Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,581 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm considering moving to St. George or Salt Lake City. My question is: how high should my income be in order to afford a mid-class standard of living? I have a wife and four kids: two of them are currently enrolled in college, another one in high school and the youngest in mid-high school. I would look for a house for rent as a starting point. I know there are many other factors to consider and I don't expect a very accurate number as an answer. I'm just curious, out of your experienced rules of thumb, what range should an income be for such a family configuration... 80K? 90K? 120K? even more?

Thanks in advance for your rough estimations or guesses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 12:43 PM

317 posts, read 652,323 times
Going by Washington County median income stats, 80k would put you well over median. St. George rent is typically high in comparison to its generally low wages. You can look it up here. Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed I think the rent listed on the page may be behind the going rate, so YMMV.

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 04:33 AM

7 posts, read 8,610 times
Choose the Provo/Orem area. Plenty of jobs from tech to customer service. Decent salary is 50K - 70K. That is comparable to 60K-100K in places like Phoenix and Seattle. You can find good deals on mountain view rentals and properties if you look around the further north you go. But the further north from Salt Lake the more the job market is limited (but still better than St. George) Also, when people in Utah say, "that is a bad town" don't listen to the for the most part. It simply means it is not a Mormon town. Unlike California, Phoenix, and Nevada; Utah doesn't have any REALLY bad areas.

Cost of living is pretty cheap compared to other places as well. Real Estate is good, but taxes are dang expensive. State Government will nickel and dime everything. But state income taxes are not too bad. St. George the job market is more limited and housing is more. Southern Utah is more for wealthy people to have a home away from home in the winter as a vacation home.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 4,581 times
Thank you for your valuable information and points of view. I'm keeping gathering all kind of statistics and numbers, but as for a wage, your comments greatly help me feel more comfortable now. Really appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah