U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Considering move from Michigan to Utah, need; information on school districts, small communities population under 5000, non-Mormon communities, anti-religious

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:39 PM

17 posts, read 36,202 times

Advertisements

We are 30 minutes east of Grand Rapids just out side of Ada. I always believed you get what you pay for including housing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,372,958 times
I did a little looking and it seems that the houses in Ada are comparable in price to those in the Layton area (just north of Kaysville). Kaysville is slightly more expensive than Layton. Either way, you should be fine in that regard.

You are right in that you get what you pay for!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

222 posts, read 592,672 times
Syracuse is not that far from Kaysville and it has cheaper prices than Layton and Kaysville. There is a small town feel with walking trails, nature park (with fishing lake) and you have the everyday conveniences (Walmart, Dr., library, community center, gas station, etc) and the bigger stores are about 5-10 minutes away in Layton. There is still a lot of open space in Syracuse. I have lived in Utah my whole life (I am LDS) and have never spoken to a polygamist. They really keep to themselves. I have also always had a best friend, growing up and now as an adult, that is not LDS. Unfortunately those that give LDS a bad name would be that way whether they were LDS, another religion or no religion. I think that they are just not considerate of others feelings but because they are LDS and that is the dominate religion it is blamed on the religion, not the individual. Good luck with you move!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 PM

2,612 posts, read 3,473,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCityUtahRez View Post
I thought Utah would be nice for family values and raising a family. I was not expecting any issues. The only thing that I knew of LDS, was the hearttouching TV ads.

I don't know how things will turn around and Cedar City is not a tiny community by any means.

I do know of a family that lives in Salt Lake City and their teen child had a public school teacher say one of the most awful statements that I have ever heard about the teen's religion. The teacher said that all people of that teen's religion should be shot. Yes, that is just one person and I know many LDS would be horrified that he said...but...

In Salt Lake on the local News, a newsperson person was referring to an American Idol contestant and said, and I quote,

"Could she be?" What do you think the broadcaster was talking about? The talked about how the drink, smoke, or go to rated R movies.

Could she be, what? Well....the broadcaster was talking about....

Could she be.....LDS/Mormon

What other state could you ask...."Could she be?" and have people know what you're referring to?

Yes, there are some nice things in Utah....scenery is nice, crime is lower (at least where I live), family values-as a whole community is shaped.

But, I have lived 2 other states and my children have always made friends and played with other children in the neighborhood...not in Utah...this state has one religion as the major way of living.

I did learn about Pioneer Day...never heard of it...before Utah. I also didn't know that Wal-mart had an LDS book/dvd/ section and a section that sold replicas of Mormon temples. Got to love Wal-mart...if people will buy it...they will sell it.

I did not realize (before I moved here) that many LDS would refer to my religion as the church of Satan.

For those who don't know...that would mean that I am Catholic.

Good Luck...it took 2 years for us to really find out.
i am sorry that you have had bad experiences here. for some reason i keep hearing about them in cedar city in particular. don't know what that means, cuz i don't do statistics very well. i would still classify cedar city as a small area. slc is considered small by some definitions, and i have witnessed much of the growth of cedar city as compared to the rest of the state, and consider it still as a small town.

mormons (or anyone else for that matter) that claim that the catholic church is the antichrist/great and abominable church/etc have not been doing their homework, and have been listening to too much gossip and jerry springer. lds doctrine is that satan's church is any organization upon the face of the earth that seeks to deceive and exploit others. and i know quite a few catholics who are just as christian as i am.

i would agree with one of the last posts that people tend to make unfair judgments and illogical leaps of reason when they see something that they don't like. whenever a mormon, a catholic, a baptist, an athiest, a marine, a sailor, or anyone else affiliated with a large group, especially a controversial one, does anything bad, that individual casts a distasteful odor upon the organization that he/she is a part of, and people allow that to influence their biases way more easily than i think that they should.

that is not to say that this is what you are doing. you seem pretty calm and still capable of critical thinking. there are just so many others that don't seem to be able to retain that function when offended/confused/misunderstood/etc.

aaron out.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,536 times
Ummm, Utah IS warmer than Michigan! Even on our worst winter day this year, it was still warmer than MI. Sure, we have snow, but it's much milder than MI. I'm from Cleveland and the weather here is just less stressful.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
Hello,

You shouldn't be too nervous about moving to Utah. I grew up in kaysville. I loved it. It was a great place to grow up. If you're looking for the small town feel Kaysville is the place to live. however Kaysville home prices are pretty high compared to the rest of the county. the town has grown over the last decade but its still small compared to the rest of the county. the town has two grocery stores, a small handful of restaurants, a few traffic lights, two jr. Highs, and one High School. Its still small town enough that people line the streets for the fourth of July parade.

As for the Mormons don't worry about us too much. We're just like any other people....really. We strive to live the best we can. East Kaysville is more predominantly Mormon than East Kaysville is. A couple of years ago a bunch of military bases were closed down so each year we gain more civilian and military personnel that have moved here to work at Hill Air Force Base. Most of those people aren't mormon. These new move-ins tend to settle in the new homes being built all over the state. If you really want to understand us just visit [url=http://www.mormon.org]Mormon.org[/url].

As for polygamists, don't worry about them. They keep to themselves and they live more in the Bountiful area which is south of Kaysville. The Elizabeth Smart case was a weird one, but don't go by it.

anyways, I hope that you enjoy Utah. You'll have to get used to seeing mountains. I spent two weeks in Troy Michigan with some friends and I couldn't believe how flat it was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah