Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 03:46 PM

106 posts, read 109,640 times

Advertisements

It's true that people can be integrated, or converted. As an outsider, I guess it's hard to know exactly what the mindset could be of another culture - meaning, for example, how understanding or accepting they are of those who don't share their beliefs (as is OP's concern), or what their limitations are based on those beliefs (as in not marrying outside of the religion). That's why it's great to hear from those of you that come from that culture and understand the viewpoints and their values.

I definitely agree that OP and their family should be able to share that they have different beliefs when asked about it. From most of what I've read on these forums (from those that are actually LDS), it seems most are accepting of their neighbors even if they're non-LDS. Then again, I'm not there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 04:11 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
It's true that people can be integrated, or converted. As an outsider, I guess it's hard to know exactly what the mindset could be of another culture - meaning, for example, how understanding or accepting they are of those who don't share their beliefs (as is OP's concern), or what their limitations are based on those beliefs (as in not marrying outside of the religion). That's why it's great to hear from those of you that come from that culture and understand the viewpoints and their values.

I definitely agree that OP and their family should be able to share that they have different beliefs when asked about it. From most of what I've read on these forums (from those that are actually LDS), it seems most are accepting of their neighbors even if they're non-LDS. Then again, I'm not there.
You might want to glance through these two threads...

The Lowdown on Us Mormons
The Lowdown on Us Mormons (Part 2)

Obviously, you won't want to read the threads in their entirety as they are very, very long, but you may find a few of your questions and concerns addressed there.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Mormon society in Utah is quite different from Mormon society outside of Utah. Outside of Utah, Mormons are a minority, and are well-integrated into non-Mormon society. Yes, they go to church, and all the related activities. But they have non-Mormon friends, as do their kids.

Mormon in Utah, (except maybe in SLC), is a different story. There are so many other Mormons that it's very easy to associate only with other Mormons. I suppose it would be like this with any religion which has many "rules" and many hours of church-related activities every week. I have met active Mormons who say they don't like living in Utah, because they wind up with little life that is not church-related.

And yes, most Mormons whom I have met are lovely, pleasant people to deal with.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Mormon society in Utah is quite different from Mormon society outside of Utah. Outside of Utah, Mormons are a minority, and are well-integrated into non-Mormon society. Yes, they go to church, and all the related activities. But they have non-Mormon friends, as do their kids.

Mormon in Utah, (except maybe in SLC), is a different story. There are so many other Mormons that it's very easy to associate only with other Mormons. I suppose it would be like this with any religion which has many "rules" and many hours of church-related activities every week. I have met active Mormons who say they don't like living in Utah, because they wind up with little life that is not church-related.

And yes, most Mormons whom I have met are lovely, pleasant people to deal with.
You really think that LDS society is that different in Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, or Alberta? I don't.

LDS people and people of demanding religions can become isolated because of their faiths. That doesn't have as much to do with Utah as it does with their individual choices.

I did not grow up in Utah, and I was nonetheless very entrenched and isolated within my church community.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I have met active Mormons who say they don't like living in Utah, because they wind up with little life that is not church-related.
I'm a lifelong Mormon and a lifelong Utahn. I do like living here, but am constantly making an effort to extend my social circle to include non-Mormons. In many respects, I feel like I fit in better with non-Mormons than with Mormons.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You really think that LDS society is that different in Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada, or Alberta? I don't.

LDS people and people of demanding religions can become isolated because of their faiths. That doesn't have as much to do with Utah as it does with their individual choices.

I did not grow up in Utah, and I was nonetheless very entrenched and isolated within my church community.
It is different (LDS society) outside of Utah, a lot different. First had experience here.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:39 PM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
It is different (LDS society) outside of Utah, a lot different. First had experience here.
I agree, it is very different in Utah than other states and I have mormon friends that would say the same who have lived in and out of Utah

Old 05-05-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
I agree, it is very different in Utah than other states and I have mormon friends that would say the same who have lived in and out of Utah
Many parts of Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho, and Alberta are demographically similar to most of Utah in that Latter-day Saints form either a majority or plurality of the local population. Gentiles or non-LDS that live in East Valley (Phoenix), Star Valley, Wyoming, eastern Idaho, and southern Alberta express the same concerns (and complaints) those in Utah do about LDS people.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Many parts of Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho, and Alberta are demographically similar to most of Utah in that Latter-day Saints form either a majority or plurality of the local population. Gentiles or non-LDS that live in East Valley (Phoenix), Star Valley, Wyoming, eastern Idaho, and southern Alberta express the same concerns (and complaints) those in Utah do about LDS people.
Personally, I think that the same problem exists pretty much anywhere where there is a single dominant religion. I don't think it's that the people who belong to that religion intentionally ignore "outsiders." It's just that they don't stop and think about how it would feel to be part of the minority. I've done and will continue to do everything I can to change that as it exists in Salt Lake City, but it's going to require that an awful lot of other people do the same, and I just don't think they're even aware that they're part of the problem.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Personally, I think that the same problem exists pretty much anywhere where there is a single dominant religion. I don't think it's that the people who belong to that religion intentionally ignore "outsiders." It's just that they don't stop and think about how it would feel to be part of the minority. I've done and will continue to do everything I can to change that as it exists in Salt Lake City, but it's going to require that an awful lot of other people do the same, and I just don't think they're even aware that they're part of the problem.
Exactly. It's frustrating, however, that people seem to think it is publicly acceptable to malign and complain about LDS and not other minorities/groups of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah