posts, read 5,736 times
Reputation: 11
To recover the $110.00 you would need to pay $60 for a court filing fee, pay a constable to serve the affidavit, and if you were to prevail in small claims court, you may be able to recoup your costs. Sometimes the best thing to do is social media, the news media, Utah Consumer Protection Agency. However, if your landlord participates in the Good LandLord Program, that is an option. It was in your contract, but if you can prove that, at no fault of your own, the decals were sent to the wrong address then you can file a complaint to at least get some type of explanation.

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top