Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 6,853 times

Advertisements

I decided to move to Utah County to attend Utah Valley University because of the cheaper tuition compared to schools in my hometown of Pomona. I was attracted to Utah Valley because of the politically conservative culture as I quite frankly hate the liberal policies that have completely wrecked southern California and to be honest, I am not a fan of diversity, sorry. This just comes from experience, I am by no means racist but highly diverse areas attract more crime and degeneracy, I grew up in L.A. county and always felt sketchy. However, the Mormon culture sure is a bit much. I don't want to judge and generalize, but I'm afraid to even try and go meet friends or date women because of the Mormon culture and expectations. I respect their honor code, even though I'm an open-minded individual who has tried many things in the past, but still I'm all for it if it makes better and safer communities...but the dating aspect freaks me out and I feel even more alone than usual. I'm not a very social person so not having a friends isn't a big deal but I feel like it's unlikely to meet many libertarian types of individuals who are more carefree who are into more "hip" interests in art and music. Thankfully, SLC is a short drive but I wouldn't want to move there due to the higher cost and the more pretentious liberal culture.

Does anyone have advice of how to relieve the alienation? I can live with not having much friends, but the feeling that even if I wanted to I would have no chance or would not connect as well if I did make because of the fundamental religious beliefs that are rampant in the Utah Valley is a bit bleak. Also, if there are any cities that are close enough to UVU in either Utah or Salt Lake County that is a bit more open-minded and not highly LDS please feel free to suggest.

Last edited by cultoftime; 08-10-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Being a libertarian these days is really being caught between a rock and a hard place. Liberals think you're too conservative and conservatives think you're too liberal.

I wish I had an answer for you. However, I do think you went from one extreme to another. There are areas that are more of a happy medium between liberal SoCal and conservative Utah County.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
What about joining a student group? It looks like UVU has a chapter of Young Americans for Liberty - that could be a group to find your "tribe" of potentially like minded individuals?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/YAL.UVU/about/

Old 08-11-2018, 08:01 AM

678 posts, read 1,065,036 times
This answer is simple, the task not so much. You assimilate into the local culture. Learn about it, respect it, accept it and live by it. As Eastern DC has indicated, you join university organizations and that will help socially a great deal. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:10 AM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
This answer is simple, the task not so much. You assimilate into the local culture. Learn about it, respect it, accept it and live by it. As Eastern DC has indicated, you join university organizations and that will help socially a great deal. Good luck.
Yeah, but it's really not simple. Unless you've ever lived in Utah County, you don't realize how different it really is.

To the OP: I am an LDS woman, more than likely old enough to be your grandmother. You can accept and live by the LDS culture, but unless you can truly internalize it and make its values your own, you're probably going to continue to struggle where you are now. You can be entirely tolerant towards the LDS people in Utah County, but I doubt you'll ever feel at home there. I would suggest you move to Salt Lake County and commute. If you lived in the downtown Salt Lake City area, you could take Frontrunner to UVU, avoid all of the problems with the traffic, and just enjoy the ride every day while you were studying or reading. Salt Lake City is definitely more liberal than anywhere in Utah County as well as more diverse, but it would still not be like moving back to the L.A. area. You'd probably be much, much happier here.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:10 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultoftime View Post
I decided to move to Utah County to attend Utah Valley University because of the cheaper tuition compared to schools in my hometown of Pomona. I was attracted to Utah Valley because of the politically conservative culture as I quite frankly hate the liberal policies that have completely wrecked southern California and to be honest, I am not a fan of diversity, sorry. This just comes from experience, I am by no means racist but highly diverse areas attract more crime and degeneracy, I grew up in L.A. county and always felt sketchy. However, the Mormon culture sure is a bit much. I don't want to judge and generalize, but I'm afraid to even try and go meet friends or date women because of the Mormon culture and expectations. I respect their honor code, even though I'm an open-minded individual who has tried many things in the past, but still I'm all for it if it makes better and safer communities...but the dating aspect freaks me out and I feel even more alone than usual. I'm not a very social person so not having a friends isn't a big deal but I feel like it's unlikely to meet many libertarian types of individuals who are more carefree who are into more "hip" interests in art and music. Thankfully, SLC is a short drive but I wouldn't want to move there due to the higher cost and the more pretentious liberal culture.

Does anyone have advice of how to relieve the alienation? I can live with not having much friends, but the feeling that even if I wanted to I would have no chance or would not connect as well if I did make because of the fundamental religious beliefs that are rampant in the Utah Valley is a bit bleak. Also, if there are any cities that are close enough to UVU in either Utah or Salt Lake County that is a bit more open-minded and not highly LDS please feel free to suggest.
I'll start by admitting I'm no fan of either ultra-conservatives or extreme libertarians.

However, you want advice, I will try to give you my honest take on your situation.

You began by boxing yourself in. The Mormon culture in Utah County is "too much" for you, yet you are afraid of dealing with "the pretentious liberal culture" in Salt Lake. I admit that Utah is different and there is quite a variation between Utah County and Salt Lake City in terms of politics, cultural attitudes, and religious values.

I think you need to ask yourself if Utah is really right for you. I don't want to be rude, but the reality is the state is 60% LDS and anywhere you go there is going to be a heavy LDS influence. Maybe somewhere in the South or Midwest would be more to your liking?

If you are going to choose to remain in Utah, I think its time for some acceptance on your part. The LDS Church isn't going anywhere. The culture around Salt Lake City probably isn't going to change much. Maybe some area in between Salt Lake City and Utah County would work for you. However, be aware that areas like Murray, Midvale, West Jordan, South Jordan and Draper are suburbs that are mostly filled with young families. You may find you don't have much in common with those people either.

All the cities in Utah County are pretty much alike. You're going to see the same cultural/religious/social diaspora that you would see in Provo or Orem.

Frankly, what you are describing is not new to me. I've seen other non-Mormon conservative people who felt they would be right at home in Utah because Utah has a reputation for being so conservative. Than, they get here, and they immediately feel excluded and isolated because they are not of the predominant religion in this area. Over the years, I've seen most of them slowly move out of the area. I'm not saying that you should. I simply acknowledge that your task of fitting in is a formidable one.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:12 PM

272 posts, read 270,694 times
Take up a hobby and create a tinder profile.

On tinder, click on every profile you see and if it says LDS, swipe left, if not, swipe right. You're bound to get a few dozen matches that you can maybe network with. For some odd reason, Mormons love to tell the world they're Mormon, so they'll list it in their profile while the rest of the world will pretty much omit religion from personal profiles.

As for hobbies, you can join social media groups related to whatever hobby you're interested in and socialize from there. Me personally, I'm big into outdoors, motorcycles, cars, firearms, DIY projects, aquaponics, water gardens, and playing poker. When I was single, I signed up for meetup.com and joined a dozen facebook groups dedicated to the hobbies I was interested in. As a result, I've made life long friends from all walks of life based on the one connection we share.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 AM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Blessing be.
Back at ya! And I hope something works out for you.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cultoftime View Post

I have a similar background and mindset as you but don't live in Utah county. I would suggest finding a local bar hangout and attending a few BYU games in the "tailgating section".

There are many libertarians here in Utah we saw a great deal of them at the Gary Johnson rallies the last two elections. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:22 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Being a libertarian these days is really being caught between a rock and a hard place. Liberals think you're too conservative and conservatives think you're too liberal.

I wish I had an answer for you. However, I do think you went from one extreme to another. There are areas that are more of a happy medium between liberal SoCal and conservative Utah County.

Libertarians are far far more conservative in many respects than the GOP. Just look at the last budget proposed by Ryan and Trump. Essentially they ditched the entire platform of fiscal responsibility and failed a basic math test.

It's just the christian values aspect in government where you start to really lose us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah