Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 PM

51 posts, read 219,389 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I don't care about LDS/non-LDS population here. I'm concerned with academics.

If you had a choice, which one would you choose?

Pleasant Grove HS
Lehi HS
American Fork HS

Have I forgotten one within 30 minutes of Micron?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 04:53 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,672 times
You might consider some of the schools in the Granite or Jordan districts, as well as the Orem or Provo schools, which could be within your 30 minute limit. My kids are not of that age, so I don't know much about high schools yet.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:59 PM

Thanks. Maybe a better question is-are there any high schools with really bad reputations for poor academics, drugs, gangs, etc.?

I really don't think anything is going to be worse than where we are coming from, but I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't at least check into it!
Thanks!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM

West High and Granger High in Salt Lake Valley have the worst reputations I know of. Those are probably out of your commuting range anyway. Don't know about Utah Valley.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks. Salt Lake isn't an option for us anyway. We're small town people;get claustrophobic in the city!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 AM

Well just so you know -- the whole area around Lehi is booming. I wouldn't consider it a small town.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks. There is a horse property near Spanish Fork that we're going to look at when we get there. Any input on that area?

Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 PM

I work with a guy who commutes to downtown SLC from Payson, which is adjacent to Spanish Fork. He likes it there so much that he is willing to drive 60 miles one way to stay at his out. He is always complaining about the traffic though, which seems bad down there from what I hear on the radio. Other than that, I am not too familiar with that area.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,930 times
Pleasant Grove and American Fork high schools both have good reputations. American Fork has one of the best marching bands in the state, if that's your thing. Excellent music program. There is also Lone Peak High School, in Highland (takes some kids from Highland, Cedar Hills, Alpine, and I think some from American Fork). It's a very good school. I don't know much about Lehi HS. In the past it's been known as the small town cowboy school, but Lehi has exploded since then, and I suspect the school is just as good as any other in the area. I will say one thing, if you're thinking of looking south around Spanish Fork: I have heard a lot of bad things (drugs being a main one) about Springville HS, both from my nieces/nephews who went there, and from my neighbor who used to teach there. I'm sure it has its good and bad like anywhere else, but I'd be a little wary of Springville for that reason. I don't know about Spanish Fork HS. If you're in the Orem/Provo area, Timpanogos and Timpview are both excellent schools. Mountain View and Orem high schools are a mixed bag. Provo HS has lots of problems, not the least of them being gangs. But it also turns out some good kids, so take all this with a grain of salt.

The drive from Spanish Fork could be yucky, since one of the most congested stretches of freeway in the entire state is a stretch of I-15 that you would be traveling to get to Lehi for work. But Spanish also has slightly better housing prices, and still has a bit of a rural feel, which sounds like something you'd like. It's growing a lot, but it's still somewhat untouched.

If I had to choose a high school...well I did choose one. I chose Lone Peak, because it's a good school and the house we found was in its boundaries. But I would have been equally happy with Pleasant Grove or American Fork.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 PM

212 posts, read 791,371 times
I grew up outside of Payson at the base of the mountain, on 5 acres. It was nice to not have neighbors in your back yard. It was very quite too. We had deer that would come down every night and graze in our yard.

Spanish Fork is about 15 minutes north of Payson. Spanis Fork is very windy because it is at the bottom of the canyon. Living at that end of the valley you just get used to commuting. The commute time to Lehi would be about 30 minutes non-rush hr and about an hour at rush hour, give or take. Outside of the neighborhoods, on horse property, it can feel very rural. If you can handle the commute that go for it. I think Spanish Fork HS is OK, but I havn't been around for a while to know what is going on and the extent of the drug problem another poster mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: