Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,718,854 times

Advertisements

Thanks for clarifying Of course there are bad apples -- maybe I'm one I don’t think Utah is perfect at all. My concern is with people who are bent and determined to see collusions and conspiracies everywhere.

Check out this letter to the editor.
http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_4609279

What media outlet does not have the right to collect exit polls for voting? This guy’s letter borders on paranoia in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 12:35 PM

129 posts, read 514,585 times
thwrosdlton--that's just the point! Mormons are people, warts, flaws, perfections---just like everyone else. And none of us in the church think of ourselves as perfect. The problem here is that the posters who are so quick to point out flaws never mention the good, only the bad, and they do it in such a way, and so often, that a non-informed reader would think that ALL Mormons are hypocrites, or worse! Consequently, I've come to the conclusion that the aim of such posters is not to point out flaws but to denigrate a whole society, using the faults of a few to smear the whole. As I said in the beginning of this post, why on earth are these posters holding Mormons up to a higher standard than they do for anyone else--or for themselves? Interesting question---do you have the answer?

Old 11-08-2006, 05:39 PM

27 posts, read 95,032 times
Seems to me that Mormons are held to a higher standard AND they reach that bar on a consistent basis. I decided to move to Utah and one of the major reasons is that high standard. Look at the crime rate in any Mormon "majority" town and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Heck, I figure if I cannot get along with a few Mormons at least I'll live to tell about it. Pretty sure I cannot say that about certain groups here in South Carolina.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 PM

Topknot--me thinks you'd get along just fine in Utah

Old 11-09-2006, 04:00 AM

27 posts, read 95,032 times
LlasaLost: I'm moving to "Start a new Life". After many months of research, Utah rose to the top of the list on most of the things I consider "Life".

Now I just need to find a job, sell my current house and hope the price of homes in the Ogden area start to drop a little...or a lot just like is happening in a lot places in the US as we type. :-)

Old 11-10-2006, 07:24 PM

742 posts, read 1,319,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwrosdlton View Post
I didn't say the teens in the Halloween incidents were Mormons. In fact I personally assumed that they probably weren't, but who knows? I just posted links to the news stories as a counterpoint to your post.
This is hilarious, as it's the Mormons who assumed they were Mormons.

LlasaLost's messages and similar have convinced me that Utah, not being a free society, is no place for me. Thank goodness for this forum, and being able to find these things out in advance!

Can you imagine, if you moved there and your children were beat up by gangs, or your house burned down by the neighbors, someone will say "oh those weren't the good Mormons", or "well they did that because you weren't using good language."!

Let freedom ring.

By the way, this being a free country means every one of us who are honest citizens should be entitled to make our own personal decisions about where we live and when we wish to be there. It is disgusting that an organized group would so widely discriminate against others, and then try to defend and justify themselves for doing so.

Yes I would like to live in Utah, but in peace. Not being harassed all the time because I happen to have a different opinion, or because I have a brain and prefer to think for myself. When you are trying to paint others for profanity, uncleanliness, crime, dishonesty and so forth, be careful of the brush you are using.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 PM

coolcats----I just couldn't resist looking up the article you mentioned (the letter to the editor) from the Salt Lake Tribune---and pasting it here, as per the following:

Email Article
Inside information
Article Last Updated:11/06/2006 12:07:50 AM MST

So I "voted early" and was immediately approached by a clean-cut young man wearing a KSL/Dan Jones ID tag, asking if I would be willing to answer a few questions. I told him I would only lie to him so there was no need to pursue the questions.
My question is: What the hell is/are Dan Jones and, by extension the LDS Church (owner of KSL Radio and TV) doing acquiring data in advance of the election? Is it now a fact that Dan Jones and KSL have "inside information" a full week in advance of the actual ballots being counted? Certainly enough time for them to "marshal the troops" if needed to head off any "insurgency."

Barney Bettilyon
Salt Lake City

The above replica of the e-mail will undoubtedly reinforce the views of certain posters--who will remain nameless--in their paranoid views. However, what's really funny/sad in regard to the copied e-mail is that everywhere we've ever lived we have had newspeople and/or political-party workers just outside the doors of the polling places, asking voters how they voted, and why! In fact, the only place I've ever not seen such 'information gatherers' was this past Tuesday when we voted for the first time in Utah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah