Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 02:28 AM

9 posts, read 17,908 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I am a south florida gal. Have lived in miami, palm beach and currently live in broward. My husband and i are in our 30s. 2 kids. Im a nurse practitioner . hubby pursuiting paramedic/fire fighter career.
I 1st visited park city 8 years ago and loved it.
Then visited south utah a couple years ago. Loved it ! Such a beautiful state.
Anyways last year vacationed in slc/ park city again. We love skiing.
Ive had a moment of life realization. Deep thinking about quality of life and cost here and getting to expensive! Property taxes almost 4k. Homeowner insurance 3k. Car insurance high. Utilities very high. And its too hot here Year round. We love outdoor activities and exercising but it feels like every year is getting hotter to enjoy the outdoors comfortably. In addition i feel south florida has become over populated traffic is very bad. People are rude. Working in the medical field too much competition, hard to find a job. (i have a job because i really networked very hard prior to grad but some classmates that graduated stilll looking and all that is because fl has too many nurses and advanced nurses . apparently we have the most nursing schools in the country which equals Low nursing wages as a result. Frankly i think it sucks here. The only thing i would miss i think is our local supermarket! So diverse and sells products from around the globe including a large array of live seafood! All my fam lives far away in other areas of fl so doesnt matter. Anyways seeli selling our properties here would give us sufficient funds to buy and build something in utah and not have mortgage. No mort equals me not working 2 jobs and being able to have more time and enjoy our kids. I see a lot of land for sale at an affordable price. Already built isolated homes in the mountains see too expensive which is why why think might be better to just buy land. Looking at ogden, huntsville, wasatch county, emmigration oaks area. Are these good areas? School system? I need to be able to find a job and commute to work from where i live. And also want to be no more than 30 minutes from a ski resort. Want to be able to ski frequently.

I feel that living in utah we will be happier in terms of activities to do, weather, living not too close to others by building in a lot with atleast 2 acres etc. We want to be able to grow fruit trees, see wildlife etc. Also we are not lds. We drink caffeine and alcohol socially lol.

How does utahs cost of living compare to fl in terms of property taxes , insurance, monthly utilities etc? We are considering solar panels. Even if cost is similar we will still be better off financial as we will eliminate mortg bill.

All your thoughts and comments appreciated thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 02:43 AM

Also would consider midway, heber city. We are looking for rural areas but not more than 1 hr commute to city for work.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Nurse practitioners here in Utah with a master's degree are allowed prescriptive privileges. Don't know about Florida - but many states don't allow that.

Salaries are MUCH lower here tho. That includes salaries for fire/paramedic jobs.

That said - property taxes are on the rise. Many communities here have not raise their property taxes in years - my city in over 20 - and now that there are infrastructure issues because the whole world is moving here - they are moving to change that. I would check out Summit County property tax rates before committing. Here in Salt Lake County we pay $2000 for a 2200 sq ft home.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:03 AM

317 posts, read 651,788 times
You should probably take winter weather into account when planning acceptable commute distances. Snowy or icy conditions can add to time needed (and to hazards) considerably.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:17 PM

Thanks. Im sure it cannot be as bad as here in Fl. Wages here are not that great either. I know some nps here will ver bad offers. Worse than bedside nursing. Atleast if i move there i can sell my house here and practically have enough to be mortg free and could probably get by working part time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: