U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,106 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We have started our little family in Phoenix and are anxious to move to an area with four seasons. After years of watching on Colorado, Utah, northern AZ, etc, we are zeroing in on Ogden. We love the wasatch front, SLC has enough opportunity for work (both in design field and work from home) and we have relationships established there. We are familiar and friendly toward the LDS community while not engaged. Ogden feels like the right size town with things to do, love the parks, downtown & access to outdoor activity. Love the climate. What is the deal with the schools, though? Really terrible greatschools scores! How can Forbes bless Ogden with a "best place to raise a family" if the schools are bad? Its a deal breaker, total bubble-buster. Can anyone shed some light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:05 AM

9,133 posts, read 9,215,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outta-az View Post
Hi all! We have started our little family in Phoenix and are anxious to move to an area with four seasons. After years of watching on Colorado, Utah, northern AZ, etc, we are zeroing in on Ogden. We love the wasatch front, SLC has enough opportunity for work (both in design field and work from home) and we have relationships established there. We are familiar and friendly toward the LDS community while not engaged. Ogden feels like the right size town with things to do, love the parks, downtown & access to outdoor activity. Love the climate. What is the deal with the schools, though? Really terrible greatschools scores! How can Forbes bless Ogden with a "best place to raise a family" if the schools are bad? Its a deal breaker, total bubble-buster. Can anyone shed some light?
Ogden schools are some of the worst in the state of Utah. However, when I say that I am referring to schools in the downtown. Schools in Roy, South Ogden, North Ogden, and Riverdale are just fine.

Downtown Ogden is unfortunately a pocket of poor and disadvantaged people. English is often a second language. It has deteriorated in much the same way that many downtown urban areas have declined throughout the USA.

One thing I would do if I moved to the area is simply make certain that your home is located within the Weber School District as opposed to the Ogden School District. If you do this, the schools your children attend should be fine.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:51 AM

152 posts, read 198,654 times
MarkG is absolutely correct about ensuring that your schools are in the Weber District, not the Ogden District. I would choose my neighborhood based on the high school - if its good, the feeder schools probably did a good job too. Among the four traditional high schools in the Weber District, the best rated are Weber High in North Ogden and Fremont High in Plain City. Bonneville High in South Ogden is about average, and Roy High is below average.

You asked specifically about the greatschools ratings, which I think are a confusing data dump. A better resource is the Utah Accountability Ratings, maintained by the State School Board. They provide quantitative data on student performance. Of course, that's only part of the picture, but its a good place to start. Here's the link: https://www.schools.utah.gov/assessment/resources. You can download an Excel spreadsheet which has reasonably reliable data on all of the public schools in the state.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,106 times
thank you!!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 AM

58 posts, read 168,042 times
I see Ben Lomond has really poor ratings on Great Schools. I was curious, did a search, and on the facebook benlomondhighschool page, there are so many good ratings. It seems like most of the people that posted on the Facebook page are happy with their experience at the school. Don't know what to think...I don't live in the area, do have rental property though and love the area.

Last edited by wally99; 09-12-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 04:33 PM

9,133 posts, read 9,215,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally99 View Post
I see Ben Lomond has really poor ratings on Great Schools. I was curious, did a search, and on the facebook benlomondhighschool page, there are so many good ratings. It seems like most of the people that posted on the Facebook page are happy with their experience at the school. Don't know what to think...I don't live in the area, do have rental property though and love the area.
Its the area and the fact in its the Ogden School District. Ben Lomond High School is actually not in a bad neighborhood. Its south of 12th Street and south of 12th Street, the properties are better. However, the school draws from areas that are pretty rough.

Even so, I suspect it has a better rating than Ogden High School does. That's the roughest area around. It was rough when I was growing up and I think its gotten worse since.

I hesitate a bit whenever I tell people not to live in a certain area or send their kids to a particular school or school district. I don't like stigmatizing an entire group or location. I'm sure there are plenty of good school teachers in the Ogden School District and probably lots of fine students. However, it doesn't change the fact that schools in this district have low achievement statistics compared to neighboring school districts.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:25 PM

152 posts, read 198,654 times
Student satisfaction on Facebook is one way to judge a high school, but college readiness is also pretty important. Only 12% of the kids at Ben Lomond meet the ACT college-readiness benchmarks in all four subject areas (English, reading, math and science). At Ogden High, that percentage increases to 20%.

And yes, there are lots of great teacher and plenty of smart kids. But the majority tend to come from lower-income families, and poverty correlates closely to poorer test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah