U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 27,497 times
Default What is living in Kanab Utah like?

Hello,
We were considering moving to Kanab, Utah. Is it a deeply religious area?
How is the public school? What is the population? Just anything would help.
Thank You !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,220,512 times
i don't live in kanab, but have been through it a number of times.

why, you might ask? ok, you probably weren't about to ask that, but hey, i'm gonna answer it anyway.

i go through kanab on my way from one outdoor adventure to another. this might be the only way in which i can give you any advice, but kanab is prime real estate if you want to be really, really, really close to some of utah's best attractions: lake powell, zion, bryce, plenty of others. the grand canyon is just a jog over the border into arizona. beautiful country. i love the desert down there. mountain biking, hiking, canyoneering, spelunking, rock climbing. what's not to love?

someone else will have to help you out with the religion/resources debate though. sorry i couldn't be of more help.

aaron out.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 23,231 times
I don't live in Kanab either, but know a bit about the area. I have been there, and will be going back to the area to volunteer at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, which is 5 miles north of town. As Aaron said, it is a good place to live if you enjoy lots of outdoor activities. There's also lots of historical stuff in the area.

I don't know about the religion part, but I do think that a lot of spiritual people live there. Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is one of Kanab's largest Employers. Anybody who works there is very much into things like the "kindness revolution", building a better world through kindness to animals, green living, vegetarianism, etc.

Couldn't tell you about the schools, either.

Hope this was a little helpful.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:49 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,910,470 times
I've visited while volunteering at Best Friends, also.
Best Friends is one kind of spirituality, and I believe the town ("townies") is quite another. Kanab seems to be a very small Mormon-centered community, while Best Friends people seem to be almost all from all over the country, much more liberal, many gay people (women, at least). Now, Best Friends is the largest employer in Kane County, I think, and has contributed greatly to business activity in town. I don't know how much, if any, tension there is between the two communities.
There's a growing number of retirees living there, I think because of their ties and experiences with Best Friends.
To these Eastern eyes, there is not much within any kind of driving distance, in terms of shopping. I mean basic shopping. There are two pharmacies, without much selection, although very pleasant and helpful. The pharmacy advertised "drug testing kits" to test your kids for drug abuse, specifically including methamphetamine. I imagine, like so many rural areas, meth abuse is an issue.
Real estate has gotten expensive relative to the area, I think because of Best Friends and retirees (people bringing money in from elsewhere). Very minimal medical care. There's a 30-some bed hospital, and that includes the long-term care beds. One of the two primary care docs died last summer. I'd say the nearest source of more citified goods and services is St. George, which is about 1 1/2 hours away. With the cost of gas going ever-up, it is something to consider, as everything is most car-dependent, and leaving town would be expensive in gas money.
It is certainly located among some of the most beautiful high desert mountains and major national parks anywhere. It is breathtakingly beautiful.
It seems clear that one could only move there with a very clear job offer or a trust fund. It is one of the more remote places I've ever been to.
I ate at a Mexican restaurant in town, and was served by a young Polish college student, who was working the summer in Kanab. She said she hated it there and couldn't wait to get home. She said she'd only been to Kanab, no where else in the U.S. I tried to imagine how that must seem, as Kanab is hardly a typical American town- given that it's small, it's typical, but so remote.
I would live there, but not as an old person, worrying about medical car and car dependence. I would love to work at Best Friends, but I don't think they need another vet tech trainee with an aging bad back!
May I ask what draws you to consider living in Kanab?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 35,107 times
I lived in Kanab for two years and was a teacher at a public school during that time.

I would say yes, it is a religious community. Very close nit. I was so focused on my job that I didn't really meet very many people. It's been many years since I was there. About the scools, I would say they were fair. I don't know how they are now. I would say that if you choose to move there, you should support your kids in school and supplement their education. As a former teacher, that is my advice for someone living anywhere. Parents who are involved and who communicate with the teachers regularly make the biggest difference in their kids' lives.

Like another person said, shopping isn't much. We would drive to Cedar City or Saint George (about two hours either one) once per month for non-perishables.

Back in the early 1990's it seemed kind of depressed to me. The local saw mill had been closed because of environmental reasons, and lots of people were sad about that. The schools had to lay off teachers because so many people moved away.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 23,111 times
I lived in Kanab Utah for about 15 months and I hated it. I was a volunteer fireman and they fired me......NO ONE CARED about anything but their own family. From what I saw there was a LOT of inbreeding. My opinion of Kanab, Utah is that it is a waste of buildings and people!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:50 PM

26 posts, read 74,744 times
Default Kane County

I don't live in Kanab, but I do live in Kane County close to Lake Powell.

Kanab is predominantly LDS however, they are nice folks and good neighbors. As the city has grown so has the amount of people who are non-LDS. Anyone with children should be able to make friends quickly as the town is very family orientated.

The public schools in Kane County as a whole are wonderful and I think all of them met the AYP goals last year.

The population of Kane county currently is about 6000 people with more than half of them living in and around Kanab.

As everyone else has mentioned the access to the outdoors is awesome from this part of the country. Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, and the list goes on, are all within a short drive.

mod cut: link removed

I have information there on the Big Water School, but am working on adding all Kane schools and Page, Arizona schools.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-19-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 22,772 times
Default living in kanab utah

Hi My husband and I live in kanab utah just for the summer- He is orignally from here so I hope I can answer some of the questions out there.

What we have here(that i vew important): ace hardware, pizza hut, chevron another gas station i cant think of., 2 local grocery stores( prices are a bit high) a couple of really good mexican places, subway, tire place, dollar store, wendys, rewind( 50's place to eat) houstons( good place to eat but expensive) movie theater( plays one pretty recent movie a week -wed-sat 8) prices are excellent!!! dukes which is a clothing store is really expensive but have cute stuff. lots of hotels- junction which is a local burger joint that has lots of different things on the menu- printing shop, painting remodeling kind of shop, floral--a couple hair places a few nail places, real estate office, insurance offices, oh the adobe fitness center- when at first looks small townish- but since i have joined( very very reasonale rates(3 months for 70 bucks or so plus 1 hour of babysitting a day-included in cost has good equipment they just bought nice new treadmill) my husband like the schools here- had opportunity to try lots of different sports- very small town school stuff. new developments starting to pop up but further out so you really can't hear or see it happening.

3 things that i don't like are- all there is is a ace hardware- no walmart kind of place- my in law always travel to st. george 1 1/2 hours away- no big deal to them since they have lived here forever- an adjustment to me- but i have come to buy alot of things on internet so it works just fine for me.
2nd thing is to rent movies all they have is a radio shack or the grocery store- I like very much just using netflix- since the post office is very close and i can always get want i want and they are super fast.

No taco bell

lots of tourists come here all the time but esp. during the summer

Well I am from a larger area and i really like it here- lots of mormons but very friendly and kind.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 47,849 times
Default Cost of Living in Kanab

I, too, am thinking of moving to Kanab. I'm retired military and would love to get a job at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary but don't know how far my retirement pay would go comapred to here in San Antonio Texas. What is the housing market like (how much would a 3 bdrm, 2 bath, w/garage single detached house cost?)? Any idea how much Best Friends pays? I imagine gas is pretty outrageous?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 47,849 times
Default Cost of Living in Kanab

Sorry, that should be "compared" to San Antonio........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah