Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 05:18 PM

123 posts, read 208,796 times

Advertisements

When I search on Craigslist or Rentler for room/shares all the rents in Provo area are significantly cheaper. You can find them as low as $300/month. SLC doesn't have steals like that. It's about $450 at the minimum. Provo is rated as one of the best small to midsize cities for jobs. So it's a toss up between the two. SLC being much larger obviously offers more. But Provo was given quite a distinction and Rated #1 for its size.

My situation: Looking to start over. Lost my job in marketing and now going to start from the beginning. Some sales and customer service experience. Currently self-studying web development so this doesn't ever happen again. I'm relocating from LA but currently in Eugene, OR to check out the area. Great place, but I don't think they have a job market as good as Provo/SLC. I'd stay here, but even the rents available for room/shares aren't that many.

Thank you.

PS: I'm aware that Provo is heavily LDS. But I'm not looking to get married or settle down permanently. Just need a place with low cost of living, good pay for lower paying jobs and plenty of time to study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 06:00 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,791,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
I'm aware that Provo is heavily LDS. But I'm not looking to get married or settle down permanently. Just need a place with low cost of living, good pay for lower paying jobs and plenty of time to study.
So what are you waiting for?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,709,286 times
Quote:
PS: I'm aware that Provo is heavily LDS. But I'm not looking to get married or settle down permanently. Just need a place with low cost of living, good pay for lower paying jobs and plenty of time to study.
I'm sure you could find that in Provo. But, as they say, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." As long as you know that your social life in Provo would be pretty limited, you might as well make the move.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:17 PM

123 posts, read 208,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sure you could find that in Provo. But, as they say, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." As long as you know that your social life in Provo would be pretty limited, you might as well make the move.
Is it pretty unheard of to that kind of thing for someone that isn't LDS? It just seems like an incredibly good area to move to job/cost wise.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Is it pretty unheard of to that kind of thing for someone that isn't LDS? It just seems like an incredibly good area to move to job/cost wise.
It may very well be an excellent choice of a place to move. I would just think that you'd want to move somewhere where you're more likely to be able to make friends. It might be harder in Provo than in Salt Lake, that's all.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 PM

Katz:
He did say:
"I'm aware that Provo is heavily LDS. But I'm not looking to get married or settle down permanently. Just need a place with low cost of living, good pay for lower paying jobs and plenty of time to study".

Nowhere do I read that he is looking for entertainment that, according to most, is only available in the Salt Lake City area.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,612,152 times
What kind of shacks go for $300/mo? My young friends in SLC were happy to find an older place for $850.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What kind of shacks go for $300/mo? My young friends in SLC were happy to find an older place for $850.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went to the resources the OP mentioned, signed up and was actually surprised that you could find rooms for rent for about that amount. The pictorial representation of the buildings where you can find single rooms for rent is not shabby looking at all.

Look at this, for instance, and then wonder ...
https://www.rentler.com/listings/ut/...-rooms/r325835

I did this before you asked the question, just to see where the OP got his info from.

By the way. when you do get around in Provo, not that many "shacks" as you call it, actually can be seen ...

Then I "remembered" a daughter of a friend lived in Provo and shared a house with several other girls. Some of them attended BYU and some did not. She pays a monthly rent of 450 a month ...
I know the area because we have picked her up at her place to get her to the SLC airport.
An older area, but clean looking naighbourhood.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,612,152 times
Didn't realize OP was talking about renting a room vs an apartment.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Didn't realize OP was talking about renting a room vs an apartment.
I didn't either. I guess none of us have been paying full attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: