Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,535 times

Advertisements

Notice: This is not an AD this is for Public Safety I am just trying to get people aware that there is a Safety system in place to detect an earthquake in Utah before the ripple gets to Salt Lake City.

Sometime in the future there will be a massive Earthquake in Utah along the Wasatch Fault.

We have developed an Earthquake Early Warning System.

Link to App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.seismicsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 12:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
This is a free app. If you find it useful, use it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:11 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
This is a free app. If you find it useful, use it.
I have nothing against developing an App that can do whatever, but I also wonder what certain Apps really *can* do for you ...
Not just *this one* but also many other Apps developed.

I see so many people walking around with their heads *focused* on their *smart phone*, they must have no idea what is going on, around them.

Now imagine having that App on your phone, and then wondering when you are *up the creek without a paddle* ... (When the big one hits ... , you will be there !)

How much *warning* does one really have, when the *big one* hits Utah ?
Does the App tel you what to do ?

So ... here some *free* advice for those who would use that App (to stay informed ...)
Get a Paddle and have it with you in case the big one hits and you are *up the creek* !
At least now, you have a Paddle !

Which brings me to another question, totally non related to the original subject ...
Which App(s) do you have that you absolutely can not live without ?

LBNL ... their website is off line, why ???

Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
Pokemon Go, because without it, I'd have no idea where the Pokemon were.

Hah, no, but this is real. There is legitimate science behind how an app like this works. Earthquakes are waves that travel through the ground. The ones that do the most damage are the surface waves, and they also happen to be the ones that travel the slowest, about 2000 meters (2 km) per second. Cell phones work at roughly the speed of light minus some latency, but for all intents and purposes - instantaneously.

If an earthquake happens, centered at Wasatch Blvd and 9600 South, it'll be about 10-12 seconds before the wave hits city center. Obviously this isn't a ton of time, but it's enough time to get under something sturdy or possibly even get outside if you live in an old brick home, which will likely crumble. Ten seconds could save thousands of lives, so major props to the developer of this app.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Stick to topic please.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:54 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
I live in ID, someone develop an app that will give me at least three days notice to get from the blue zone to the yellow zone when the Yellowstone caldera pops.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Stick to topic please.
I would dare say discussing the science behind how an app works is directly related to the topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I live in ID, someone develop an app that will give me at least three days notice to get from the blue zone to the yellow zone when the Yellowstone caldera pops.
If the Yellowstone caldera is going to go, you'll have far more than 3 days of notice. The eruptions of St. Helens advanced the world of vulcanology by leaps and bounds. We have so many GPS sensors and satellites attached to known volcanoes that major activity will be known well before an eruption. On the bright side, Yellowstone has a recurrence interval of like 750,000 years - that being said, if that interval lands during the 80ish years of your lifetime, it won't matter what color of zone you're in, you'll feel significant effects when it comes to weather patterns and difficulty growing food for a few years.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:44 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I would dare say discussing the science behind how an app works is directly related to the topic?

If the Yellowstone caldera is going to go, you'll have far more than 3 days of notice. The eruptions of St. Helens advanced the world of vulcanology by leaps and bounds. We have so many GPS sensors and satellites attached to known volcanoes that major activity will be known well before an eruption. On the bright side, Yellowstone has a recurrence interval of like 750,000 years - that being said, if that interval lands during the 80ish years of your lifetime, it won't matter what color of zone you're in, you'll feel significant effects when it comes to weather patterns and difficulty growing food for a few years.
Some say yes, some say no. Just like any science; NO one knows for sure until after the fact. Many thought they would be able to forecast future eruptions in the Cascade Volcanic Arc; however, Mt. St. Helens showed they could...after it popped and people died.

And before you say it, science has evolved since the early 80s; however, since science is always evolving, means they might not be able to predict a future eruption.

From the park service...
How much advance notice would there be of an eruption?

"The science of forecasting a volcanic eruption has significantly advanced over the past 25 years. Most scientists think that the buildup preceding a catastrophic eruption would be detectable for weeks and perhaps months to years. Precursors to volcanic eruptions include strong earthquake swarms and rapid ground deformation and typically take place days to weeks before an actual eruption. Scientists at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory* (YVO) closely monitor the Yellowstone region for such precursors. They expect that the buildup to larger eruptions would include intense precursory activity (far exceeding background levels) at multiple spots within the Yellowstone volcano. As at many caldera systems around the world, small earthquakes, ground uplift and subsidence, and gas releases at Yellowstone are commonplace events and do not reflect impending eruptions.
*The YVO is a collaborative effort between the US Geological Survey, the University of Utah, and YNP to monitor and study the Yellowstone Volcano. Congress has given the USGS the responsibility of volcano hazard assessment, and YNP assists the USGS in their volcano."

How Much Notice Before Yellowstone's Supervolcano Erupts?

Gotta love that word EXPECT!
So let's get back on subject about a cell phone app earthquake warning system. My statements was humor, but it appears that went over your head! If I was really worried about a giant volcano going off, I would not have moved to ID, just miles from one of the largest.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 PM

I understood you were attempting to be humorous, but being an earth scientist and working for a state geologic department I like to stomp out fires when people share bad geology on the internet. It helps prevent the raging infernos of pseudo-science and bad facebook memes that I see far more often than I'd like.

I will also admit that my sense of humor is somewhat eroded and that can be tuff to deal with, but all geologists have their faults and if you get to know me I'm typically a gniess guy, so can we metamorphose with a clean slate or have you already lost your apatite with me?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
Hey Geo-Aggie. It was my understanding from having read a bunch of info regarding the impending quake in the Salt Lake area years ago, that when and if it should happen, assuming it was a 6-8 on the Richter scale, the entire "valley" portion of the Salt Lake area would suffer from "liquifaction" and not much would survive in the flats so to speak. On the East Bench which is supposedly the fault line, it was also my understanding that Draper right on down the line to the entrance of Parley's would crumble as well. What's the real scoop on all of this as I understand if you're in the valley at the time you're toast.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah