U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2008, 03:57 PM

90 posts, read 213,621 times
Default Gangs and Violent crime...???

I've been hearing a bit about gangs thriving in the West Valley. I've also pulled up the crime statistics on Salt Lake City and was blown away by how much crime in general has risen there in recent years!

My questions are...

1.) My wife and I would be coming to live there from Tampa, Florida. We are no strangers to high crime rates. However, SLC's violent crime rate is now just a notch below Tampa. One of the main reasons were are considering a move to Utah is precisely because of all the crime around here in Tampa. Should we reconsider? We have three children, a modest income and are looking to provide them with a safer environment to grow up in.

2.) If those of you who live there could tell us what you are seeing in terms of crime (especially violent crime) and maybe tell us what Utah Law Enforcement is doing to deal with it (if anything)?

3.) How aware are the people of Salt Lake City of the rise in crime and how are they reacting to it?

4.) Do you believe crime is only going to worsen over the years in SLC and Utah in general or get better? Why?

I thank you all in advance and look forward to hearing from all of you who would be kind enough to provide my family and I of the information we need!

BIG THANK YOU!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 PM

273 posts, read 833,755 times
My neighbors had their snowman brutalized. It was gruesome.

From watching the evening news, it appears most of the violent crime (related to gangs and drugs) is happening in West Valley City and areas of South Salt Lake. It is a valley of over a million people. There is some crime.

But compared to any other city of 1 million people, I feel safer here than anywhere. And since I choose not to involve myself in drugs or gangs, I think my chances of being a victim of violent crime here are practically nil.

That said, I have to say it appears Utah has more than its fair share of sex crimes, especially those committed against children. There are many opportunites for predators here as children are everywhere. But even with that in mind I don't feel my family is in any unusual amount of jeopardy living in the Salt Lake area. I would certainly take this over Tampa.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 PM

281 posts, read 777,579 times
I submit that Utah is somewhat uniquely setup for conditions for gang activity. I'll probably get a rash of criticism for saying the following but I think I know a little what causes it. Utah is one of seven states that gives driving privliages to illegal alians. Didn't know that? And if you go to the state medical benefits site you'll be amazed at how it's worded to make health benefits available not only to American born children but to their illegal parents as well. I feel it's set up to provide a low cost labor force. The problem is while most of the folks are hard-working, law-abiding people, some of their family members who have gang affiliations migrate from Mexico, LA, Atlanta and many other large metro areas because they have a safe haven here. There isn't a law enforcement budget to deal effectively with it. And Utah is close enough to Mexico to channel all sorts of contriband though here safely.
There is at this time an effort in the state legislature to revoke the driving privlege. It passed the house but the LDS church issued a statement urging law-makers to step back and think about it. (KSL News)
While California gets blamed for everything evil in the world at least it doesn't nor ever did issue drivers licenses to non-residents.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 PM

8,538 posts, read 6,353,271 times
Rick, I think you're right on...this state needs to get on the ball and out of the 19th century in some areas...i am amazed there is no Jessica's law, especially since Children seem to be so revered here...also their animal cruelty laws are really behind the times..there is gang activity here in St. George, too...I think you are on to something...having come here from CA it makes a lot of sense...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM

7,728 posts, read 8,611,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorick View Post
I submit that Utah is somewhat uniquely setup for conditions for gang activity. I'll probably get a rash of criticism for saying the following but I think I know a little what causes it. Utah is one of seven states that gives driving privliages to illegal alians. Didn't know that? And if you go to the state medical benefits site you'll be amazed at how it's worded to make health benefits available not only to American born children but to their illegal parents as well. I feel it's set up to provide a low cost labor force. The problem is while most of the folks are hard-working, law-abiding people, some of their family members who have gang affiliations migrate from Mexico, LA, Atlanta and many other large metro areas because they have a safe haven here. There isn't a law enforcement budget to deal effectively with it. And Utah is close enough to Mexico to channel all sorts of contriband though here safely.
There is at this time an effort in the state legislature to revoke the driving privlege. It passed the house but the LDS church issued a statement urging law-makers to step back and think about it. (KSL News)
While California gets blamed for everything evil in the world at least it doesn't nor ever did issue drivers licenses to non-residents.
You are completely right! If the state of Utah takes those privledges away from illegal immigrants then that might help solve the crime problem that has haunted the Wasatch Front in past years.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM

90 posts, read 213,621 times
What do you guys think the odds are that the LDS Church will win over the state in regards to illegal drivers licenses? I have also heard something about Utah offering free college tuition to illegals or something like that. Any truth to this?

Lastly, do you think these laws are implace not only to aquire cheap labor, but also to potentially boost the rolls of the church (illegals tend to be uneducated and are probably easier to convert). No offense intended to LDS viewers but I had to ask.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 PM

8,538 posts, read 6,353,271 times
The LDS church won't officially comment on any state matters, but the majority of the elected officials are LDS so their views are going to affect the voting..that is just how it goes in Utah...

Don't know about converting the illegals..somehow I would think that if they are coming from south of the border most of them would be catholic? Most hispanics are catholic.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:38 PM

281 posts, read 777,579 times
I've wondered what the motive was for the state to issue a "driving privilige card" as it's called to illegal aliens. The official reason is so they can buy car insurance. But I'd like to know how one get's a policy that's only valid in Utah. Since only Utah would recognise it. I think it was Michigan recently that justified it's refusal to issue drivers licenses to illegals by saying you have to be a legal resident of Michigan to get a Michigan license. And how can you be a resident of a state when your not even a legal resident in the country. I've once wondered why states just don't issue state ID cards. Anyone can get one if you don't have a license for some reason or another. But the same reasoning applies. Aside from the legal issues there is one 300 lb.Gorilla that is the real problem. There's no practical way to even know who these people are. There's no birth certificate paper trail, ID cards are easily made and who are DMV people supposed to contact in Mexico or Guatemala to confirm people are who they say they are? When one applies for citizenship one of the hurdles is that they have to prove who they are. When a couple hundred people walk across a border unstopped every day and some make it to Utah nobody knows who they are. Gang bangers, smugglers, murderers or molestors. But they can get a license and live here.
I agree that most Hispanics are Catholic. And most Catholics wouldn't even think of converting to something else. I've concluded it's for low cost labor.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 AM

243 posts, read 419,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampChomp1 View Post
What do you guys think the odds are that the LDS Church will win over the state in regards to illegal drivers licenses? I have also heard something about Utah offering free college tuition to illegals or something like that. Any truth to this?

Lastly, do you think these laws are implace not only to aquire cheap labor, but also to potentially boost the rolls of the church (illegals tend to be uneducated and are probably easier to convert). No offense intended to LDS viewers but I had to ask.
Well, I know it has nothing whatsoever to do with boosting the rolls of the church. That's absolutely so off base!! It's really not a numbers race with the church. All the missionary work is about bringing individual happiness and eternal salvation to people and families. The church DOES like to know what the numbers are mainly because it's a very well organized church and there is a scripture where the Lord says, "Mine house is a house of order." And honestly it's fun to see how the church has grown in membership over the years. It's amazing! It's true some missionaries and leaders pay too much attention to those numbers and let it go to their heads. That's really too bad. But it's important to understand that encouraging people to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is motivated by love and concern for the individuals- not numbers.

That said, it seems that local legislators haven't had a handle on what a serious problem illegal immigration is and mostly it's potential to cause even bigger problems. It's a fairly new issue (say in the last 10 yrs) that is really coming to light and this year especially with all the chatter about it in the presidential campaigns. My naive guess is that whatever laws were put in place benefitting the illegal aliens had something to do with trying to keep things in order at least since we can't seem to stop them from coming. And possibly some of that compassion mixed in too. I don't really know all that much about it. (I know a whole lot more about what motivates the church than what motivates the government LOL) but I think it's time to change some laws and get tougher on immigration. Here's a link to a sobering presentation on youTube about it. Really interesting .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WJeqxuOfQ

Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 30,314 times
Default St George Uath

This is the safest place I have ever lived, but nothing to do, but if you have a family it would be a great place, The job market is a problem, but if you have a job in that area it would be a great place to raise a family, St George Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah