Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 12:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times

Advertisements

looking for general information on Spanish Forks Utah , Culture,, weather, Cost of living, Housing and beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 01:35 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Well, first of all, it's called "Spanish Fark", and it's about 20 miles south of American Fark and a few hours north of Saint Jarge. Between the two is Provo, home of BYU - widely known for the worst beer situation of any college campus in the entire multiverse, and being rich in a culture which strongly shuns it. Oh, and it's right on the edge of the greater Salt Lake Metro, so some residents own harses and oddly enough their "appercot" trees are known for producing high-quality "popcarn".

Cost of living is pretty reasonable, housing will be a mix of older quaint stuff in the city center and modern sprawl-style stuff as you radiate out. Weather is hot and dry in the summer and cold in the winter with a nice spring and autumn. I'm personally not a fan of Spanish Fark, but if you're looking for a developing little suburb that's far enough away to be a little bit country, a little bit suburban, and a lot of bit Mormon, Spanish Fark fits the bill perfectly.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 AM

thanks fer the reply but it doesn't sound like there ar any Microbrewries in Spanish farks

Old 10-20-2016, 09:35 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
thanks fer the reply but it doesn't sound like there ar any Microbrewries in Spanish farks
It's Spanish Fork (singular) and no, there aren't. Why are you considering moving there?

Old 10-20-2016, 10:54 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Quote:
Hehehehe, I like you.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:26 AM

looking at small town s to move to in the west ( Colorado, Utah , New Mexico , Arizona ) that have four seasons , not overly expensive and places to have a beer .

Old 10-20-2016, 03:12 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
looking at small town s to move to in the west ( Colorado, Utah , New Mexico , Arizona ) that have four seasons , not overly expensive and places to have a beer .
Than my advice to you is to avoid Spanish Fork. The Utah county area is heavily LDS. Most of your neighbors will be teetotalers.

When I read your post from the way it was written, I guessed that maybe you had selected Spanish Fork because it appeared on some "top fifty list" of the best communities in the country to live in. Those kind of surveys seldom take into account things like cultural and religious values.

If drinking or having a beer is a significant part of your social life there are probably better places in the country to move.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
If you don't need beer, but are looking for affordable, is this a possibility? My son is moving to the area, and I'm hoping to leave the earthquakes behind before they ace the house (I live in Cushing, which is at the center of the new batch of 5. quakes, had two last night. More expected and its supposed to get worse.) I'm looking for affordable, not fancy. Hopefully ground that stays put.

I'm not Mormon but as long as nobody bugs me about it I'm fine with their choices.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
What people tend to forget is that Utah is overdue for a "big one." Where it will hit is hard to predict. Look at the University of Utah geology maps or USGS to inform yourself.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What people tend to forget is that Utah is overdue for a "big one." Where it will hit is hard to predict. Look at the University of Utah geology maps or USGS to inform yourself.
Good point. Though its different than wondering if there will be a quake that night, or hearing a boom or a little shake and waiting, daily. I live in Cushing OK, and most people didn't know it existed unless you lived in the general area. Then on a nice warm night all of a sudden there's a big slip and LOUD boom, and then the 5.8 quake. The buildings here are old, some a hundred years old. The downtown was heavily damaged, and apparently many homes, as the claims are starting. I'm lucky, mine is a shotgun without a lot of additions. But now we hear that so much has been injected that we should expect a series of 5. x quakes instead of little ones.

I grew up in socal, and we had a bunch of large quakes. But they were natural and not induced. You live with it, but you get angry if companies disregard the safety of people over profit. And even if 'the big one' may come tomorrow or maybe ten years from now, they build as if it was tomorrow. That's easier to deal with than wondering which of the quakes which keep coming will be bigger and if the house can take it.

I think I could handle the potential threat, like in California, easier than this mess here.

Which brings a different question. Is housing in Utah built to any kind of quake standards, like California? Especially new building, but also how much of the infastructure is buildings which will demolish by themselves come the big one?

Do they go after oil anywhere, and do they use injection wells?

Unless the quakes here are stopped or controlled, and the oil companies give up fighting it, a lot of other places with their own possible risks will be looking pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah