U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 PM

1,411 posts, read 684,239 times

Advertisements

Wasn't a recent Utah GOP Chairman not only non-LDS, but black?

Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 PM

2,400 posts, read 5,226,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would be willing to bet that a non-LDS Republican would stand a better chance of being elected in Utah than an LDS Democrat.
Yeah, i'd have to agree.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 PM

2,400 posts, read 5,226,107 times
Quote:
You know, I really hate to think someone would choose not to move to Salt Lake City because of a handful of comments on this forum. I hope the OP will consider the facts that Salt Lake City has not had an LDS mayor since 1985. Obviously enough people are willing to look beyond religion to have elected five non-LDS mayors in a row in the last 32 years. I personally feel that most LDS people would be more interested in a politician's values and his position on policies that affect their way of life than in his religion. The majority of Utahns are conservative. They stand for conservative values and if someone is willing to stand with them for these values, I think they'd vote for that person.
Completely agree, but this guy doesn't want to live in (liberal) SLC. And let's face it, elsewhere in UT an non-LDS politician is going to have an uphill fight.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:22 AM

21,878 posts, read 22,011,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Completely agree, but this guy doesn't want to live in (liberal) SLC. And let's face it, elsewhere in UT an non-LDS politician is going to have an uphill fight.
I'm not saying it would be easy, but I don't think it would be a big enough hurdle to make him cross Utah off his list, especially given the conservative bend of the state in general. I mean no, for him to come in and decide to run for Governor against a well-known LDS candidate would almost assuredly be a bad idea, but you climb the ladder, you know. If he's as conservative and family-values oriented as he comes across, he could very well prove to be someone with a political future here.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM

1,177 posts, read 752,488 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it would be easy, but I don't think it would be a big enough hurdle to make him cross Utah off his list, especially given the conservative bend of the state in general. I mean no, for him to come in and decide to run for Governor against a well-known LDS candidate would almost assuredly be a bad idea, but you climb the ladder, you know. If he's as conservative and family-values oriented as he comes across, he could very well prove to be someone with a political future here.
the problem with that is then only distinction between the OP and some LDS candidate is the LDS. and the vote will go to the comfortable/familiar choice.

city government is probably the only place he would stand a chance (given where he wants to live) and even that it will be a bit of an ask.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 AM

2,299 posts, read 5,088,928 times
This certainly is one time I'd agree wholeheartedly with Katz. When the rubber meets the road what comes out of your mouth coupled with your actions will get you MUCH further than what badge you wear. Mormons at large are pretty easy going people for the most part. They certainly will tend to admire someone that adheres more so to their tenants, which you DO, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The manner in which you come off appears educated, and that would likely assist you in your efforts to get to where you want to go around here. There is little doubt once outside of the main city of Salt Lake you are definitely in a Republican run area. More so conservative but by NO means to a fault. My dad was from Brooklyn so I became very familiar with what you've described as well. I too would see this area as a decent fit. Who knows, you might make some significant inroads in this area with your forward thinking attitude. As for the prospects of your future regarding a relationship......well....when I came out here from the Chicago area it was shortly after a breakup of a long relationship that was a engagement, so a welcome change. I ended up finding my wife here, so I can't complain In the end I'd say give it a whirl. It's a good an opportunity if not better (due to our current hot economy) now then ever. Good luck

Old 10-12-2017, 11:06 AM

126 posts, read 78,864 times
Well I thank you guys for your honest replies. Utah is definitely not off my list. There's just so much going for the state in terms of making it such an ideal place for me to want to live and raise a family. Despite these setbacks, I can't forget the absolute glee I felt when I was looking at all the potential outdoors recreation & varied geographies, climate, and seasons. How gun friendly the state is--I'm a big gun enthusiast, and I looked up Utah's laws regarding firearms, it's as free as it gets. While looking up real estate for all 12 states on my list, nothing quite compared to Utah. There was really something about the ways the homes are built and embeddened in natural light with the mountains all around that tugged on my heart strings. I can't disregard all of that.

However, this social and political issue is definitely a setback. A big part of me wanting to making such a move is because I want to raise my children in a highly virtuous, highly moral, conservative environment. Utah may be all of that, but it won't mean much if my family and I face social isolation because of our faith. Considering how important politics is to me, it's discouraging how the extent of my political ambitions will be limited to municipal offices.

Thank you all for your responses, you've been very gracious!

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 AM

126 posts, read 78,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
This certainly is one time I'd agree wholeheartedly with Katz. When the rubber meets the road what comes out of your mouth coupled with your actions will get you MUCH further than what badge you wear. Mormons at large are pretty easy going people for the most part. They certainly will tend to admire someone that adheres more so to their tenants, which you DO, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The manner in which you come off appears educated, and that would likely assist you in your efforts to get to where you want to go around here. There is little doubt once outside of the main city of Salt Lake you are definitely in a Republican run area. More so conservative but by NO means to a fault. My dad was from Brooklyn so I became very familiar with what you've described as well. I too would see this area as a decent fit. Who knows, you might make some significant inroads in this area with your forward thinking attitude. As for the prospects of your future regarding a relationship......well....when I came out here from the Chicago area it was shortly after a breakup of a long relationship that was a engagement, so a welcome change. I ended up finding my wife here, so I can't complain In the end I'd say give it a whirl. It's a good an opportunity if not better (due to our current hot economy) now then ever. Good luck
Thank you sir for your kind words. I'm glad you can relate, seeing as your father was from Brooklyn. Republican run areas are music to my ears! I'm a huge believer in the principles of Republicanism, and have worked/interned for Republican Congressmen and Mayoral hopefuls. The heavy saturation of political conservatism is part of what made me initially research the state.

If I may ask a personal question, you mentioned how you met your wife in Utah. Are you LDS--is she?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 752,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialMaverick View Post
Well I thank you guys for your honest replies. Utah is definitely not off my list. There's just so much going for the state in terms of making it such an ideal place for me to want to live and raise a family. Despite these setbacks, I can't forget the absolute glee I felt when I was looking at all the potential outdoors recreation & varied geographies, climate, and seasons. How gun friendly the state is--I'm a big gun enthusiast, and I looked up Utah's laws regarding firearms, it's as free as it gets. While looking up real estate for all 12 states on my list, nothing quite compared to Utah. There was really something about the ways the homes are built and embeddened in natural light with the mountains all around that tugged on my heart strings. I can't disregard all of that.

However, this social and political issue is definitely a setback. A big part of me wanting to making such a move is because I want to raise my children in a highly virtuous, highly moral, conservative environment. Utah may be all of that, but it won't mean much if my family and I face social isolation because of our faith. Considering how important politics is to me, it's discouraging how the extent of my political ambitions will be limited to municipal offices.

Thank you all for your responses, you've been very gracious!
this state is no more virtuous than any other and in some respects maybe less so. i'd suggest a bit more homework, not to discourage but at least to come in with eyes wide open. seems a week doesn't go by without a story about some sort of affinity fraud scheme going to court. and that's just for a start.

good luck whatever you decide.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM

2,299 posts, read 5,088,928 times
To MillenialMaverick: LOL I am actually a Hebrew (a Jew who believes in the real Messiah called by HIS Hebrew name Yeshua not the "J" one the Christians use). Talk about being "set apart", there aren't many of us around here that's for sure. My wife "was" LDS when I met her but has joined me in my faith for some time. We celebrated our 36th anniversary this last August so it certainly was a good choice. It's so very important to find a woman that values the concept of a "covenant" which is what a marriage "should" be. Not one of convenience or an attitude of "well if it doesn't work out there's always divorce". My parents were married 57 years before dad passed and mom made it to age 93. They were what I patterned my marriage after and it sure has worked well. Each partner should be giving 110% if it's ideal. But frankly the BEST relationships I've noted were ones where each person was as if not MORE concerned for the other than themselves. It is a key.

As far as being an "outsider" with having the kids, it so much depends on WHICH neighborhood you end up with. It would be sadly incorrect to assume that if you place them in a virtually all LDS neighborhood to expect them to be included in many activities of the kids. That's not reality. But in a more mixed neighborhood there's a very good chance of homogenization. As an adult in day to day life however I never tend to feel left out when I'm out and about shopping or whatever else I'm doing. But let's face it, ANY organized religious organization has their OWN gatherings which include their people exclusively......it's perfectly normal and natural. Once you are here you will find it much easier to find the best place for your longer term spot to stay. NOBODY can tell you what that truly is or would be. You have to taste it all for yourself, which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by dcisive; 10-12-2017 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: addressing the original poster specifically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah