U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 PM

20 posts, read 63,082 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if any speed limits are actually enforced in Utah. Every time I visit the state I usually try to drive with the overall traffic flow on the interstate. This is usually around 85 mph even though the actual speed limit is 75 and there are a few cars doing close to 100. When driving north to Idaho I'm ALWAYS being passed by dozens if not hundreds of Utah drivers doing 10-20 mph over the speed limit. I rarely see cops pulling over anyone in Utah for speeding so this may explain it. What's the deal? Is there an unwritten "reasonable and prudent" speed limit like Montana used to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,667,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke777 View Post
I'm just curious if any speed limits are actually enforced in Utah. Every time I visit the state I usually try to drive with the overall traffic flow on the interstate. This is usually around 85 mph even though the actual speed limit is 75 and there are a few cars doing close to 100. When driving north to Idaho I'm ALWAYS being passed by dozens if not hundreds of Utah drivers doing 10-20 mph over the speed limit. I rarely see cops pulling over anyone in Utah for speeding so this may explain it. What's the deal? Is there an unwritten "reasonable and prudent" speed limit like Montana used to have?
You bet they are. I have contributed to the Helper municipal budget and the Wellsville municipal budget in the last two years

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,108,325 times
hehe. I get a little nervous when driving through the construction zones near Ogden with a posted speed limit of 50 and people go FLYING by us.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 PM

8,538 posts, read 6,503,799 times
Yeah, watch your speed...no need to go that fast....

Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM

46 posts, read 155,384 times
It depends on the officer, rookies will pull you over for as little as 5 miles over but veterans probably won't unless you are over ten. It also depends on your driving behavior, are you weaving through traffic to maintain your speed, are you flashing your lights to get others to move out of your way, is there some obviously unsafe reason to pull you over? Most officers realize that speed in and of itself is not necissarily unsafe, granted it causes the damages in an accident to be greater but most cars now days have the suspention and stability to safely operate well into the 80's and 90's.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2timex View Post
It depends on the officer, rookies will pull you over for as little as 5 miles over but veterans probably won't unless you are over ten.
Interesting comment, John, I donít have any law enforcement experience in Utah, but I never noticed any such tendency in California during my 35-year career. Five miles an hour is considered the normal speedometer error rate by the courts in my old state; therefore, a five mile an hour ticket would be thrown out. I assume you are in law enforcement in Utah and have a different experience or have somehow gained a sufficient sampling of officer behaviors to be able to understand the differences between rookie and veteran traffic enforcement patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2timex;2677824 Most officers realize that speed is not [necessarily
unsafe [.]
This too, is an interesting comment. I agree that speed is not necessarily unsafe; however, speed differential between solid objects, whether stationary or moving, is very unsafe. Next, speed affects reaction, breaking, and maneuvering times; all of which affect the ability to avoid a collision. Finally, speeds, at least in California, are established through engineering standards and it is most difficult to rationally justify exceeding those limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2timex;2677824 most cars [today
have the [suspension] and stability to safely operate well into the 80's and 90's.
OK, but does the driver have the ability to drive at such speeds? Is the road engineered for such speeds? Do the traffic conditions justify such speeds? As I stated, speed limits are established by engineers, who take into account much more than any one particular vehicle or driverís capabilities. When on public roads, one must adhere to the public average, and that average is the speed limit.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
You bet they are. I have contributed to the Helper municipal budget and the Wellsville municipal budget in the last two years
You must have stirred the Helper officer from his slumber. They can be somewhat grouchy when they first wake up.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM

8,095 posts, read 15,945,973 times
I have driven all over the Rocky Mountain West. When I lived in Wyoming (which, by the way, contrary to popular belief, has a low tolerance for speeding), the most common speeding offenders were--in order--Colorado cars, Utah cars, and Idaho cars. In Utah, I would see plenty of cars pulled over getting speeding citations.

If you don't want a citation, DON'T SPEED. As for all that suspension/stability BS, some cars may have it, but the other cars on the road may not. And any highway safety expert will tell you that one of the biggest causes of accidents is speed differentials between vehicles on the road--that's why driving too fast OR too slowly creates a road hazard.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 AM

8,538 posts, read 6,503,799 times
Not to mention WEAR YOUR SEATBELT...there are a ton of rollover accidents between cedar city and st. george...part of the road is tricky and there are no guard rails anywhere (area there guardrails anywhere in Utah btw?)...Speed, inattention, etc...all contribute to these rollovers..most of the people who do survive these seem to be the ones wearing seatbelts. Sorry, fact. Coming here from CA, I am just shocked at what I see..and mom's put your kids in car seats and booster seats...I am tired of seeing these mini vans and suv's with kids crawling all over the place. I thought there was a law against that. I would never drive out of my garage without a seat belt on and when my boys were young, the wheels did not move unless they were belted in. I could never have forgiven myself if something happened, but if they were belted in, well then I did all I could. As you can see its a tender issue with me...

Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,485,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I have driven all over the Rocky Mountain West. When I lived in Wyoming (which, by the way, contrary to popular belief, has a low tolerance for speeding), the most common speeding offenders were--in order--Colorado cars, Utah cars, and Idaho cars. In Utah, I would see plenty of cars pulled over getting speeding citations.
I never noticed this trend with the Idaho folks, but as for Utah and Colorado, I would agree that it is very common to see these folks speeding, especially in their home states. (I've seen a lot of Colorado folks speeding south on I-25 through Wyoming, too, though).

Another poster mentioned the rollover accidents that happen between Cedar City and St. George. While I've never seen any of these incidents, I have seen many people speeding through that area. I drive regularly on I-15 from I-70 south, and am always surprised by the number of folks (mainly with Utah plates) that pass me at significantly higher speeds than what I am traveling (and I usually maintain the speed limit, or even just above that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah