U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 18,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Wasn't there recently a hermit who lived on public land somewhere in utah for like 7 years? I believe he got caught because he was breaking into cabins being very destructive...

Yup I had to google it Squaring The Legend of Troy James Knapp, Utah's Mountain Man | Media | OutsideOnline.com
He didn't ask for any permits . Anyways if you plan on tenting and backpacking it and staying mobile and away from developed campgrounds, it's likely you won't get hassled too much. But you're going to need food and water sooner than not. Good luck .
I should learn a thing or two from him! Haha, minus the looting other people.

I will travel to town for food and spring water tho. I'm trying to improve and heal my life rather than put it at risk
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,849,846 times
There have been a few squaters in and around the Moab area for years. In fact, last year there was a mule in Mill Creek canyon...
Mule roaming Mill Creek - Moab Sun News: News

I may call the BLM and ask them what ever became of Blackie....

Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 AM

936 posts, read 1,954,644 times
I'm not sure of the cultural aspects of it, but you could at least ask around in Indian owned territory if you could work something out. There's tremendous poverty in many of those areas and perhaps it could be mutually benefical for you and a native landowner to work something financial out.

FWIW, isn't a radioactive cleanup site somewhere near Blanding or somewhere north? Just a heads up if you plan on camping in different areas and don't want to be exposed to any other bad environmental factors.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 AM

12 posts, read 18,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
I'm not sure of the cultural aspects of it, but you could at least ask around in Indian owned territory if you could work something out. There's tremendous poverty in many of those areas and perhaps it could be mutually benefical for you and a native landowner to work something financial out.

FWIW, isn't a radioactive cleanup site somewhere near Blanding or somewhere north? Just a heads up if you plan on camping in different areas and don't want to be exposed to any other bad environmental factors.
Damn! Yes all toxins are a factor so radioactive radiation would definitely be bad. I'm going to look into it.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 AM

Do you mean this

That's the UMTRA (Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action) site, located directly south of Moab off Hwy 191.
Hwy 191 is the main highway to the left (and Arches NP is to the left of Hwy 191), the CO river is just to the north, and that road on the bottom is called the Potash Road (aks SR 279).

However, that entire area from the bookcliffs south through Moab, Monticello, White Canyon, Monument Valley (basically Grand and San Juan Counties) is loaded with uranium. That is what grew Moab in the beginning, uranium mines, that's why the tailings project is in action now.

I believe, but not sure, the Pandora Mine in Lisbon Valley (San Juan County, south of Moab and Hwy 46, east of Hwy 191) is still open or has dropped to a closed but ready to open status and the Uranium mill in Blanding might also still be open.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 AM

The town of Monticello is heavily contaminated-

Monticello Radioactively Contaminated Properties | Region 8 | US EPA

and I think the mine sound of Blanding might still be active and various environmental groups have commented on the adverse effects of its operation.

There are reportedly hundreds of old mines in Navajo country too.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:55 AM

Could you define heavily contaminated?

But that could explain why the people of Monticello can be very strange (and strange is a nice word).

Never met anyone who lived in or near Monticello that I would trust .....

Old 02-08-2015, 12:02 PM

If you read the reports, there are somewhere near 400+ individual properties in town that were contaminated. That's a wide area, and I wouldn't trust living in a house that has been deemed not-contaminated while being surrounded by other there are.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM

I read the report, I saw 400 individual properties but also know it is 2.6 square miles in size. My questions was on the word "heavily." And knowing quite a few people who live in Monticello, this had been brought up quite a few times in conversation and most of that contamination is minimum, but yes, contaminated. In fact, know someone who grew up in Monticello and is first to admit he moved out, not due to any contamination, but because of the people.

So, are some sites heavily contaminated...probably. Is the entire city heavily contaminated...that I would not be too sure of. But, that is a discussion for another time and another thread. I don't believe the OP will be moving into a city due to his medical condition.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I don't believe the OP will be moving into a city due to his medical
condition.
That was my only point

I just thought that considering his medical issues, that these various environmental issues that are prevalent throughout the area might want to be something he considers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or