Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 13,303 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a substance abuse treatment or recovery center in Utah?

There are a number of treatment centers here that I am aware of but I was wondering if anyone has experience with and can recommend one. I hear they can vary greatly in their level of care and concern for the individual. It's a big decision to make and I'd hate to see it go to waste on a center that does not really care about their people.

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Well, seeing as how there has not been a response on this topic as of yet, I thought I would post what I have discovered in the past few days. By calling around and even touring several rehab facilities I've defiantly discovered a few things.

First, all rehab centers are not created equally. I quickly recognized a big difference even just over the phone. For example, when called, many rehabs immediately began asking about your insurance and payment method. So one big tip when looking for a good rehab is to call and see if they do immediately start asking about payment/insurance. The ones I talked to that did, seemed to care more about the money then actually helping people.

Second, ask how many people they have at any given time. I found that these big facilities with 60 plus patients were the same ones that seemed to care more about the money than anything else. I get that they have to run a business, but I got the feeling from these big facilities that this "money first" mentality ran throughout the company.

Third, ask if you can tour their center. If they are really proud about what they do and their facility, then they will be happy to give you a tour. I have found that it is on the tours that I really got a good feel for the company, staff, level of treatment and care.

The one that has really stuck out to me so far is Brighton Recovery Center in Ogden Utah. They do rehab specifically for alcohol and substance abuse. When I called on the phone, the person was very nice and seemed genuinely concerned about the situation of the loved one I was calling about. The person did not even mention insurance or money. I eventually brought that up and then he was very helpful and said he could run the insurance and call me back within a couple hours. After he got back with me, I scheduled a tour for the next day.

The center was amazing! The facility used to be a Monastery, and just has a really good spiritual/healing feeling about it. It's located on the side of a mountain and overlooks the whole area. But most of all, the staff was amazing. Many of them had been through recovery themselves. I met several of the licensed therapists and they all seemed very knowledgeable and wanted to know all about my situation. I even met the on Doctor on staff.

I hope it is alright to post a link to their site on here. I was just so impressed and it took a lot of digging to find such a great rehab. I want to share it with everyone. Brighton Recovery Center - Substance abuse rehab

I fully plan to keep this post updated so you can all know how the rehab process goes for my loved one. Here is hoping all goes well. It's so difficult to see a loved one struggle from addiction.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:53 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Good info. I"m sure someone else will find it very useful. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 AM

163 posts, read 318,137 times
Ed -

Sorry I didn't see your posting sooner. Over the past 3-4 years I have learned more about addiction and recovery in Utah than any parent would ever want to know. I actually lived in Ogden 3 years when my son first entered treatment, and Brighton Recovery never even showed up on my radar. How long have they been around?

Recovery is a growing industry in Utah. Lots of high end centers that draw wealthy clients and celebrities from all over the country. There are a number of resort-like facilities in the mountains, but most are closer to Salt Lake City. Look for certification from the Joint Commission, membership in the NAADAC, and master's Level therapists. For many addicts, it's also very important to be tied into a Vivitrol treatment program. The daily routine on the Brighton Recovery Center seems pretty typical.

Normally, the client must first undergo hospital detox for at least a week prior to going into a 30 day residential facility. 30 days is a minimum stay - 90 days in residential is not uncommon. After residential, most clients step down to IOP or intensive outpatient treatment combined with a group sober living home. The top sober living facilities are very pricey - upwards of $3000 per month. Others are free of charge with enrollment in a specific IOP.

For most people, insurance is definitely a big driver, so it's very important to ensure that they will work with your insurer. On the first go-around, I paid 1/2 the cost of treatment ($15,000) up front for a 30 day residential stay at Turning Point, a very nice facility that was not on our insurance plan. Ultimately they did cover most of the cost. My thought at the time was that we needed to do it right, so it would be worth the investment. More recently, we paid nothing out of pocket at a no-frills program based in Salt Lake City. My son commented frequently that it definitely wasn't as plush as the first facility (no private chef, for example). But it was effective, and at this stage, I think it was the right choice.

Other residential facilities that I have heard good things about include Cirque, Turning Point, Renaissance Ranch, Recovery Ways, and Cold Creek. For sober living, Balance House and Project Recovery are both top notch.

Last edited by elcee499; 02-15-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 AM

Thanks elcee499 this is some great information and I really appreciate it. We did decide to go with Brighton, they have been in business just over a year, so they couldn't have been an option for you 3 years ago. So far, everything has gone very well with Brighton.

You mentioned cost of a rehab center being about $3,000 per month, but I think you meant $30,000 right? If that is the case, Brighton Recovery actually came in about $10,000 less. They were also accepted by my insurance, which the center handled mostly on their own.

Thanks for the heads up on the Joint Commission seal, I just went to Brighton Recovery's site Brighton Recovery Center | Addiction Treatment | South Ogden, UT and found the seal right on their home page. So that was reassuring.

I did look into most of the other rehab centers you mention here. I found that the Cirque is crazy expensive. Apparently it is a place where a lot of celebrities go. I heard bad things about Recovery Ways and was not impressed with them in general.

My brother was admitted to the facility immediately after detox and it seems to be going very well so far. When I did the tour I was impressed by their emphasis on dual-diagnosis treatment and co-occurring mental health issues. I also think he will get a lot out of the recreational therapy because he loves that sort of stuff anyway. Here is hoping and praying. Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM

11 posts, read 30,855 times
The Haven

The Haven - Leading Addiction Recovery Treatment Center - The Haven

Highland Ridge

Psychiatric Treatment Center & Mental Health Hospital | Salt Lake City, Utah | Highland Ridge Hospital

Oddessy House

Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation - Salt Lake City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah