U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 5,379 times

Advertisements

Born & raised in California (& have never lived in any other state), I have a hard time thinking about moving to Utah but the time has come that we have to leave the state. My husband has been to Utah enough to know that he wants to move there but I can't get much detailed & current information from him. That's where I turn to you.

We have a 4 yr old and a 7 yr old so we are very interested to find a community that is big on family activities and has great schools. However, we are NOT LDS. This is where my concern comes in. I'm sensitive to my children being raised in a community where we may be frowned upon or excluded for NOT being LDS. We are not religious at all. Though I've talked to my kids about religion (I was raised Catholic) we do not practice at all. Can anyone please give me some insight into what it is like to raise a family in Utah that is not LDS? Are there communities where we can thrive and fit in considering we do not have the same beliefs? And are there any communities that we should AVOID in this respect? Please understand that we do not frown upon LDS, it just isn't our own belief.

I am not familiar with most areas of Utah (I've flown into SLC and driven to Park City but that's it) so I am open to any and all suggestions. As for some insight into our lifestyles: we are not very political but we tend to lean towards conservative, our kids have both been in a Montessori school since they were each 18 months old. We love to get out in nature, water ski, go out on a boat, ride bikes, ski/snowboard, skateboard, rock climb, hike, go out to eat/drink (especially wine tasting), attend social events, attend concerts, go to our local zoo and museums, have easy access to an airport and have access to shopping. We come from a town on the water so we would love to be close to a lake but it is not a deal breaker. We also come from a home that has a KILLER view of the mountains so we would feel a lot more at home with a view of nature, if possible.

Thanks so much for reading & for the time you take in giving me suggestions. We greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 08:08 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,995,378 times
I would strongly consider Cottonwood Heights, if I were you. It's very, very close to the mountains (i.e. 10 minutes), and within a 25-minute drive of downtown Salt Lake. There are a lot of new families moving into the area, and from what I can tell, a great many of them are not LDS. The area is growing and thriving, and the new schools attest to that. There is also the Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center that provides swimming (including lessons for all ages), ice skating (lessons, too), an indoor track, handball, gym, etc. It's probably about the nicest facility of its kind in the state. I think you'd feel really welcome here and would totally enjoy it.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:12 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
What is your budget to rent or buy? Where will the job (s) be? Salt Lake City is probably your best best but Stansbury Park could work as well.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 AM

Thank you Katzpur for the suggestion of Cottonwood Heights. I will definitely look further into it! SouthernBelleInUtah, our budget to rent would be up to $3000/month or to buy up to about $1.5M. Job is not an issue as my husband is looking to retire. I'll look into Stansbury Park. And are there any particular communities within SLC that would be a good fit for my young, non-LDS family? Thanks!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:45 AM

21,867 posts, read 21,995,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwinsb View Post
Thank you Katzpur for the suggestion of Cottonwood Heights. I will definitely look further into it! SouthernBelleInUtah, our budget to rent would be up to $3000/month or to buy up to about $1.5M. Job is not an issue as my husband is looking to retire. I'll look into Stansbury Park. And are there any particular communities within SLC that would be a good fit for my young, non-LDS family? Thanks!
Holy cow! You can buy any house in Cottonwood Heights you want for that kind of money. There probably are some homes for that price here, but you'll be able to get something really nice for that amount. And you could easily find an incredible place to rent anywhere in the city for $2,000 a month.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:07 PM

The Avenues and Sugar House are fairly popular neighborhoods in SLC. The Avenues is more expensive. I lived in a 1922 Craftsman bungalow in Sugar House and loved it. You could rent for a while to scope out areas. Pepperwood is another popular and expensive area near Cottonwood.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Thanks for all of the neighborhood suggestions! My husband is traveling to SLC & Park City next week so I will give him these ideas for him to check out. Much appreciated!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 PM

3,144 posts, read 3,069,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwinsb View Post

Congratulations!

I'm guessing the reasons for leaving California are for other reasons besides financial which is what I understandably hear from people all the time? I know, none of my business, lol!

Good luck, Utah is a BEAUTIFUL state and hubs and I are considering it ourselves if he can work remote.

I'm not LDS myself, but would have no problem living there.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,485 times
Default Another SLC prospect. Advice?

Anyone have similar input for someone of far more modest means, also non-LDS and looking to move to SLC area (within an hour's drive? I'm looking to rent short-term til I get to know the area better, then buy. My rent budget would be around $1,000/month, mortgage up to maybe $1,500/month (give or take). We're hoping to find an older neighborhood with nice older homes (that Craftsman bungalow soounds just about right!) Just me, a grown son and our cat. View and nature also important. I got here looking or the same type info as jmwinsb otherwise, and really appreciate those responses as well. Thanks!-jbaseden

Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM

In 2006 my bungalow sold for about $265K, which I thought was a steal. Don't know what prices are like today. Don't know what size mortgage would give you that payment, better to state buying price. Not sure what $1K will get you to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah