Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I agree. And if in the Moab area, do Arches arches and Canyonlands.
And it's odd that Capitol Reef is simply missing, not just in this thread, but in the minds of most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Yes, and it is most likely my favorite, but you really need a good clearance (and depending on time of the year a good 4x4) to really appreciate the park. Ranger at the park one time told me, a wild guess would say only 1 percent of the visitors actually see the best parts of the park. The other 99 percent travel up and down Hwy 24, or the short road from the Ranger station into the center of the park.

Can't see the Bentonite Hills without going deep into the park...

Carl's Reservoir (I can only guess it has water in the rainy season)

Glass mountain.... selenite crystals

Dirt trails to nowhere...

And camping with the mountain lions/coyotes and Kitt foxes...

Other problem it is between the other four and about 3 hours from Arches and I believe 2 from Bryce. Just like in the Moab area, how many people have ever visiting Natural Bridges (NM) or Hovenweep, both part of the Canyonlands district area.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Other problem it is between the other four and about 3 hours from Arches and I believe 2 from Bryce. Just like in the Moab area, how many people have ever visiting Natural Bridges (NM) or Hovenweep, both part of the Canyonlands district area.
I visited the area for the first time a couple of years ago. This was a feeler trip and since the wife isn't an outdoors person really, we didn't do much camping or hiking. For our few days in Moab, we went south to Four Corners then drove to Monument Valley, Goosenecks SP, and Natural Bridges. Even leaving Moab somewhat earlier in the day, we still ran out of time to check out the Needles District and Hovenweep. The next day I left early and hiked the three shortest hikes in the Needles. Later in the day we did Arches and Island-in-the-Sky. Out of that area, I really enjoyed the Needles more than anything else. I'm not a huge fan of exposed area, like forested areas more so. I actually wouldn't mind revisiting the area mostly to see Natural Bridges and/or Monument Valley at night.

The next day we planned on driving UT 12 through and eventually hit Kanab. We stopped at Capitol Reef, but for me, visually is was just the same as Arches just without the arches. I enjoyed the homestead where you can get a mini homemade pie and ice cream, but driving the road back into the park was a complete waste. Snow forced me to turn around up high in the mountains so we lost a lot of time on back highway/forest roads. Eventually got to Bryce in the early evening and it was too cold to do some hiking (winter clothing was packed away). Plan on going back soon with more of a hiking focus on Bryce and Zion.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 PM

88 posts, read 88,058 times
The one time I went to Capitol Reef, I came in from the south after spending a day-plus in Grand Staircase-Escalante. Wish I had had more time for the Reef, but the time I did was quite worth it.

Per f5, yes, there's lots to see in the Canyonlands if you get out and do it. I've not yet been to the Maze — never had a vehicle to take there — nor to Canyon of the Ancients, where Ralston had his accident. But, been all over both Needles and Island in the Sky districts with my two legs.

Best hike in Arches was after dark ... the nighttime trek to Delicate on a night with a near-full moon on the rise. Oh, and for those posting photos ... if you have an ultrawide lens and get BELOW Delicate on the unexplored side:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/435772...7627216626148/

Old 09-29-2016, 10:17 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
I had been to Capitol Reef a couple of times before this year, but my husband (also a native Utahn) never had. We went this year for four days and he said it was his favorite of all the national parks in Utah. (He hasn't been to Canyonlands, but has been to Bryce, Zion and Arches on a number of occasions.) I can recommend one absolutely incredible hike in Capitol Reef for anyone interested in heading down that way, either within the next couple of weeks or -- more likely -- next summer or fall. It's not even a hike that is listed in the guidebooks, but if you ask at the Visitors' Center, they can give you a map of it. It's called the Sulfur Creek Trail. You are actually hiking in the creek for much of the way. It's really, really worth it if you're in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah