Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are celebrating our 5 yr. wedding anniversary in May, and thought that it would be cool to go to Lake Powell/Southern UT for a week. I'm having trouble finding any lodging that isn't a houseboat (which are crazy expensive).

Does anyone know if there are cabins/houses for rent in that area? We've been to Moab before and love Southern Utah, but we camped when we stayed there. We like camping, but thougt we'd get fancy for our anniversary and have things like a shower and a kitchen.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
We were just out there last week on a day trip, there are hotels and motels near the marina...also in Page, AZ the closest town...It's hot there in May! But it is beautiful

Old 01-22-2008, 04:07 PM

242 posts, read 1,117,003 times
The lodge on the lake is called Wah Weap. It is the only one on the lake proper near page. Plenty of motels from Best Westerns to Comfort Inn. Just google the chamber of commerce for Page AZ and you will get plenty of info.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 AM

97 posts, read 220,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
My husband and I are celebrating our 5 yr. wedding anniversary in May, and thought that it would be cool to go to Lake Powell/Southern UT for a week. I'm having trouble finding any lodging that isn't a houseboat (which are crazy expensive).
Been to Lake Powell many times. Spent time ON the water while there.

There are 'package' deals where you would get a boat a couple days and lodging.

FISHING is what most people go there for.
Not sure what you would do for a week, sightseeing, hiking?

Maybe some of the National Parks (7 of em!) would be time better spent.

You could do what we do...camp a couple of days, then a room, etc.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM

We're debating b/t Sedona or So. UT. We were hoping to get a cabin or house to rent, but it doesn't look like I'll have any luck finding that in this area. We do a lot of hiking, and a little 4 wheeling. I thought that would be a pretty neat area to stay. Guess we'll have to do that as a camping trip instead. My hubby's a vegan, so needless to say he's not much for fishing.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 AM

398 posts, read 818,914 times
I have to agree that a week at Lake Powell without being on the lake could become tedious. What makes Lake Powell grand is the lake. The water will still be chilly in May. Having owned a houseboat at Lake Powell, this I know well! Page is a small town that mostly caters to people going out on the lake. Most of the motels do not even have a view of the lake.
Consider this: If you were to stay at the south rim of the Grand Canyon you could see and experience that wonder. It is only about one hour to Lake Powell from there. Take a full day there and go on the cruise to Rainbow Bridge. It is also about one hour to the north rim of the Grand Canyon from Page. The north rim will be open, but will most likely still have snow at 9,000 feet elevation. Beautiful to see and not crowded. It would take you about 2 hours to get there from the south rim. Then spend another day visiting the Navajo Reservation. First stop would be Cameron trading post for some great history and to view some of the best Indian art work. Also the beginning of the Little Colorado that creates a deep gorge on its way to the Grand Canyon. Stop and see the dinosaur tracks on the way to Tuba City, visit Grey Hills trading post in Tuba, take a right and go on to the Hopi Reservation. Stop and have lunch on second mesa. Lots of beautiful scenery and incredible art work is done by both tribes. Maybe another day in Flagstaff. Visit the Museum of Northern Az which will help you understand everything else you have seen. Go to the San Francisco peaks and take a ride on the lift for an awesome view. Dont forget to stop at Wapatki, ancient ruins of the Anasazi.
Have fun!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:26 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
The north rim will be open, but will most likely still have snow at 9,000 feet elevation. Beautiful to see and not crowded.
Make sure you check to make sure the road is open to the North Rim. I know from experience that in May the road can still be snowed in. Of course, they let you drive about 70 miles before you see a sign telling you that

Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

My sister lives in Tooele, and a few years ago we went camping for a week in Canyonlands and Arches. I gotta tell you, I really like your state. It's beautiful, people seem friendly, your air's clean, etc...

Just a little pat on the back for ya! But keep the advice coming.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM

77 posts, read 434,500 times
Zion is beautiful, great for hiking, and has camping...There are also motels and lodges near by...It's only a couple of hours from Lake Powell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah