Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:47 PM

24 posts, read 15,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just curious here ...

I lived in California for many years and always had central heating. There was a (gas fired) heating unit in some wall somewhere and then the hot air goes thru heater ducts and comes out in almost every room in the house or apartment.

My wife-to-be lived in an apartment complex that had (electric) floor heating and almost every room had their own heating thermostat.

Now you are telling me you lived thus in California where there was NO heating?

Today I live in a house that has (electric) ceiling heaters (yes the heaters are in the ceiling!) and almost all rooms have individual thermostats. I only heat the bedroom and the bathroom, when I am alone.
When visitors come, I just turn on the thermostat in the living room. My house has 10 inch thick outside solid brick walls and thus the whole house stays cool (No AC needed, and a swamp cooler happens to work in Utah, due to the dryness of the climate) or warm depending on the season. I have no heat in the two basements I have and the temps there, are never lower than about 55.

I am sure that when you find somewhere to live, the heat will be central, and all you could do is close the heater vents in those rooms you are not using. However, it depends on where your thermostat is located. You can NOT close the heater vent, where the thermostat is located. About the only way to save money.

So, in your case, I would open the bedroom and the bathroom vent fully and close the rest of the vents in the rest of the place where you will live.

What kind of personal heater do you use now to keep comfy? Do you have one in each room you like to have warm?

Where will you be attending college or university?
My house does have central heating, but my parents don’t use them because of the potentially high electricity bill. I only use the personal heater in my bedroom on the rare cold occasions or when I’m studying. I’ll be attending the university of Utah this year. Do you have any recommendations on nearby safe neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDaisies View Post
I’ll be attending the university of Utah this year. Do you have any recommendations on nearby safe neighborhoods?
The area right west of the "U" is excellent. And there are a number of rentals near Foothill Boulevard, which is also close to the "U" and a nice, safe neighborhood. Actually, if you wanted to take Trax (our lightrail system) to school, which many students do since it goes all the way from downtown to the University Medical Center, stopping multiple places on campus, you could live anywhere between downtown and the university if you picked someplace between say, 1st South and 6th South.

I'm curious as to what you're going to be studying. It's a graduated degree you're going for, right?

Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Most places use gas heat as it is MUCH cheaper than electric heat.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Most places use gas heat as it is MUCH cheaper than electric heat.
Sure is cheaper, unless you live in an area where there is no gas line ...
I know unbelievable, but I live in a small unincorporated area and there is no gas line available!
Oh yes, I could add one but that would be very expensive for me since I have to pay for the gas line to be installed from about a block away ...

Last edited by irman; 03-07-2018 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDaisies View Post
My house does have central heating, but my parents don’t use them because of the potentially high electricity bill. I only use the personal heater in my bedroom on the rare cold occasions or when I’m studying. I’ll be attending the university of Utah this year. Do you have any recommendations on nearby safe neighborhoods?
OK, I understand.

You might be able to do the same here, all depending on where you will finally settle for the time you will be attending the "U".
If you end up in your own apartment ($$$) you can leave the heat on in the winter months to a very low 50 degrees. Then only use a small space heater and stay in one room only.
The best place to live in, for you, would be to get a Studio apartment where almost everything is in one place.

If you find a room only, then utilities are probably included?

I am not familiar with Apartment Sharing ...

You can almost live anywhere if you are willing to use TRAX, since TRAX has a line going all the way to the centre of the campus. An all year pass on TRAX is cheaper than driving a car ...
Getting around the campus is another subject altogether.
You may be able to use a bicycle on Campus?

Use the maps of TRAX and try to get a place to live very close to a TRAX stop (walking distance)

About having a car available while you are here.
Somewhere I do not find it feasible to get around in the USA, without having a car.
Even if you use public transportation, what do you do when you want to go anywhere else?

So find a place nice and hopefully in a safe area, and then use your car to get to a TRAX station.
Parking is free at the stations.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:32 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,220,033 times
There is a lot of student-oriented housing near the U. You'd be better advised to stay close by. Close to TRAX Red Line stations is an alternative, but I'd not stray too far - as you are coming here to study at the U and not spend time riding TRAX.

Also, I'd suggest you stop taking heating advice from someone who has only heard of electric heat. Do not consider housing without heat - should that be an option.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You can almost live anywhere if you are willing to use TRAX, since TRAX has a line going all the way to the centre of the campus. An all year pass on TRAX is cheaper than driving a car ...
Getting around the campus is another subject altogether.
You may be able to use a bicycle on Campus?
Actually, it goes all the way to University Medical Center, which is pretty much at the far east end of the campus. Also, the campus shuttles are free, frequent, and very convenient.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
There is a lot of student-oriented housing near the U. You'd be better advised to stay close by. Close to TRAX Red Line stations is an alternative, but I'd not stray too far - as you are coming here to study at the U and not spend time riding TRAX.

Also, I'd suggest you stop taking heating advice from someone who has only heard of electric heat. Do not consider housing without heat - should that be an option.
Interesting. I have read every post here and which person is giving advice about heating who only knows electric heating?

Old 03-08-2018, 10:16 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'd never buy a brand new car, as it will depreciate in value the minute it leaves the car lot. I'd go for something a year or two old. I'd try to get an all-wheel drive car if you can. I drive a Toyota Camry (which is front-wheel drive), and it doesn't do nearly as well on snowy roads as my husband's AWD Honda CRV. Do not get a real-wheel drive car. You'd be okay with it 95% of the time, but on snow-packed roads, especially hills, driving it would be a nightmare.
Subaru AWD system is far superior to anything that Honda offers. You can view online comparison test videos that have each brand test on a terrain course using the same conditions and parameters.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
At the end of the day proper tires are way way way more important than drive-train of a vehicle. Even more important than tires are proper driving techniques for the ice and snow.

If this Floridian can learn how to properly drive in the winter in 1 season so can a Californian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah