Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,391 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate our family to Utah so we can be closer to my husband who's working in the oil fields. I was looking at Roosevelt/Vernal so he wouldn't have much of a drive, but we're really liking the looks of Heber City. How's the drive from Roosevelt/Dechesne to Heber City in the winter? Which area do you think is best for young families? Do you have any other towns to suggest? We really like the foothills as it's more green and reminds us a little more of Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traglia_24 View Post
We're looking to relocate our family to Utah so we can be closer to my husband who's working in the oil fields. I was looking at Roosevelt/Vernal so he wouldn't have much of a drive, but we're really liking the looks of Heber City. How's the drive from Roosevelt/Dechesne to Heber City in the winter? Which area do you think is best for young families? Do you have any other towns to suggest? We really like the foothills as it's more green and reminds us a little more of Oregon.
I've made that drive in some pretty hairy weather before, for work (I also work in resources), it's not one I wish to make again. Heber is just too far from the oil fields to reasonably commute. Your husband would eventually be renting an apartment in the Basin. Duschene is a horrible little town with nothing to do where everyone is related. I'd suggest Roosevelt, Maeser or Vernal and of the three I prefer Vernal. It's the most developed.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
You seriously DO NOT want to drive Daniels Canyon or over the Strawberry summit area on a regular basis in the winter. Besides heber being too far away, the driving conditions can be horrible during the winter over those passes and canyons. I used to have to drive that highway semi-regularly. It's a beautiful drive when conditions are okay, but I cringe even thinking about the winter conditions I actually lived through driving (miraculously). I can't count the number of serious crashes I either witnessed or saw after the fact.

Not an advisable daily drive if you can avoid.

Duchesne is about as far away as I would want to be. And it is at least on the east side of the really high mountain passes and terrain. I've been through there many, many times. It's sort of a sleepy small town. If you don't need much in the way of outside entertainment and you don't need people around you to pamper you, you'd be okay there. I wouldn't mind living there if I had an income. People mind their own business there, for the most part.

Of all the options, I'd say Roosevelt (or one of the surrounding hamlets) would be the best. Decent small town. Has everything you'd ever need if you are not high-maintenance. Again, people in small towns tend to mind their own business, so if you do not need to be wooed, you should be fine. But if you expect people to flock around you or "embrace you," you won't get that.

Vernal is another option. It has grown a lot over the past 20 years. This wouldn't be too bad of a choice, but personally, I'd prefer Roosevelt. Vernal has gotten a bit "rough-and-tumble" for my tastes--although I haven't been there regularly for about 4 or 5 years, so maybe it's changed.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 30,855 times
Agreed go with Roosevelt. A few years ago Duchesne had a bog meth problem going on, not sure if it's still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: