Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am going to call BS and say that for the lack of true perfection in climate, Utah is hands down a better option than Southern California.
But a better option for who. Everyone has certain needs or desires for a place to live.

When it comes to the requirements listed by the OP. He has specific needs and desires, and Utah does not meet them. It is better to tell someone the truth, based on his/her needs and desires than let them find out the hard way hiding the truth and let them move and then be forever sorry they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
I am going to call BS and say that for the lack of true perfection in climate, Utah is hands down a better option than Southern California. We do not need to go into the whys........
I am going to have to agree with old trader here. Did you even read to OP?

* not too much snow, probably southern Utah some place I would guess
- OK, sure southern Utah would fit this description.

* no drastically severe weather including heat, tornadoes, flooding, or blizzards
- well not so lucky here, southern Utah has high heat, and flooding concerns.

. pretty scenery, preferably mountains (not much into desert scenery unless it's gorgeous)
Well, if OP does not want desert scenery, and does not want to be in a snowy climate, s/he does not leave many (if any) options open in Utah.

. short summers (I can't take this Texas heat and humidity anymore).
Short summers, sure, if you are in central/northern Utah, but than you have the snowy, longer winters.

. prefer warm (not hot or humid) to cold (50 degrees all year round would suit me and to some that is very cold; no hotter than 80 degrees would also be grand) I know that is not to be found in Utah, but I'm kind of giving one the idea of what I consider cold and hot.
OP realizes this is a pie in the sky dream.

. low population and not apt to grow
Utah was recently ranked 5th in population growth, and is expected to continue to grow.

. clean small town nearby

. 3 to 5 acres with a modest home around $125,000
now, I don't know a TON about the real estate market in southern Utah, but I am guessing this would be close to impossible to find.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 AM

68 posts, read 172,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post

yes

48 inches in Cedar 256 days of sunshine snow usually gone under brilliant sun in a day

* no drastically severe weather including heat, tornadoes, flooding, or blizzards

high heat around st george cedar rarely sees 100 even s ca can be 100 under a santa ana wind in late summer/fall

Uh, do not build in a wash or drive around in torrential rain? Oh, and when NOAA calls for a blizzard on occasion, don't go shopping in St. George unless you plan on staying the night where it will be rain instead......

. pretty scenery, preferably mountains (not much into desert scenery unless it's gorgeous)
Well, if OP does not want desert scenery, and does not want to be in a snowy climate, s/he does not leave many (if any) options open in Utah.

the mtns are right there you can be in aspens in 15 minutes the red rock is mixed into the mtns

Short summers, sure, if you are in central/northern Utah, but than you have the snowy, longer winters.

it will nice and warm for several weeks in cedar night and day difference from st george

. prefer warm (not hot or humid) to cold (50 degrees all year round would suit me and to some that is very cold; no hotter than 80 degrees would also be grand) I know that is not to be found in Utah, but I'm kind of giving one the idea of what I consider cold and hot.

highs in the mid 80's and winters with sunny skies around 40 feels pretty nice

Utah was recently ranked 5th in population growth, and is expected to continue to grow.

Okay, move to CA There will be less people there HAHAHAHA

now, I don't know a TON about the real estate market in southern Utah, but I am guessing this would be close to impossible to find.
Again, not finding this in CA either. Better move to Western Kansas then

The reality is that Utah is kind of weird, but he seemed set on it. He is from TX, he doesn't want to live in the land of fruits and nuts. The reality is that finding an affordable place with balmy temps, mtns, and some amenities isn't easy......

Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:

I agree too. Once in a while, you get someone who simply has unrealistic expectations about a place. There is a great deal to recommend Utah, but some of the criteria the OP seeks, seem unrealistic to be polite.

The St. George area is about the only area in Utah that doesn't get "too much snow", by many standards. Unfortunately, the price that has to be paid for that are hot summers that are about on par with summers in Las Vegas. This week temperatures in St. George are hitting 113 degrees. Utah is the second most arid state in this country (next to Nevada) and as a result, much of it is desert. The Wasatch Front is only green because of extensive efforts involved in irrigation that have occurred since the Mormons arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. Summers here are not what I would call short. If the OP wants "short summers" he could live in Anchorage, Alaska, but than he would have to contend with long cold winters which he does not want. Fifty degree temperatures--year round--are not obtainable anywhere in the state, including St. George. Expecting a home for $125,000 is simply unreasonable in Utah. It wasn't available even during the last few years when property values dropped substantially.

What this poster wants is not available in Utah. I question if its available anywhere in the USA.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
IExpecting a home for $125,000 is simply unreasonable in Utah. It wasn't available even during the last few years when property values dropped substantially.

What this poster wants is not available in Utah. I question if its available anywhere in the USA.
He. I had to laugh about the $125,000 home WITH 3-5 acres of land.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM

224 posts, read 640,036 times
<<He. I had to laugh about the $125,000 home WITH 3-5 acres of land.>>
With only a 5 minute search I was able to find one for sale right now. I would have posted the link to it except for the fact that this is a 5 year old thread. You just have to know where to look and not be too picky about what kind of house it is.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM

38 posts, read 50,316 times
a really nice college town with beautiful surroundings, minutes from forests and lakes and rolling hillls, very artsy with about 24000 people is moscow idaho. home of university of idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah