Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:35 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

I lived in Utah 3 years and I lived in Ogden, Salt Lake City and Utah Valley.

I am not Mormon but I have to admit I far prefered the Utah Valley over Salt Lake City or Ogden as far as quality of life and I found the people far friendlier also.

I found Utah County far better for day to day living. I lived in American Fork and found the people far friendlier and customer service far better then in Salt Lake or Ogden. The people who I worked with were ALL friendly in Utah County. It was common for people to start a random conversation.

Salt Lake City while having lots of very interesting, exotic people due to the huge university population and population of young transplants in their 20s seems far more insular and pretentious. While Salt Lake City people seem very intelligent and attractive compared to a vast majority of cities, it is also an extremely pretentious city IMHO.

I also liked the fact that they do all they can to keep bad elements out of the Utah Valley. Its easier to live life without bad influences and elements in close proxmity. Salt Lake City is less then 30 minutes away and has the nightlife and wildness on the level thats about average for a city of its size.

I liked visiting Salt Lake City as it is a very interesting, even wild city for its size with alot of interesting people. Its a huge college town filled with lots of transplants from liberal cities. I however wouldn't want to live there as it has a massive drug and homeless problem for a city of it's size and statistically its far more dangerous then Los Angeles or Denver although I think that the crime statistics make Salt Lake worse then reality.

I rented a room in a house, but people get far nicer homes for far less in Utah County then they can in places like East Salt Lake City. It seems like the homes per square foot are less then half the cost in Eagle Mountain and Sarasota Springs then East Salt Lake.

The thing about Utah County is that anywhere you go most companies headquarters are going to be in a state with few mormons so its not like people discriminated against for the vast majority of jobs outside of the education sector and there is likely a hundred thousand or more non-LDS in the county.

I lived in Ogden also. I found the people there extremely unfriendly. It has a very huge illicit substance, poverty and crime problem for a city of just 80,000 people in one of the safest states in America. A majority of the city is in disrepair although they have some great historic architecture and huge homes from rock bottom prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I lived in Utah 3 years and I lived in Ogden, Salt Lake City and Utah Valley.

I am not Mormon but I have to admit I far prefered the Utah Valley over Salt Lake City or Ogden as far as quality of life and I found the people far friendlier also.

I found Utah County far better for day to day living. I lived in American Fork and found the people far friendlier and customer service far better then in Salt Lake or Ogden. The people who I worked with were ALL friendly in Utah County. It was common for people to start a random conversation.

Salt Lake City while having lots of very interesting, exotic people due to the huge university population and population of young transplants in their 20s seems far more insular and pretentious. While Salt Lake City people seem very intelligent and attractive compared to a vast majority of cities, it is also an extremely pretentious city IMHO.

I also liked the fact that they do all they can to keep bad elements out of the Utah Valley. Its easier to live life without bad influences and elements in close proxmity. Salt Lake City is less then 30 minutes away and has the nightlife and wildness on the level thats about average for a city of its size.

I liked visiting Salt Lake City as it is a very interesting, even wild city for its size with alot of interesting people. Its a huge college town filled with lots of transplants from liberal cities. I however wouldn't want to live there as it has a massive drug and homeless problem for a city of it's size and statistically its far more dangerous then Los Angeles or Denver although I think that the crime statistics make Salt Lake worse then reality.

I rented a room in a house, but people get far nicer homes for far less in Utah County then they can in places like East Salt Lake City. It seems like the homes per square foot are less then half the cost in Eagle Mountain and Sarasota Springs then East Salt Lake.

The thing about Utah County is that anywhere you go most companies headquarters are going to be in a state with few mormons so its not like people discriminated against for the vast majority of jobs outside of the education sector and there is likely a hundred thousand or more non-LDS in the county.

I lived in Ogden also. I found the people there extremely unfriendly. It has a very huge illicit substance, poverty and crime problem for a city of just 80,000 people in one of the safest states in America. A majority of the city is in disrepair although they have some great historic architecture and huge homes from rock bottom prices.
Wow! Well that just goes to prove the old saying, "Different strokes for different folks." I'm glad you're enjoying Utah County.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:09 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
No.

Back when I was Mormon, it felt fake, suburban-sprawly and it lacks anything resembling diversity or culture (though a lot of Utah-native RMs have opened up decent ethnic food restaurants in Downtown Provo, I'll give it that). It is exclusive, beyond reason, but not by income - rather by church status. There is a massive drug problem in Utah Valley, it's just pharmaceuticals instead of narcotics. I recently lived in WVC for 3 years and currently live about 5 miles outside of Detroit yet the only place I have ever had my property vandalized, was in Pleasant Grove, Utah. Someone tagged my car. (In fairness my roommate had his bicycle stolen from our garage in East Salt Lake once, but that wasn't me) Oh, and the whole BYU = life thing? Don't even get me started on that.

Now that I'm no longer Mormon, I actually have a worse opinion of the place.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:33 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
No. I lived 20+ years in each Utah & Salt Lake Counties. I MUCH prefer the open-minded people I've met in Salt Lake County. I still have several family members living in Utah County. They all like it there.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 PM

366 posts, read 432,726 times
I lived in Orem for 18 months. Me and my ex relocated there for his job...a project his company sent him to, and it was a nice place to live. It IS however very bland and conventional. Almost all restaurants and shops are corporate chains, there is a ton of family oriented businesses (Chuck E Cheese, water/amusement/trampoline parks), which is awesome if you have children...we however did not, as our children were grown and not living with us.

We were both non religious people who enjoyed a night out every now and again..not barflys though... and Utah county is sorely lacking in that area. I think there were exactly two "drinking establishments" and of course they were tightly controlled by the Utah's liquor laws, so we never went back.

As for any kind of "rough" neighborhood feel, bums/panhandlers roaming around...never saw it. And the outdoor activities were awesome.

However, as someone else pointed out....it had a strange "Pleasantville/Stepford" feel to it, which is not horrible, but it just wasn't for us.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Noooooooope. I avoid the place at all costs.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
I've lived in several areas of Utah: Logan, Salt Lake City, Utah Valley and St. George (as well as other states, I grew up in another state).
For raising a family, I think Utah Valley is best, though as a single, Salt Lake City might be best. Both have great outdoors hikes, etc., but UV just feels a bit more suburban, cleaner, safer.

It's true that it's very Mormon.
And although I was raised in the LDS church, I don't believe in many of the aspects.
I don't even believe in Jesus as Human Sacrifice Scapegoat (traditional Christianity).
There is no perfect place. If I lived where I grew up, I wouldn't have the overwhelming religious influence, yet I also would have to deal with drugs, gangs, etc. I'd rather the religious influence.

As a nonmormon, I'd recommend you keep firm boundaries.
It's fine if you want to go to activities (which I'm sure you have or will be invited to) but when people start to push doctrine, say you have your own beliefs, but appreciate the LDS people (or something like that).
I'd also suggest you find groups that will help you feel a sense of belonging. http://www.meetup.com/

Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 PM

34 posts, read 47,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I've lived in several areas of Utah: Logan, Salt Lake City, Utah Valley and St. George (as well as other states, I grew up in another state).
For raising a family, I think Utah Valley is best, though as a single, Salt Lake City might be best. Both have great outdoors hikes, etc., but UV just feels a bit more suburban, cleaner, safer.

It's true that it's very Mormon.
And although I was raised in the LDS church, I don't believe in many of the aspects.
I don't even believe in Jesus as Human Sacrifice Scapegoat (traditional Christianity).
There is no perfect place. If I lived where I grew up, I wouldn't have the overwhelming religious influence, yet I also would have to deal with drugs, gangs, etc. I'd rather the religious influence.

As a nonmormon, I'd recommend you keep firm boundaries.
It's fine if you want to go to activities (which I'm sure you have or will be invited to) but when people start to push doctrine, say you have your own beliefs, but appreciate the LDS people (or something like that).
I'd also suggest you find groups that will help you feel a sense of belonging. Find your people - Meetup
How was your experience with St. George? I'm interested in moving to UT, looking at St. George and SLC area. Reading pros and cons; I'm Atheist and a loner, but really into outdoor activities. According to city data the crime and unemployment is low, and job growth is high. Finding pet friendly rentals seems to be a challenge, maybe because of the heat in the summer, I don't know.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:03 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlayitdown View Post
How was your experience with St. George? I'm interested in moving to UT, looking at St. George and SLC area. Reading pros and cons; I'm Atheist and a loner, but really into outdoor activities. According to city data the crime and unemployment is low, and job growth is high. Finding pet friendly rentals seems to be a challenge, maybe because of the heat in the summer, I don't know.
Yes, it is very hot in the summer, so there's a bit of a migration - some people live there only in the winterish cooler half of the year.

I liked the area - because I love the outdoors - especially Zion - beautiful!
When I lived there, I was somewhat "active" Mormon - and the area had a lot of religious, though not everyone.
From what I've gathered, it's growing a lot - and may be different now - more diversity I imagine.

Here are some other experiences:
‘Fitting in’ as a non-Mormon in Utah | St George News

Again, if you move there and find yourself asked to Mormon activities, I'd suggest you accept invitations to lds (mostly non-religious - sports, humanitarian, picnics etc.), to get to know people - especially your neighbors - but just keep boundaries (especially financially).

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
My son is Mormon, and is planning to buy a house for his family and mom (me) next spring. The idea is one with a mother in law house for me, which sounds fine, but as I'll be coming from Oklahoma and the influence of the evalgelicals in this state is one reason I want to leave, I am curious about how deep the religious influence is in that area of Utah. I'm pagan and don't push anything, just wear my jewlery. I believe our choice of belief is a personal decision and there isn't one proper one for everyone. I'm very happy for him that he found his, and he respects my choice.

What I'm wondering from the posts is if the county in question will feel like Oklahoma currently does, like I'm a fish out of water. Its partly because this is a small town with nothing really to do, so there's few ways to meet anyone unless you go to the city. Thanks to eye problems I don't drive. It will be very good to have public transportation again.

I'm looking forward very much to the move, and can manage the fish out of water if need be, but must say that the people I've met, a couple of missionaries are VERY respective of individual choice.

I came from southern California but got forced out by the smog and the crowding and the cost, and never even want to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah